Airspeed needle

zero

Authentic or not - I need a thicker AS needle or lighter color.

On approach, I do not have time to scan the whole instrument to find the needle.

Only light switch I found is left flood. Helps a little, but not much.

:joystick:

On approach, I do not have time to scan the whole instrument to find the needle.

I agree totally , it can be very difficult to see the airspeed needle. It's such an important instrument, hard to believe it's that way in a real spit. Hope this gets fixed.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

I think that in real one you will learn to fly by the sound and the touch so you can have a accurate landing speeds etc. After all the speed is changing your altitude so you will as well visually notice when you are coming down too fast or too slow.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

If you're scanning your airspeed needle on final approach and not the runway, you aren't landing safely/correctly.

Not scanning - I am trying to avoid scan. That is the point. First to check max speed for gear down and flap, and speed of needle movement.

Next:

Just a quick split second glance to confirm I am between 100 and 120. And a final confirm at 100 over threshold.

Last split second glance on instrument is vertical speed prior to touchdown. But that instrument is clear -no problem.

Not checking instruments during approach is poor airman-ship. Flying slow and dirty, you are on reverse envelope.

Adjust airspeed with pitch. Vertical speed with throttle. When settled with correct trim, I agree to concentrate on external view as priority 1. With a split second instrument confirm as priority 2.

If you're scanning your airspeed needle on final approach and not the runway, you aren't landing safely/correctly.

Is that a real response? How come I never see "aces" like u on MP?

Typical.

It should be easy to see those indicators at a glance. Computer graphics are not equal to real life and if they have low quality they can strain your eyesight

Edited by Solty
  • Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]In 21st century there is only war and ponies.

My experience: Jane's attack squadron, IL2 for couple of years, War Thunder and DCS.

My channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyAXX9rAX_Sqdc0IKJuv6dA

If you could just set the elevator trim and expect it to fly anywhere near the intended speed you wouldn't have to check the ASI all the time. All DCS planes that I've flown have the "hovercraft wallow" effect. Point the nose wherever you like and the airstream has little effect on the flight path.

The right floodlight is better at illuminating the dashboard but hard to adjust precisely - RShift+N for brighter, RCtrl+N for dimmer.

The right floodlight is better at illuminating the dashboard but hard to adjust precisely - RShift+N for brighter, RCtrl+N for dimmer.

Yup. Using the cockpit lighting helps a lot.

I've taken to using the right-hand light every time I fly now, turned to about 1/3rd brightness.

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/philstylenz

Storm of War WW2 server website: https://stormofwar.net/

Fully agree, the speed indicator needle is too hard to see. It should only take a very quick glance to check your speed. The way it's implemented I have to strain my eyes each time I want to know my speed.

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

If you could just set the elevator trim and expect it to fly anywhere near the intended speed you wouldn't have to check the ASI all the time. All DCS planes that I've flown have the "hovercraft wallow" effect. Point the nose wherever you like and the airstream has little effect on the flight path.

I use the switches on the dashboard.

Discovered that continue turning clockwise, the lights dim. It helps.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Aggree.

The ASI is unreadable under normal conditions.

You should not have to lean forward and almost put your nose on the instrument just to see what the airspeed is.

Surely it is possible to mod one of the files to male the needle thicker or brighter so we can see the damn thing!

Anyone know where the file that defines the asi needle lives?

I'm prepared to try to learn how to change the graphic just to get rid of this annoyance!

Can you post a screenshot and some install instr. Thanks TC

Win 10 Pro 64bit | Half X F/T Case | Corsair 1200AT ps | Asus ROG Maximums XIII Extreme | I9 11900K Clocked@4200 | Nepton 240 W/C | 64GB DDR4-3600 Gskill Mem | Asus 3080 gpu/8gb | SB-Z audio | Asus 32" 1440 Monitor | Winwing Super Tauras/Super Libra | Crosswind R/P | Track-ir-5 |

Simple via JSGME: http://https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=98607

Manually you have to make a backup of the file ''description.lua'' the path: x:\Games\DCS World 2.x\Mods\aircraft\SpitfireLFMkIX\Liveries\Cockpit_Spitfire_LFMkIX\default\

copy the files ''SpitfireIX-CPT_DIF.dds'' and new description.lua

🖥️MSI PRO Z690-A DDR4, Kingston 3600 MHz 64 Gb, i5 12600K, Gigabyte RTX 4090, Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus,🕹️VKB NXT Premium.

Simple via JSGME: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=98607

Manually you have to make a backup of the file ''description.lua'' the path: x:\Games\DCS World 2.x\Mods\aircraft\SpitfireLFMkIX\Liveries\Cockpit_Spitfire_LFMkIX\default\

I knew how to install but didn't see any difference so that's why I asked for a screenshot and install instructions. Tried in both 2.2 and 2.5 and it all looks the same. The problem is the yellow needle point which does not have enough contrast to stand out against the numbers/lines on the gauge. Really would appreciate a screen shot. Thanks TC
Edited by too-cool

Win 10 Pro 64bit | Half X F/T Case | Corsair 1200AT ps | Asus ROG Maximums XIII Extreme | I9 11900K Clocked@4200 | Nepton 240 W/C | 64GB DDR4-3600 Gskill Mem | Asus 3080 gpu/8gb | SB-Z audio | Asus 32" 1440 Monitor | Winwing Super Tauras/Super Libra | Crosswind R/P | Track-ir-5 |

Simple via JSGME: [url=http://<a href="https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=98607" target="_blank">https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=98607</a&gt][/url]https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=98607

I knew how to install but didn't see any difference so that's why I asked for a screenshot and install instructions. Tried in both 2.2 and 2.5 and it all looks the same. The problem is the yellow needle point which does not have enough contrast to stand out against the numbers/lines on the gauge. Really would appreciate a screen shot. Thanks TC

Overall causes better readability the values of the devices.

If you don't see the difference so you will have to find another solution.

🖥️MSI PRO Z690-A DDR4, Kingston 3600 MHz 64 Gb, i5 12600K, Gigabyte RTX 4090, Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus,🕹️VKB NXT Premium.

I tried it and did not notice any discernable difference

Nice that it works for you

I'd love to see a mod with a thicker needle or different gauge or ICAO markers and flags anything to make it more readable

The problem is now worse for me as the lighting in the cockpit doesn't work as well as it did before the upgrade to 2.5

Thanks petsild.

I have installed your mod and noticed an improvement in sharpness.

Every bit helps.

However, the ASI is is still very hard to read with the same pointer width and color.

Is it possible to make the pointer a bit thicker or brighter?

Here are the two variations with the cockpit lighting set full bright

Quick! What is the airspeed here?

Normal

1545006506_ASINORMAL.JPG.310c56db7e767c117d3d23321d82aba8.JPG

With the mod

4365231_ASIWITHMOD.JPG.fccced63a21465921b4347e1a936cb8f.JPG

Thanks petsild.

I have installed your mod and noticed an improvement in sharpness.

Every bit helps.

However, the ASI is is still very hard to read with the same pointer width and color.

Is it possible to make the pointer a bit thicker or brighter?

Here are the two variations with the cockpit lighting set full bright

Quick! What is the airspeed here?

Normal

[ATTACH]178740[/ATTACH]

With the mod

[ATTACH]178741[/ATTACH]

See the spitfire start up video in the thread just above this thread (airspeed needle), that's what is needed here. TC
Edited by too-cool