VAICOM PRO plugin for VoiceAttack

Hollywood_315

I apparently had not updated Voice Attack in a while, updated to latest version now it is working fine.

Thanks,

There’s a new Beta version of VoiceAttack available, as I just updated to it a few minutes go. I have never had any issues with updating to VoiceAttack’s Beta Software. I cannot say that for other vendors. And, I’ve been in the IT industry for almost 40 years. :music_whistling:

Edited by bradleyjs
Clarity

Alienware Area 51 R5 - Intel i9 7980XE (4.7 GHz), 32GB Dual Channel HyperX DDR4 XMP, Dual NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Graphics 11GB GDDR5X SLI, 4.5 TB combo of SSDs/HDDs, Alienware 1500 Watt Multi-GPU Power Supply, Alienware 25” 240Hz Gaming Monitor, Alienware Pro Gaming Keyboard, TM HOTAS, TM Cougar F-16C MFDs, Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals, TrackIR5, Win10 Pro x64

There’s a new Beta version of VoiceAttack available, as I just updated to it a few minutes go. I have never had any issues with updating to VoiceAttack’s Beta Software. I cannot say that for other vendors. And, I’ve been in the IT industry for almost 40 years. :music_whistling:

Thanks I might check it out.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Stoopied question. But you have, of course, made sure you've tuned the radio to the tanker?

"VoiceAttack" say the command. You mean the "confirmation beep"?

What does the VoiceAttack log show?

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

The really strange part is that I can make the Requesting Rearming voice command work fine.

I also hear VA make the correct Approching for Refuel request. But the game does not respond when it comes from VA. I always end up using the keyboard.

When I have VoiceAttack up on my desktop, the user manual comes up when I hit "F1". Anyway to turn that off? I believe it is conflicting with the command for "Approaching for Refuel" on my end.
That's totally by design. F1 is the common shortcut for the help file in Windows programs. So no, I don't think it can't be turned off. It only works for the program in focus though. And if you see it front of let's say DCS, then DCS is not in focus. UNLESS you have forced it to "Always on top". You haven't done that by mistake?

The really strange part is that I can make the Requesting Rearming voice command work fine.

I also hear VA make the correct Approching for Refuel request. But the game does not respond when it comes from VA. I always end up using the keyboard.

"The really strange part is that I can make the Requesting Rearming voice command work fine."

Just guessing here. Sorry for long posting.

1. F-5E Just played a mission, and was returning to base for rearming after shooting up some insurgents, and couldn't contact ATC. First I thought it was the mountains that blocked. I believe you sort of need line of sight. At least for TACAN, and that I've tested.

Came around the mountains, still no ATC, now my ASI was already malfunctioning and the gear warning blaring as well. So, hmm did they shoot up my radio too?

Landed RRR no problem. Opened brief and yes, they had shot off radio antenna.

For some reason I didn't need to open the cockpit, I thought that was mandatory without radio. My point is, I didn't need radio on the ground, because it is the grond crew that is responding. You can actually test this by try hailing the ground crew from the air.

2. F-16 Tried RedKite's excellent refueling mission. Tanker spawned right in front of me so I didn't bother tuning TACAN, just COM1.

Summoned tanker. No reply. Several times.

But then I noticed it kept circling, and I was trying the straight line mission or whatever it was called. So pressing F2 I found the other 2 tankers in that mission. Didn't know that all them were present at the same time.

Well. Tuned TACAN, turned around. Tried to summon Texaco again. No response. But I heard the confirmation beep from VAICOM, flew closer took at least 5 minutes. And then response. So I guess DCS simulates long distance or something, because this time had clear line of site even if it was far away....

But in your case it worked with the keyboard, so you must be in both tune and range. But what do you mean by?

"I also hear VA make the correct Approching for Refuel request."

And what does the log say? Screenshot?

So I sort of made progress @hollywood_315 and i got the game to import the f10 menu commands (from other) to Vaicom Pro, but it's having a hard time understanding the phrases, for example one phrase that works is, action request f15 support. But if I want to call in a said strike for a particular region on the map the following which is listed as the phrase, in the keyword editor doesn't work..... : Action, SEAD attack commence.

Finally, when importing f10 menu commands is there a way to not have to say "action" every time?? Or can the entire phrase be changed

Edited by Badass1982

I've done RedKite's mission a few times, loading up on fuel at each of the 3 tankers, by flying between them, in Texaco, Shell, Arco order, using Tacan to find the latter 2, so I know it works. However, I do just use the DED to set the TACAN up, as I am not aware how to use VAICOM for this purpose. Things to check are, perhaps obviously, the correct channel, including 'Y" has been set. Also, make sure that you have the eHSI in 'TCN' mode, usually with 2 presses of the centre button. It is worth noting that since the last DCS update, the distance to the tankers is no longer displayed, even on the X channel, which is how it should work. Apparently K135 tankers do not transmit range info or anything on the X channel

As for selecting each of the tankers' radio frequency, it tend to use "Texaco Select", for example, and then "Request for Refuel", both while holding the TX2(COM1) PTT button.

Btw, the mountains and range do interfere with radio comms, but no response should be replaced by a quiet/crackly reception and then a clearing message as you get closer and out of the shadow of mountains.

That's totally by design. F1 is the common shortcut for the help file in Windows programs. So no, I don't think it can't be turned off. It only works for the program in focus though. And if you see it front of let's say DCS, then DCS is not in focus. UNLESS you have forced it to "Always on top". You haven't done that by mistake?

Yes VA is the focus as I try to create a new command. Since "Approaching for Refuel" was not working for me, I tried to make a new command using the appropriate keystrokes. That's when the manual comes up when selecting "F1".

Thanks

"The really strange part is that I can make the Requesting Rearming voice command work fine."

Just guessing here. Sorry for long posting.

1. F-5E Just played a mission, and was returning to base for rearming after shooting up some insurgents, and couldn't contact ATC. First I thought it was the mountains that blocked. I believe you sort of need line of sight. At least for TACAN, and that I've tested.

Came around the mountains, still no ATC, now my ASI was already malfunctioning and the gear warning blaring as well. So, hmm did they shoot up my radio too?

Landed RRR no problem. Opened brief and yes, they had shot off radio antenna.

For some reason I didn't need to open the cockpit, I thought that was mandatory without radio. My point is, I didn't need radio on the ground, because it is the grond crew that is responding. You can actually test this by try hailing the ground crew from the air.

2. F-16 Tried RedKite's excellent refueling mission. Tanker spawned right in front of me so I didn't bother tuning TACAN, just COM1.

Summoned tanker. No reply. Several times.

But then I noticed it kept circling, and I was trying the straight line mission or whatever it was called. So pressing F2 I found the other 2 tankers in that mission. Didn't know that all them were present at the same time.

Well. Tuned TACAN, turned around. Tried to summon Texaco again. No response. But I heard the confirmation beep from VAICOM, flew closer took at least 5 minutes. And then response. So I guess DCS simulates long distance or something, because this time had clear line of site even if it was far away....

But in your case it worked with the keyboard, so you must be in both tune and range. But what do you mean by?

"I also hear VA make the correct Approching for Refuel request."

And what does the log say? Screenshot?

This is a screenshot of 1st requesting the tanker using VA.

It appear to recognize the command.

I hear VA issue the Command.

The tanker does not reply.

The 2nd is requesting the tanker using \ Tanker F1

It recognizes the command

I hear the Command

The tanker answers

To me it all looks right

1683547001_screenshotofVoiceAttackF16TankercallsFollowedbyakeyboard.png.113045ff09d8420286a380b15b10e0b0.png

The tanker will only reply if the radio associated with the PTT button that you pressed has been set with the correct frequency for that tanker.

If you are convinced that you have set the right frequency, usually on the UHF radio (Comm 1), then make sure that it is the associated PTT button that you are pressing when you speak. By the way the numbers on the PTT buttons doesn't match the comm numbers, so you would need to press PTT 2 to speak on comm 1.

The tanker will only reply if the radio associated with the PTT button that you pressed has been set with the correct frequency for that tanker.

If you are convinced that you have set the right frequency, usually on the UHF radio (Comm 1), then make sure that it is the associated PTT button that you are pressing when you speak. By the way the numbers on the PTT buttons doesn't match the comm numbers, so you would need to press PTT 2 to speak on comm 1.

Thanks for helping Greyman much appreciated. I'm sure I've tune the radio properly especially since it work when I go back to keystroke mode.

I also went back and disabled the PTT 2 keybinding. that didn't help it. It's very frustrating, when I jump into the F18 it work no problem.

No worries, but there must be something that you can do to get this working, as it definitely works for me.

Looking at your VA log, there is something that looks different to mine and that is the fact that you appear to have both TX buttons pressed at the same time and although I know you say that you have disabled one of the channels, this might still be confusing VAICOM. Have you tried just using the button associated with the UHF radio?

I've just updated my PC, where do I get a copy of my pro licence that I purchased along with the chatter, I can't seem to find any references in old emails :(

AMD Ryzen 9 7845HX with Radeon Graphics           3.00 GHz

32 GB RAM

2 TB SSD

RTX 4070 8GB

Windows 11 64 bit

No worries, but there must be something that you can do to get this working, as it definitely works for me.

Looking at your VA log, there is something that looks different to mine and that is the fact that you appear to have both TX buttons pressed at the same time and although I know you say that you have disabled one of the channels, this might still be confusing VAICOM. Have you tried just using the button associated with the UHF radio?

This is the log after I removed that key, does it look more like yours?

1071759945_screenshotofVoiceAttackF16TankercallsFollowedbyakeyboardvers2.png.9e59862cb9b252723b2a6900f4780883.png

Yup, that looks more like my log and DCS still doesn't respond?

Edit: Wait a minute though, i've just spotted a couple of differences that might explain your issue. You are using TX1 and although your setup might be different to mine, on my PTT display, the TX1 PTT selects the VHF radio. As the frequencies provided are UHF frequencies, you need to press TX2.

That one is more likely to be the cause, but there is something else that looks a little odd, and that is that my commands, remembering that the log works bottom to top, are all fully enclosed within a press / release "bracket" for the PTT button. For example :-

14:18:59 - Joystick : 'Transmit TX2 release'

14:18:58 - TX2 | UHF Radio AN/ARC-164: [ Tanker ],[ ],[ ] Intent to Refuel [ ] [ ]

14:18:58 - Recognized : 'approaching for refuel' (Confidence 93)

14:18:56 - Listening resumed

14:18:56 - Joystick : 'Transmit TX2 press'

yours, on the other hand, appear to be ordered slightly differently, in that your press and release "brackets" appear to be the other way round.

I'd try using TX2 first and if that doesn't work, or if Hollywood doesn't come up with the actual solution, you might want to look at how you have defined the press and release actions in Voice Attack. I know that you say the Hornet works, which would indicate that there shouldn't be a problem with those actions, but your log does look a little odd. maybe just hold onto the PTT button for a little longer?

2079222746_VAlog.png.94e74bc47692016c44ea40a6b99edba8.png

Edited by Greyman

Yup, that looks more like my log and DCS still doesn't respond?

Edit: Wait a minute though, i've just spotted a couple of differences that might explain your issue. You are using TX1 and although your setup might be different to mine, on my PTT display, the TX1 PTT selects the VHF radio. As the frequencies provided are UHF frequencies, you need to press TX2.

That one is more likely to be the cause, but there is something else that looks a little odd, and that is that my commands, remembering that the log works bottom to top, are all fully enclosed within a press / release "bracket" for the PTT button. For example :-

14:18:59 - Joystick : 'Transmit TX2 release'

14:18:58 - TX2 | UHF Radio AN/ARC-164: [ Tanker ],[ ],[ ] Intent to Refuel [ ] [ ]

14:18:58 - Recognized : 'approaching for refuel' (Confidence 93)

14:18:56 - Listening resumed

14:18:56 - Joystick : 'Transmit TX2 press'

yours, on the other hand, appear to be ordered slightly differently, in that your press and release "brackets" appear to be the other way round.

I'd try using TX2 first and if that doesn't work, or if Hollywood doesn't come up with the actual solution, you might want to look at how you have defined the press and release actions in Voice Attack. I know that you say the Hornet works, which would indicate that there shouldn't be a problem with those actions, but your log does look a little odd. maybe just hold onto the PTT button for a little longer?

To Transmit on TX2 do I need to assign another button on my HOTAS?

i wouldn't have thought so. as the Hornet uses TX1 and TX2 you should already have it available. If you look at the PTT page on the VAICOM config dialogue, for either aircraft, you should see that TX1 and TX2 are being used, as they both have now emboldened text describing the radio that they link to.

Also, looking at your log again, it looks like VA is still listening to your MIC, even after it has said that listening is suspended. However, i am fairly sure that the statements it recognises in that mode will not be processed by VAICOM, which is probably why the press and release actions in VA are so important. There might be a logical explanation for this, but i'm afraid that i don't know what it is and what the fix might be. Hopefully, somebody else might know.

Edit: ah, do you have SNGL selected on the 4-position knob on the PTT tab? Mine is set to NORM, which effectively allocates one dedicated switch per radio, whereas, if i understand it correctly, the SNGL mode allows you to use one PTT to control all of your radios. If that is how you have it set, then you can disregard my advice about using TX2

Edited by Greyman

i wouldn't have thought so. as the Hornet uses TX1 and TX2 you should already have it available. If you look at the PTT page on the VAICOM config dialogue, for either aircraft, you should see that TX1 and TX2 are being used, as they both have now emboldened text describing the radio that they link to.

Also, looking at your log again, it looks like VA is still listening to your MIC, even after it has said that listening is suspended. However, i am fairly sure that the statements it recognises in that mode will not be processed by VAICOM, which is probably why the press and release actions in VA are so important. There might be a logical explanation for this, but i'm afraid that i don't know what it is and what the fix might be. Hopefully, somebody else might know.

Edit: ah, do you have SNGL selected on the 4-position knob on the PTT tab? Mine is set to NORM, which effectively allocates one dedicated switch per radio, whereas, if i understand it correctly, the SNGL mode allows you to use one PTT to control all of your radios. If that is how you have it set, then you can disregard my advice about using TX2

Greyman you were completely right it was that I wasn't transmitting to TX2. I now have Transmit TX2 only set to TX2.

The other thing I noticed was that in the PTT screen it was on MAN.

Since my PTT is only set to TX2 does that mean the I can oonly use UHF?

Well this is what my config window looks like and it was the knob on the left that i was talking about, so if your screen looks like this, then you will need to have at least 2 PTT buttons assigned, to allow you to use both of the radios.

This is how my PTT is setup. Does that mean you have two physical buttons assigned as PTT?

PTT.png.c701a4d7ce40d0c916bf2702766bc665.png