Polite reminder, might be worth deleting the FXO and metashaders folders again

Mr_sukebe

Chaps,

I'm conscious that it was previously identified that the FXO and metashaders folders within our Saved Games folder were potentially causing some stutters due to the game engine addressing an ever increasing list of files. The easy solution being to delete the folders, which are then re-created by the game, but this time empty.

With the latest update, probably worth deleting them again.

Note that this will actually increase the load times on the first new load, but post that, should help.

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

Chaps,

I'm conscious that it was previously identified that the FXO and metashaders folders within our Saved Games folder were potentially causing some stutters due to the game engine addressing an ever increasing list of files. The easy solution being to delete the folders, which are then re-created by the game, but this time empty.

With the latest update, probably worth deleting them again.

Note that this will actually increase the load times on the first new load, but post that, should help.

Thank you! Excellent reminder.

I had indeed been suffering from this issue. (Along with my teamspeak playing up because of overwritten files).

Sometimes its easy to forget these little gems! :)

Techlabs Chameleon Watercooled Gaming PC - Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.7GHz : Samsung 950 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 500 gig SSD, Seagate 1TB 7200RPM Drive : MSI GeForce GTX 1080 "Founders Edition" 8192MB : 800W '80 Plus Gold' Modular Power Supply : 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 PC4-25600C16 3200MHz : Occulus Rift S : TM Warthog : MFG Crosswind V2 : Win 10 64. PointCTRL.

Thank you for this tip, Mr.Sukebe. :thumbup:

I've just tried this for the first time.

Did notice some longer loading times.

Ingame i had still some stutters, especialy looking to the ground while in flight.

Asus ROG Maximus X HERO | I7 8700k @ 5.1Ghz | Corsair Vengeance 32GB DDR4-3200 | Samsung 960 PRO m2 1TB | ASUS GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Strix OC Gaming 11G

Tagan TG900-BZ PipeRock 900W | Oculus Rift CV | TM Warthog #67074 | Saitek Pro Flight Combat Rudder Pedals | Windows 10 Enterprise x64

I always delete them after an update, because I'll rather wait for a couple of minutes during the rebuild instead of potentially suffering all kinds of glitchy BS later.

The DCS Mi-8MTV2. The best aviational BBW experience you could ever dream of.

• 2 months later...

Quick question

After 2.5.2 OB update 2 I deleted Fxo and metashaders2 folders thinking that DCS would recompile them as usual at the next start

But after I loaded the sim and used it I checked if the new files had been recompiled in Fxo and metashaders2

And I found metashaders2 folder empty

Nothing is there

But the sim works fine actually

Is this even possible?

Am I missing something?

Does DCS still use metashaders2 or not?

Also I remember in the past the folder was called metashaders and not metashaders2

Has something changed here also?

Quick question

After 2.5.2 OB update 2 I deleted Fxo and metashaders2 folders thinking that DCS would recompile them as usual at the next start

But after I loaded the sim and used it I checked if the new files had been recompiled in Fxo and metashaders2

Nothing is there

Is this even possible?

Am I missing something?

Also I remember in the past the folder was called metashaders and not metashaders2

Yep, something changed. I also noticed that the metashaders2 stays empty since the 2.5.2 update.

Has something changed in how DCS is loading these shaders now?

[ i7 8700K@5Ghz (LC) - GTX 1080 TI (LC) - 32GB G.Skill Flare X 3200 - Gigabyte Z370 Aorus Gaming K3 - Samsung 970 PRO NVME SSD - LG 34" Ultra Wide - HTC Vive - Virpil MongoosT-50/WarBRD Base ]

Why does this manual "dance" persist if this is a known performance issue? Why wouldn't the game do this internally?

Just curious.

indeed, valid question

I just delete them with every update since 2.5.x, better safe than BSOD

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

I always delete them after an update, because I'll rather wait for a couple of minutes during the rebuild instead of potentially suffering all kinds of glitchy BS later.

Same here. :thumbup:

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

Quick question

Nothing is there

Is this even possible?

Am I missing something?

Might depend on maps you use. I've got some files being rebuilt in both folders, but I flew on all three maps (I don't own Gulf one) yesterday.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

Might depend on maps you use. I've got some files being rebuilt in both folders, but I flew on all three maps (I don't own Gulf one) yesterday.

I’ve been using only PG since it’s release

But I have all of them

I need to try the others then

It’s a non problem since everything works fine for me

I was just curious to know if something changed

Thx

Not really, for me it's more of a precaution to minimize the amount of lighting and shading issues caused by frequent gfx engine tweaks in recent months patches.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

Yes I also confirm that metashader folder was not recreated on my pc as well

And Fxo and metashaders2 folder recreated but metashader2 is empty

I think is normal otherwise I guess there would be errors, instead my dcs world runs very nice and smooth

Edited by gianlu320
Errors in the text