DCS: Ship simulator?

DCS: Ship simulator?  

405 members have voted

1. 1. DCS: Ship simulator?

• Yes
    • No

We need ships to control too. I imagine in 2025 when Wags and EtherealN have graced us with a full fledged controllable carrier or a destroyer or a battleship.

Submarines would make a nice addition, but no nukes please or we'd have unrealism in the mix, which tastes like crap.

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

No, not yet.

Far too many things to complete and polish to create a fully functioning battlefield before adding ships to the situation.

I wouldn't want a whole lot of different new objects in DCS and yet not one being finished to a point where it all works properly as a whole, all just "almost there" because too many resources diverted to create too many new additions.

Hawk_5

Modules:

A10C, BS2, FC3, P51, CA, UH-1H, Mi-8MTV2

System:

Gigabyte GA-X79UP4 MB, intel 3930k, Coolermaster Siedon 120M liquid cooled, Corsair Vengence Red 16GB 2133Mhz, Gigabyte Geforce GTX680 2GB Super o'clk, intel 520 SSD 240GB,

Seagate Barracuda 2TB HD, Coolermaster Silent Pro 800W PS, Coolermaster CM690 II Case

• 3 weeks later...

if it will be part of combine arms yeah why not

if it will be a separated module like combined arms but only with naval forces no

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]W10(64bit)Asus Rog Strix Z370-F - i7 8700K - Dark Rock Pro 4 - 16 giga ram Corsair vengeance 3000 - MSI RTX 2070 Super - Asus Rog Phobeus soundcard - Z906 Surround speaker - Track ir5 - HOTAS Warthog

The problem is that a ship is a far more complex instrument of war than a lone vehicle or aircraft.

I would say that it shouldn't really be done at the very least until two or more players can operate separate positions in the same vehicle.

Now, if part of that simulation could be the operation of a lively carrier deck for the upcoming DCS: F-18... that'd be sex.

Warning: Nothing I say is automatically correct, even if I think it is.

The biggest problem in the current DCS terrain engine, is that the ocean has unlimited depth, as it lacks a bottom. Any attempt to simulate sound propagation, would be in the absence of a crucial element.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

www.ecv56condor.com.ar

AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE 3.4

8Gb Kingston 1333

Nvidia GTX 460 1Gb

Saitek X-52 Pro

Saitek Ruddels Pedals

TIR 5 + Clip Pro

Win 7 64b

would i enjoy a DCS ship/submarine? of course..but too many other elements need polishing as of today.. terrain, vehicle simulation, sound, command structure(C&C element), real recon that feeds data to the C&C that makes it possible to order air-strikes CAS and tactical ones ..

after all that is done why not, i would enjoy sea stuff.. also i disagree that you need to simulate every little knob and officer.. what is needed is actually approximation.. if you need 100 officers to control the engine department is that really needed for you to enjoy a DCS ship? it depends what role do you have in the ship.. if you are the captain its pretty much giving orders that are general in nature and effects can be simulated .. if you are a radar operator or electronic officer you might do the grunt work but is that really needed or even interesting?.. maybe 20 years from now when we have ability to have a server that will hold 50.000 people and have tremendous desire by market to play such games we can have whole virtual DCS ship where every station is controlled by a player.. but until that time i would enjoy a DCS ship that is simulated (engine power, fuel consumption, sound propagation -so subs and other ships can track you and you others), sonar,weapon employments.. and that is that..

Yes please. It's already on my wishlist below. I'd even accept FC quality since most if not all stuff about submarines are kept a secret, but there if enough info to make a "educated guess".

Wishlist: DCS: MiG29M/CMT | DCS: MiG25/31 | DCS: MiG-23MLD | DCS: F16CJ

Start small and build up. As for players, if you get the Arma / FPS crowd coming over, you'll have players. Look at how many players MMO's handle ( thousands ). If they can handle it, we can figure out a way to handle it.

I really want to see this sim turn into an MMOFPS/FLTSIM. What the original developers of Falcon saw for its future. The Electronic Battlefield. I saw it back in the late 80's sitting in a US Army Server Shack, watching the electronic wargames between hundreds of people going on. Its possible.

Familiarize yourself with the term 'infrastructure'. Setting aside the fact that the DCS netcode struggles at times with modest player counts, its peer-to-peer multiplayer. MMO servers are data centers with enormous amounts a usable bandwidth built upon server clusters with multiple NICs. The pay-to-play model affords them the capability of building and supporting this infrastructure. The MMO-rpg style of gameplay is also more forgiving of lag than DCS is.

• 2 months later...

There is a nice ideea to have human controllable ships.

It can be build a sort of economical/resoruce manager simulating the activity on a carrier for example. This can be extended from a single ship to an entire fleet. We can accept or not landings on the deck :D... can act as control tower... etc....

Romanian Community for DCS World

HW Specs: AMD 7900X, 64GB RAM, RTX 4090, HOTAS Virpil, MFG, CLS-E, custom

DCS: 688 Attack Sub.

...should be made to include vintage graphics inspired by the Amiga classic. :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

There is a nice ideea to have human controllable ships.

It can be build a sort of economical/resoruce manager simulating the activity on a carrier for example. This can be extended from a single ship to an entire fleet. We can accept or not landings on the deck :D... can act as control tower... etc....

Crank up the tension on the arresting wires and watch the tailhook rip off?

If you aim for the sky, you will never hit the ground.