Why Dubai? How ED decides on which map to make.

WelshZeCorgi

I'd hardly call the new Syria map a desert! If they wanted easy to model then Syria is not a simple map, the coastline contains entire countries like Lebanon with over 6million inhabitants. That's more than Dubai and Bandar Abbas together. It's very populous and complex. PG makes sense for multiple reasons, it's in the news every year, when Iran threaten to close it, or run circles round a US destroyer or someone hits a mine, or it's actual incidents. There's billions of dollars of US taxpayer running the 5th fleet (and a decent wad worldwide also dedicated to that little strip of water. And the ownership disputes are real. Oman was created in my lifetime, the place is rife for it, like many middle east locations.

Now the scale of the map, now being the largest, IS dependent of the object count and performance, but in this case they only gave us more of it to play with. We wont see the Syria map of the same size (at current leaks from Ugra Media, if so, they'd have Cyprus, with another1.1 million inhabitants to place 3D homes for along a famous conflict area between Greece and Turkey, much to their chagrin and the Brits who wanted Akrotiri base.

Nope, it's not about making it easy, although there is defintiely serious limitations. I'm dreading Syria performance over the coast!

Personally I think you are pretty close to the truth here. ED has to take into consideration hardware and what it can run reasonably for maps in use like what we do with a flight simulation. I would also add making maps with large bodies of "water" to be easier on hardware and performance as well.

Look at the aircraft modelled in DCS. The star performers are naval in nature. ED has stated they will be redoing the whole carrier operations aspect of the game. There is a new third party developer (DEKA) who is making Chinese equipment, both naval assets and playable aircraft.

What's next beside the new desert maps coming? South China Sea? I'd put money on that. :smilewink:

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

Maybe, I'm not a coder. I'm recalling all the issues with trees and the hit to performance they always seem to bring (all games, not just DCS)...and the fact I find desert boring I guess. Graviteam keeps pumping out DLC for Mius Front that may be real, but it all looks the same after a while...featureless Russian plains. It's great to model real-world hotspots, but unless a similarly real conflict is modeled, I'd just as soon have a more interesting map with a fictional conflict. I'm also partial to the A10 and helicopters which get down low, which is certainly part of why I'm biased. I think it's also the reason the Georgia map is the most popular....Normandy's too flat.

"I mean, I guess it would just be a guy who you know, grabs bananas and runs. Or, um, a banana that grabs things. Why would a banana grab another banana? I mean, those are the kind of questions I don't want to answer." - Michael Bluth

• ED Team

It's a combination of several factors:

1- Available data in regards to textures, DTED, GIS, etc.

2- How valid it is for training or a war zone.

3- Market interest.

4- How well it suits available aircraft modules.

Thanks!

• Like 1

Understandable and all valid reasons. It can be interesting. Shock Force 2 is my favourite of all the Combat Mission games, and I can't even pinpoint why exactly. Give me a good dynamic campaign and I'll buy all your desert maps!

Edited by aleader

"I mean, I guess it would just be a guy who you know, grabs bananas and runs. Or, um, a banana that grabs things. Why would a banana grab another banana? I mean, those are the kind of questions I don't want to answer." - Michael Bluth

OK no performance factor.

So can we have Cyprus then pretty please Matt?!

It's a combination of several factors:

1- Available data in regards to textures, DTED, GIS, etc.

2- How valid it is for training or a war zone.

3- Market interest.

4- How well it suits available aircraft modules.

Thanks!

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

no vietnam nor africa please, we need something in europe with ALPS, SEA and balkan war :)

• CPU : Intel i7 8700k@5.0ghz cooled by Noctua NH-D15 / Motherboard:Asorck Z370 Taichi / RAM: 32GB GSkill TridentZ @3600mhz / SSD: 500GB Nvme Samsung 970 evo+1 TB Sabrent Nvme M2 / GPU:Asus Strix OC 2080TI / Monitor: LG 34KG950F Ultrawide / Trackir 5 proclip/ VIRPIL CM2 BASE + CM2 GRIP + F148 GRIP + 200M EXTENSION /VKB T-Rudder MKIV rudder /Case: Fractal Design R6 Define black

That means one thing.......

RAF Akrotiri

The only way to make sense out of change is to plunge into it, move with it, and join the dance.

"Me, the 13th Duke of Wybourne, here on the ED forums at 3 'o' clock in the morning, with my reputation. Are they mad.."

https://ko-fi.com/joey45

I don't know if you mean as a part of the Syria map or as a standalone one centered around Cyprus.

Personally I hope it is a part of the Syria map as it is so close to it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Is this political thing an official ED statement ?

I thought the problem was the current limitation of the engine and the large numbers of 3D objects like buildings and infrastructures on the Crimean region. I believed it was also the reason why we didn't get Bahreïn in the actual "Persian Gulf" map.

There are only two types of aircraft, fighters and targets. - Major Doyle "Wahoo" Nicholson, USMC

Is this political thing an official ED statement ?

I thought the problem was the current limitation of the engine and the large numbers of 3D objects like buildings and infrastructures on the Crimean region. I believed it was also the reason why we didn't get Bahreïn in the actual "Persian Gulf" map.

Talk by ED team sometimes on the russian forum.

The "Persian gulf" coming from the old "Strait of Hormuz" map project. That was centred on the 2011-2012 Strait of Hormuz dispute, never was planned a "all Persian gulf" map.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011%E2%80%9312_Strait_of_Hormuz_dispute

I thought the Persian Gulf map was a smart idea.

Pakistan/India/Kashmir would have an interesting potential as well.

A map of ex-Yugoslavia would also be nice in terms of topography (sea, mountains, beautiful country sceneries) but yeah maybe it would be too similar to Caucasus in game.

Otherwise a map of Greece/Turkey perhaps or an Iraq/Iran map due to the history and potential to field a lot of planes that we have in DCS.

Lybia would be too close to the 2 maps we already have with desert areas and Korea/China would need a massive map with a lot of sea area. Having only Korea would be boring IMO, though something in Asia would be original.

Edited by Fynek

It could well be.

And ED was right about Crimea (in the Flanker series)... :noexpression:

Unfortunately (?) Fulda doesn't have oil... :music_whistling:

I remember when The Fulda Gap quaked and shook when Syria and neighbors became a major point of contention in 73.

That would be a great map.

I wish we had a Vietnam map, we already have the Mig-21 Mig-19 and Mig-15, although I think there were no Mig-15s in Vietnam just the 21/19/17. F-5 is already in game, F-8 Crusader is in the works, A-4 mod is actually pretty awesome. We just need a F-4 and F-105 and we're pretty much set.

Honorable mentions to F-100 and F-104 though.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

64th "Scorpions" Aggressor Squadron

Discord: 64th Aggressor Squadron

TS: 195.201.110.22

Yes I agree Vietnam could definitely be awesome, it has everything from sea to land areas, jungle, cities and could integrate many of the modules. Would look very different than any map we have so far.