4k Success in A/A Multiplayer?

wilbur81

Hey, Gents.

I've looked through the "DCS at 4K" thread (maybe should've posted this there?), but wanted to ask the above question. In the past, I've been able to hold my own in the F-15C in Multiplayer, WVR and WEZ of BVR evironments. However, since upgrading to 4k on a big screen, I REALLY struggle with Air to Air due to visibility issues. So, my question:

Can anyone comment on how they've found BVR and WVR air-to-air success using 4K in Multiplayer?

Thanks!

Edited by wilbur81

i7 8700K @ Stock - Win10 64 - 32 RAM - RTX 3080 12gb OC - 55 inch 4k Display

It's almost impossible. I fly in 4K with a large group that I know and trust so we run a realistic label mod that places a "." Where an aircraft should be at only visible distances. It allows me to function and fight a2a. Outside of that DCS is broken for us users in very high res or VR with higher pixel density. Hopefully they revamp the scaling system since most everyone should be running higher resolutions now. In larger public servers that probably won't work as the label mods don't work when labels are turned off.

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | ASUS Crosshair Hero X670E | 64GB G Skill Trident Z DDR5 6000 | Nvidia RTX 4090 FE| Samsung EVO Plus 6 TB M.2 PCIe SSDs | TM Hornet Stick/WinWing Hornet Throttle and MIP | VPC T-50 Stick Base | TM TPR Rudder Pedals W/Damper | Varjo Aero/Pimax Crystal

VFA-25 Fist of the Fleet

Carrier Strike Group One(CSG-1) Discord

I agree, It is pretty bad. My friends always laugh during my "This sim has LOD issues!" outbursts during multiplayer sessions. To be able to see and spot properly is fundamental to flying.

DCS is a good sim, but if this thing gets fixed it will be the greatest. There is no one happy with the spotting as is, so I really hope that better spotting gets prioritized.

I think its on the list for this year but it has been on the list for a couple of years now.

Just a matter of time I guess...

Edited by BIGNEWY

I fly the Sabre in 4K and find now in 2.5 that I can spot bogeys as far out as 20Km in perfect conditions when they are above the horizon. Below the horizon is a different story and the addition of light glinting off of the canopy and polished metal would significantly add to acquisition of targets. At the merge, it is now significantly easier and I think more realistic to maintain visual contact with bandits even without the HUD cues and other aids found on more modern aircraft or the use of spotting aids like icons or scaling, although I am not opposed to either since even a 4k monitor only simulates a poor vision in the real world.

In short, for WVR combat the Sabre and Mig-15 are the most difficult since merge speeds are much higher and vertical changes much greater than WWII a/c and you don't have the technical aids of third and fourth generation fighters to aid in target acquisition. There are plenty of kills scored on Korea 1952! server even though many are playing in 4k like I do.

At the merge, it is now significantly easier and I think more realistic to maintain visual contact with bandits even without the HUD cues and other aids found on more modern aircraft or the use of spotting aids like icons or scaling, although I am not opposed to either since even a 4k monitor only simulates a poor vision in the real world.

Significantly easier? Not really. However, I do agree about the realism factor. My suspicion has been that the visibility factor of 4k in DCS is actually more realistic than spotting in lower resolutions like 1080p. However, the problem in MP, of course, is that not everyone else is using 4k...thus the "unfair" advantage for the lower res crowd. I agree, in WVR combat, all the frantic searching for a tally required at 4k seems more close to the real world. Canopy glint and sun reflection would help for sure.

i7 8700K @ Stock - Win10 64 - 32 RAM - RTX 3080 12gb OC - 55 inch 4k Display