Fix jumpy throttle

Hi everyone, I have a Thrustmaster TWCS throttle, and it gets a little jumpy when you push it really lightly. What can I do to prevent that? I can access the rails the throttle slides on just fine, but type of lube should I put on it? Thanks!

AMD 5600X -- Gigabyte RTX 3070 Vision -- 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 -- HP Reverb G2 -- Logitech 3D Extreme Pro -- Thrustmaster TWCS

BRRRT!  Car and aviation enthusiast, gun nut and computer nerd! 🙂

Does it get better if you quickly slide it through it's full range a few times?

If so it's probably a dirty sensor pot. Electrical contact cleaner there.

If it's mechanical you can use any grease that's labeled safe for plastic, usually silicone based.

Edited by Perfesser

Does it get better if you quickly slide it through it's full range a few times?

If so it's probably a dirty sensor pot. Electrical contact cleaner there.

If it's mechanical you can use any grease that's labeled safe for plastic, usually silicone based.

Yes, I mean a mechanical jumpiness, not in-game sensor type. Are there any specific silicone based lubricants that you can recommend?

AMD 5600X -- Gigabyte RTX 3070 Vision -- 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 -- HP Reverb G2 -- Logitech 3D Extreme Pro -- Thrustmaster TWCS

I've not tried using either of these greases on a throttle yet as I've not encountered a problem, but I have used both of these on a stick

First is Tamiya Cera Grease, Boron Nitride grease for model electrical motors, plastic friendly. A lighter grease, it worked well on a Hog stick but won't last so long. If you're not wanting a heavier pull and want to make the movement light.

top.jpg

Second that many recommend here and works great in my Hog stick at the moment is Nyogel 767a Damping Grease, a sticky heavy viscous grease. Works great on the Hog stick giving a heavy almost Hydraulic feel

nye767a_10g.jpg

Dunno if that helps or not

Jazon, I have the same throttle, unscrewed all the friction screw and used alot of silicon grease on the rails (you can just put it with your fingers from the open side and don't need to open it), it's smooth and precise

Jazon, I have the same throttle, unscrewed all the friction screw and used alot of silicon grease on the rails (you can just put it with your fingers from the open side and don't need to open it), it's smooth and precise

Ahh okay, thanks. I tried using those silicon lube sprays, but they were too thin and didn't last more than like a few hours, so I guess I'll look for some silicon paste type of lube.

EDIT: Do you think just some caliper grease or brake grease would work?

Edited by JazonXD

Ahh okay, thanks. I tried using those silicon lube sprays, but they were too thin and didn't last more than like a few hours, so I guess I'll look for some silicon paste type of lube.

EDIT: Do you think just some caliper grease or brake grease would work?

Buy the proper grease. Petroleum based grease could soften/melt the plastic. I bought a small tube for under $10 ( at the very same CT store on Steeles you'll probably go to).

Edited by Perfesser

A medium thickness silicone grease can be found at your local hardware or home supply store. It's called "plumbers grease" and it's inexpensive in a small quantity tube. If you need to get inside the TWCS to apply the grease to the total contact area, this video will show you how. Disassembly begins at 20:24

CPU: i7 980x @ 4.2GHz RAM: 24gb Corsair Vengeance

MB: Gigabyte Sniper X58 w/onboard Soundblaster X-Fi

HD: SanDisk 480gb SSD OS: Win7 Pro 64bit

VIDEO CARD: EVGA GTX 980ti FTW

MONITOR: LG 34" Ultrawide 2560x1080

MP SERVER: ibuypower i7-4810MQ w/Win7 Home 64bit

GEAR: Saitek X-52 Pro; Combat Rudder Pedals; Throttle Quadrants. Thrustmaster MFD's, TrackIR 5 w/Pro Clip, Turtle Beach X-12 Headset