Spitfire first take-off; first "landing" observations

Still Packard, an american company, different engine, even some operation is slightly different like in Mustang instead of Spitfire.

Anyway just kidding about being so nitpicky, if we're going to be nitpick then… You see the irony, I think :thumbup: .

S!

It is still a Merlin. Packard Merlin. Not Rolls Royce.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]In 21st century there is only war and ponies.

My experience: Jane's attack squadron, IL2 for couple of years, War Thunder and DCS.

My channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyAXX9rAX_Sqdc0IKJuv6dA

• Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Still Packard, an american company, different engine, even some operation is slightly different like in Mustang instead of Spitfire.

Anyway just kidding about being so nitpicky, if we're going to be nitpick then… You see the irony, I think :thumbup: .

S!

OK a small nitpick ;)

The Packard Merlin had a few superficial differences like some of the block castings were more robust where they were bolted together (see attached Merlin 70 vs 266) but the general appearance was virtually identical. Sorry to use a Merlin 70 instead of a 66, that's all they had out of the aircraft at Biggin Hill when I was there. No real visual difference between a 70 and a 66 for these purposes.

Wikipedia may not always be 100% reliable but you may find these interesting

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolls-Royce_Merlin

see the 266

and

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supermarine_Spitfire_(late_Merlin-powered_variants)#Mk_XVI_.28type_361.29

see the Mk XVI. The slightly higher intercooler is mentioned which happens to sit in the area of the engine in my photo of how the castings were bolted together.

1237600113_Merlin70_3(Large).thumb.JPG.5612aefbd2ff6f7b194ed7eeff70e71f.JPG

139822800_PackardMerlin266_3(Large).thumb.JPG.eb3096edca6cdcaa2ed258a2b4e67792.JPG

673796761_Merlin70_2(Large).thumb.JPG.a12c6237ed8d2b6d0c980a0b2cee0ab1.JPG

834702407_PackardMerlin266_2(Large).thumb.JPG.86496df0d351f13ab14a8dafa397c6b5.JPG

klem

56 RAF 'Firebirds'

ASUS ROG Strix Z390-F mobo, i7 8086A @ 5.0 GHz with Corsair H115i watercooling, Gigabyte 2080Ti GAMING OC 11Gb GPU , 32Gb DDR4 RAM, 500Gb and 256Gb SSD SATA III 6Gb/s + 2TB , Pimax 8k Plus VR, TM Warthog Throttle, TM F18 Grip on Virpil WarBRD base, Windows 10 Home 64bit

S!

Nah, I don't quite see the irony. Using that logic, Corsairs built by Goodyear and Brewster should not be called Corsairs. Not to mention Liberators, which were (in)famous for lack of some parts interchangeability between the same (well, in theory...) variants built by Consolidated, Douglas, NA and Ford, causing frontline mechanics to pull their hair out :D. Packard-built Merlin is still a Merlin, just like the Ford-built one.

Griffon, on the other hand, was a completely different design, even originating from different "ancestor" so to speak, thus pointing it out is as far from "nitpicking" as can be, I would say.

We'll have to agree to disagree on that one :)

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

A must watch for Spitfire lovers. Second half of the video shows take off and landing and uses a WWII pilot's journal description of his impressions of the spit and his detailed notes on start up, taxi and take off procedures.

This clip is very nice to watch. :) The sound is (partially) impressive thow it covers the voice-over to make it hard to understand (to a foreigner).

But the lack on this video is, the most interesting things are happen outside of the frame or are cut (in the most suspenseful moment) to show another take from another position.

Knowing, this wasn't the intention of this Video, I was interested in the Rudder- and Aileron-Work. This is just a few split seconds to be seen. Disappointed.

Edited by Tekkx

Manual for my version of RS485-Hardware, contact: tekkx@dresi.de

Please do not PM me with DCS-BIOS-related questions. If the answer might also be useful to someone else, it belongs in a public thread where it can be discovered by everyone using the search function. Thank You.