Dual throttles are mandatory?

vegue

It seems the two engines of Hornet must be started one by one, and the thrusts are controlled separately. Do I have to buy dual throttle to play? My current joystick comes with only one throttle.

• ED Team

you also have key commands to control them for starting, so it should not be a problem.

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

You don't have to use a dual throttle. The Hornet will likely come with an axis that controls both throttles. I for one have never had any issues with the Thrustmaster TWCS throttle for any 2-engined aicraft (F-5, A-10A and C, F-15C, Su-25(T) and -27, MiG-29s). You should be absolutely fine.

I've been asking this once directly in one of Wags DCS Hornet YT- Vids, he replied to me confirming that single throttle joystick is fine.

Intel I7 - 10700 K @ 3,80GHz / 64 GB DDR3 / RTX 3090 / Win 10 Home 64 bit / Logitech X56 HOTAS / HP Reverb G2  

Running DCS on latest OB version 

One is certainly fine with just a one-axis throttle. However, since it is the first time that an aircraft has actually both engines modeled separately, how is it affecting flight characteristics? IRL, the pilot can move both throttles on their own in order to account for the thrust asymmetry. Here, one will always have a small yaw moment because of the different engine performances, i guess..

i've never had to use dual throttles in the a-10c.

i don't like having to decouple the throttles and then lift them off the detent each time i start up, so i use the keyboard commands instead to spin up the left and right engines independently. you can do this even if you've got the "sync to controls on start" setting enabled.

i can only see dual throttles being useful for when you want to compensate for asymmetrical thrust, but i'd end up crashing in that situation with or without dual throttles.

Does anyone know when Thrustmaster is going to release the HOTAS for the Hornet that was announced last year?

IIRC they never said anything about new HOTAS, they just showed the F/A-18C grip at E3 and it has been complete radio silence after that.

One is certainly fine with just a one-axis throttle. However, since it is the first time that an aircraft has actually both engines modeled separately, how is it affecting flight characteristics? IRL, the pilot can move both throttles on their own in order to account for the thrust asymmetry. Here, one will always have a small yaw moment because of the different engine performances, i guess..

This is incorrect.

All the DCS & FC3 aircraft that have 2 engines have 2 engines modelled and can have either engine controlled separately (or damaged individually). What is new about the F/A-18C is not that it has 2 engines modelled, but that the 2 engines will not be identical.

Cheers.

This is incorrect.

All the DCS & FC3 aircraft that have 2 engines have 2 engines modelled and can have either engine controlled separately (or damaged individually). What is new about the F/A-18C is not that it has 2 engines modelled, but that the 2 engines will not be identical.

what do you mean by "not identical"? aren't both the hornet's engines of the same type?

This is incorrect.

The A-10C has two engines and works just fine with 1 throttle, hornet should be just fine.

5900X - 32 GB 3600 RAM - 1080TI

My Twitch Channel

~Moo

what do you mean by "not identical"? aren't both the hornet's engines of the same type?

IRL even if the engines are of the same type, they still are not perfect copies of each other. They may not produce the same thrust at the same RPM setting or one accelerates slightly slower than the other, the afterburners light up at slightly different times etc.

not enough to be a practical issue, least of all not when they're intentionally designed to be so close together to minimize asymmetric thrust effects.

come on you guys, it's insulting how you act as if this wasn't already solved irl by people far more invested and qualified than you

When I see a P-38 I'll invest in a throttle that supports two engines. My CH gear has been just fine for me to run the F-5, can't imagine I'd have issues with the Hornet.
There isn't a reason for that. I guess there will be an option to auto-correct the throttle difference to the difference between engines, and manually creating thrust asymmetry is especially bad on WW2-era airplanes.

They are not vulching... they are STRAFING!!! :smartass::thumbup:

• ED Team

There is no need to worry. As been previously said, there will be one axis to control both engines simultaneously and it works great, just like in other twin engine planes in DCS. And, of course, there will be two axis to separate control of each engine for hardcore.

IMHO absolutely it will not be mandatory! A lot of the actual streamer / Content Creator of Alpha Press Release and Matt as well are using a single axis throttle, the TWCS, so it will be fine, just use keyboard shourtcut to spin up one engine at a time ( or bind a button on your joy for that!

FlighRIG => CPU: RyZen 5900x | RAM: 64GB Corsair 3000Mhz | GPU: nVIDIA RTX 4090 FE | OS Storage: SSD NVMe Samsung 850 Pro 512GB, DCS Storage: SSD NVMe Sabrent 1TB | Device: Multipurpose-UFC, VirPil T-50, TM WARTHOG Throttle, TrackHat, MFD Cougar with screen.

Our Servers => [ITA] Banshee | Krasnodar - PvE | PersianConquest PvE Live Map&Stats | Syria Liberation PvE Conquest

Support us on twitch subscribing with amazon prime account linked, it's free!

Probably for the 99 % of the time a single throttle will be perfectly fine, so buy another throttle is not needed for somebody who already owns one. But the dual throttle obviously have its uses apart from the engine start, like when you get a compressor stall and need to reduce the throttle of a single engine.. or when the plane is damaged and need to apply more thrust in one engine to fly at level..

This Monday I was flying a training mission with some mates and was flying the F-5.. never had many problems with their engines, but this time my right engine was very prone to fail and get a lot of compressor stalls and strange readings on the gauges and the dual throttle was needed a lot of times. Anyway, these issues are very strange if they aren't planned with the mission editor, so the dual throttle is not indispensable.

Has anyone mentioned how bindings or assignments will work with the Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS?

Can you point me in that direction.

If so, would the functionality be similar?

Asus B85 Pro Gamer - 32GB - Intel® Core i5-4460 CPU - SanDisk SDSSDXPS480G -Windows 10 Pro 64-bit - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070

TrackIR5 - TM Warthog HOTAS Stick & Throttle - TM Cougar MFCDs - TM TPR Rudder Pedals - Razer Orbweaver - SoundBlasterX G5 DAC

This is a little off Topic, but is the throttle of the Logitech Extreme3DPro sufficient enought for the FA18 ?

DCS Flaming Cliffs 3, DCS Combined Arms, DCS F-5E Tiger II, DCS Ka-50, DCS F/A 18C Hornet,DCS A-10C Warthog,DCS AV-8B Harrier

Wishlist: DCS F-16 Falcon

Intel Core I7-6700K OC 4.7GHZ, Nvidia RTX 2060 6GB, 16GB RAM, Windows 10 Pro

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198294329153/

I go to a remote place for work where I make do with a 10 year old Sidewinder and a lot of keyboard commands, multi-engine or not. It's in no way ideal but I can have fun just the same. I'm not trying to bust anyone's favorite spherical enhancements but some of you are over thinking it. You can play with what you have, if you're not satisfied you can always upgrade.