The question for the ages : VKB Gunfighter or Virpil MongoosT-50

Hey folks,

I would like to have input from people with experience from using either or both joystick. I want to upgrade from my X-52 Pro and I've been trying to upgrade it for the past month. At first, I was going for the VKB Gunfighter Pro... but they're not super available (though I might be able to get one soon). I then decided to go for Virpil because they were a bit more customer friendly, but it's also super hard to get their stuff as their restock only lasts for an hour before everything is out of stock again.

Since I also wanted to get the Virpil throttle, I thought "eh, might as well get the whole kit" with the base, the joystick, the throttle and the mounts.

But, it's also super hard to get both the base and the grip from Virpil. There's always one of the 2 being out of stock.

So, I'm now considering going with the VKB Gunfighter and the Virpil throttle, as the throttle seems easier to get. Is this a good plan? What's the opinion on both joysticks?? I heard the small analog joystick on the VKB is a bit of a con, while the Virpil T-50 doesn't have that.

Thank you all for your precious answers.

I have both Virpil and VKB. Both are very good!

However I have the Virpil T-50 base, which is not made anymore as they currently only offer the WarBRD base.

I also have had many hours on both now. I got the MCG Pro grip for my Gunfighter Pro, and have come to like because of the buttons a little more than the Virpil grip, so have been flying mostly with it these days. I also find the VKB base a little easier to work on for things like changing cams and springs, but again I am comparing to the Virpil T-50 base which is no more.

I use both sticks center mounted with long extension also. WarBRD they only recommend up to 50mm extension if used.

You won't go wrong with either one I am sure.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I have both Virpil and VKB. Both are very good!

However I have the Virpil T-50 base, which is not made anymore as they currently only offer the WarBRD base.

I also have had many hours on both now. I got the MCG Pro grip for my Gunfighter Pro, and have come to like because of the buttons a little more than the Virpil grip, so have been flying mostly with it these days. I also find the VKB base a little easier to work on for things like changing cams and springs, but again I am comparing to the Virpil T-50 base which is no more.

I use both sticks center mounted with long extension also. WarBRD they only recommend up to 50mm extension if used.

You won't go wrong with either one I am sure.

thank you kind sir. Is the analog thumbstick on the VKB something that annoys you?

I never tried VKB but I have both a t-50 and WarBRD base and I honestly think the WarBRD is the better of the two.

I have the t50 mounted about 13cm lower than the WarBRD and a 7cm extension on the t50.

But they both have the same range of movement, I am using them as a left and right stick setup and if I where to pick one or the other I would choose the WarBRD.

It was certainly easier to switch cams and springs on the WarBRD than the t-50.

Edited by Bob_Bushman

i7 8700k @ 4.7, 32GB 2900Mhz, 1080ti, CV1

Virpil MT-50\Delta, MFG Crosswind, Warthog Throttle, Virptil Mongoost-50 throttle.

thank you kind sir. Is the analog thumbstick on the VKB something that annoys you?

No, you talking about the round hat on lower left?

I changed it via software to give 4 button presses.

I have mine assigned to view slow left/right/up/down for exterior view of plane.

Pressing button in re-centers my VR-View.

But you can change it to button presses if desired.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

No, you talking about the round hat on lower left?

I changed it via software to give 4 button presses.

I have mine assigned to view slow left/right/up/down for exterior view of plane.

Pressing button in re-centers my VR-View.

But you can change it to button presses if desired.

No I was referring to the one at the top of the grip, where instead of a standard 6 way hat you have an analog stick. Some people said they didn't understand why they'd go with this as it's inferior to a standard 6 way hat.

No I was referring to the one at the top of the grip, where instead of a standard 6 way hat you have an analog stick. Some people said they didn't understand why they'd go with this as it's inferior to a standard 6 way hat.

Master Mode Hat?

I have mine assigned to 4 buttons, plus if push in and hold for three seconds ( by default), it then becomes a relative axis for me. I use the relative axis for the gunsight adjustments in the Spit. Press and hold 3 seconds again and it is back to 4 way button presses.

Don B

Master Mode Hat?

I have mine assigned to 4 buttons, plus if push in and hold for three seconds ( by default), it then becomes a relative axis for me. I use the relative axis for the gunsight adjustments in the Spit. Press and hold 3 seconds again and it is back to 4 way button presses.

okay I just watched a video on youtube, I'm actually talking about the trim hat :) Sorry I wasn't clear.

The MCG-pro has two analog hats; the master mode at the top center and the gate control at the lower left of the joystick "face".

They can each be programmed to either be a 5-way digital hat, absolute or relative analog hat, or to switch between 4-way hat and analog on a long-press.

Bs9YzGN.jpg