VKB-Sim MCG. Questions. Answers. Advice.

UIV

So I just realised I've had my GFPro and MCG Pro for 1 year now. While I love it, I have still seen nothing that helps me with the folding trigger. Is it still impossible to get a momentary button press to fire when folding up/down?

The folding trigger is supposed to be a feature of the grip, yet I barely find a use for it with its current behaviour. :(

Have mine setup to set Master Arm to ARM when flipped out, and to SAFE to when flipped back(not pulled). That's 2 buttons. And then you can pull it for another button. Works great!

Intel I9-10850K (OC @ 5.0ghz) │ Asus Maximus XII Hero │ G.Skill Ripjaws 64GB (4x16GB) DDR4 3200 │ Thermaltake Water 360mm
Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24gb │ 2TB M.2 EVO Pro; 1T M.2 EVO; Sandisk SSD Drives │ 49" Samsung Curved Widescreen │ 28" Touchscreen

- ҉ - Blackshark Cockpit Trainer - ҉ -    Thread   | Download

• Replies 722
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I myself use my folding trigger usually for firing when depressed, and to select "Gun" or toggle "Safety On/Off" by flicking it up.

If that's something more esoteric you're trying to accomplish, I would suggest to visit the official VKB Support forums (VKB developers and knowledgeable community are able to help).

I use mine on Star Citizen for spacebrake and AB. In the down/not-pulled position it does nothing. Flip up and it engages AB. Pull is back and it activates the space brake.

I use my folding trigger for Missiles in the Gazelle and I think for Bombs in the Mustang.

I haven't been flying much else lately so I can't remember what else I have been using it for.

I may have it set up to fire Rockets in the F-5E but I can't be sure at the moment.

I use it as mentioned above and then fold it up out of the way to access my 2 stage trigger for guns and those things that recognize the trigger for firing (whichallever those are ?).

SnowTiger:joystick:

Have mine setup to set Master Arm to ARM when flipped out, and to SAFE to when flipped back(not pulled). That's 2 buttons. And then you can pull it for another button. Works great!

Can you explain how you configure the stick and bind that in DCS?

Because when you flip the folding trigger down to the "armed" position (middle) it constantly presses a button for me. That can obviously be bound to master arm ON.

When you flip it UP back to the safe position, the button stops being pressed. But it does NOT press another button. There is no way to bind that action in DCS to master arm OFF is there?

The folding trigger when fully depressed is fine, it fires a button ofc.

I have v0.87.05 and v1.94B. "Enable MCG PRO Trigger", "Safe", "Armed" and "Fire1" are checked.

What am I missing here? Thanks!

7700K@5Ghz, 32GB 3600 CL16, 3080.

Can you explain how you configure the stick and bind that in DCS?

Because when you flip the folding trigger down to the "armed" position (middle) it constantly presses a button for me. That can obviously be bound to master arm ON.

When you flip it UP back to the safe position, the button stops being pressed. But it does NOT press another button. There is no way to bind that action in DCS to master arm OFF is there?

The folding trigger when fully depressed is fine, it fires a button ofc.

I have v0.87.05 and v1.94B. "Enable MCG PRO Trigger", "Safe", "Armed" and "Fire1" are checked.

What am I missing here? Thanks!

I have a VKB Gunfighter MkII with MCG Pro. I am running VKB Device Config v.0.88.89, and Firmware v1.95.5. That is a BETA Firmware! But I've had no problems with it for over a month.

If you check the 'Pulse' checkbox, it makes those two buttons (flip forward/back) press and release instantly. They do not stay pressed. You can see in my screenshot that Btn 24 & 28 are pressed and immediatly released, and then I pull and it holds btn 3 & 25 until I release. So the Pulse affects Btn 24 & 28.

BTW, that Firmware added built-in stick trimming. You can assign the axis of one of the hats to move the center of your stick x/y axis. Essentially trimming your stick in any aircraft.

Pulse.thumb.png.0f55d18e822bd5267387d1b8d47483ab.png

Intel I9-10850K (OC @ 5.0ghz) │ Asus Maximus XII Hero │ G.Skill Ripjaws 64GB (4x16GB) DDR4 3200 │ Thermaltake Water 360mm
Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24gb │ 2TB M.2 EVO Pro; 1T M.2 EVO; Sandisk SSD Drives │ 49" Samsung Curved Widescreen │ 28" Touchscreen

- ҉ - Blackshark Cockpit Trainer - ҉ -    Thread   | Download

First, I would reset the Gunfighter to default.

You have to ensure to calibrate everything correctly, including the folding trigger, as it's an analog device as well. If not calibrated correctly, you might get unwanted button states.

It's important that all analog axes have KdHi/KdLo values are well below 255 - including the trigger. The screenshot below shows an uncalibrated joystick.

sYETrbz.png

Feel free to follow this little guide for that - but only using the Reset and Calibrate portions (no need to flash): https://vkbcontrollers.com/?faq=how-to-get-your-mcg-mcg-pro-to-work-with-your-gunfighter-mar-15-2018

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

Thank you Snacko and Rrohde. That's very helpful, and I'll try it out tonight when I get home. :)

Update: OK, I seem to have gotten everything going. Lots of trial and error but it's doing everything I want.

MasterMode is an 8 way hat. Gate Cont is a 4 way hat. Brake lever has a button press at almost full squeeze. And the folding trigger fires momentarily on fold up and down! Thanks again for your help, it put me on the right path.

Edited by SneakyBastd

7700K@5Ghz, 32GB 3600 CL16, 3080.

You should be able to connect your MCG Gunfighter AND your VKB Rudder Pedals into the same "black box".

The connection ports are labeled.

So there is no reason to choose one over the other (that I'm aware of).

Thanks. I figured only one box is required. I just wanted to make sure there hasn't been any updates to the boxes themselves over the years.

Cheers

CPU:5600X | GPU:RTX2080 | RAM:32GB | Disk:860EVOm.2

Finally was able to get a mcg pro tabletop bundle. Will be here soon. I was having a look at the website and software available.

Should I just go by the latest dates on the page?

So all I should download is VKBDevCfg latest date available? And the black box firmware ? Also vkbButton tester latest edition?

Also when I recalibrate in the future will I ever have to redo all by dcs bindings? For some reason on my vpc stick when I recalibrate windows reads the id as a new device.

As for the dry clutches, since I like my stick returning to center I guess I need to tighten the dry clutches on both sides and test before plugging in to set up firmware?

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

With a brand new Gunfighter w/ MCG or MCG Pro you don't have to mess with any firmware, as the firmware directly from the factory is up-to-date.

All you need is to calibrate it, and you can do that with WIZZO for Gunfighter, or VKBdevCfg (and no, re-calibrating does not affect any DCS - or any other sim's - bindings).

Hardware wise, you should want to loosen the clutch dampers, not tighten them. Refer to the Gunfighter Quick Guide at VKBcontrollers.com.

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

That's good to know I won't need to mess with firmware, thanks! I'll have a look at the guides on the site and I'm sure I'll have more questions as time goes by with my usage.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

This thread has some of the best explained info. I just got my MCG Pro/GF Pro last week. The first hour of looking at WIZZO and VKBdevCfg was intimidating, but thanks to this thread it quickly all made sense and became very easy to set up. I got my folding trigger working as desired, and set up a shift key to double the number of buttons very easily.

Once set up, it's quite brilliant.

Edited by wowbagger
major mobile typing malfunction

CPU:5600X | GPU:RTX2080 | RAM:32GB | Disk:860EVOm.2

Set up my gunfighter mcg pro tabletop model tonight. I really like the quality of the break lever and two stage trigger handle.

The base is beautiful and I loosened the dampers I think a little too much. It's smooth as butter and it's more comfortable to hold at least for me compared to the MT-50. Very happy with the quality.

The software was ok to use a ton of options in vkb Dev config but I did a quick search on how to turn the second pov to a hat instead of an axis and got it up and running.

I did have some questions that maybe owners here can help me out with.

Now I don't fly the Huey much but I notice when I was flying the F18 and I would push down on the stick and let go it wouldn't full return to center. Made flying a bit wobbly in the jet. If I pull the stick back, it seems to return more to center than pushing it forward does. When forward it kind of returns but stays forward just a bit.

I left the default cams and springs on there. I think I like the springs that came installed. They offer very easy and smooth push/pull on the stick.

To get the stick to return to center more would I need to tighten the dampers more? I notice it came with springs # 10-40 and a set of 30 cams.

Would the recommendation be to keep the default springs and just switch out default cams for the #30 cams?

I don't want to have to pull or push a lot from center but I'd want the stick to return to center from each axis maneuver. Flying and using the hats and switches is kind of tough now since it feels a bit looser while flying compared to just testing it out in the software where it felt right to me. In the F18 it requires can constant movement of the stick for it to not drift even when I think the stick is centered since I'm in VR.

So would the #30 cams help me out or should I swap to a set of heavier springs?

Really glad I finally got this model as I've been wanting one for so long. Just curious on how I can perfect it for my flying.

For the stick to return to center by itself I had to back the dampers way off... almost to the point of the nut falling off (in fact it has fallen off a few times). Then run your calibration again.
So you mean loosen them all the way? I was under the impression that tightening the dampers more would make it go more to center. I'll try that tomorrow as I couldn't tell how much I loosened them. They we're not very tight out the box.

Set up my gunfighter mcg pro tabletop model tonight. I really like the quality of the break lever and two stage trigger handle.

The base is beautiful and I loosened the dampers I think a little too much. It's smooth as butter and it's more comfortable to hold at least for me compared to the MT-50. Very happy with the quality.

The software was ok to use a ton of options in vkb Dev config but I did a quick search on how to turn the second pov to a hat instead of an axis and got it up and running.

I did have some questions that maybe owners here can help me out with.

Now I don't fly the Huey much but I notice when I was flying the F18 and I would push down on the stick and let go it wouldn't full return to center. Made flying a bit wobbly in the jet. If I pull the stick back, it seems to return more to center than pushing it forward does. When forward it kind of returns but stays forward just a bit.

I left the default cams and springs on there. I think I like the springs that came installed. They offer very easy and smooth push/pull on the stick.

To get the stick to return to center more would I need to tighten the dampers more? I notice it came with springs # 10-40 and a set of 30 cams.

Would the recommendation be to keep the default springs and just switch out default cams for the #30 cams?

I don't want to have to pull or push a lot from center but I'd want the stick to return to center from each axis maneuver. Flying and using the hats and switches is kind of tough now since it feels a bit looser while flying compared to just testing it out in the software where it felt right to me. In the F18 it requires can constant movement of the stick for it to not drift even when I think the stick is centered since I'm in VR.

So would the #30 cams help me out or should I swap to a set of heavier springs?

Really glad I finally got this model as I've been wanting one for so long. Just curious on how I can perfect it for my flying.

As others mentioned, loosen the dampers.

Even at that it may not return to the exact center each time.

Mine with the extension would not, so I changed out the pitch cam and put the #30 cam on it, made it a lot better for me in centering.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

As others mentioned, loosen the dampers.

Even at that it may not return to the exact center each time.

Mine with the extension would not, so I changed out the pitch cam and put the #30 cam on it, made it a lot better for me in centering.

Thanks. I'll give that a shot today. I guess you can run different cams on each axis? I'll first start by loosening the dampers more. Then I'll try your suggestion and swap the pitch cam to #30 if I don't feel like that does enough for me. I'll most likely keep the default springs on there. I'm glad vkb included a lot of options for springs.

I don't use the extensions just the desktop plate and I made the mistake of using the heavy springs on the virpil base earlier which is meant for the warthog grip but I had not even placed the WH grip on that base so the center is too stiff now for desktop use I think. I definitely prefer the feel of the mcg with it's default springs because it feels a lot smoother.

Thanks. I'll give that a shot today. I guess you can run different cams on each axis? I'll first start by loosening the dampers more. Then I'll try your suggestion and swap the pitch cam to #30 if I don't feel like that does enough for me. I'll most likely keep the default springs on there. I'm glad vkb included a lot of options for springs.

I don't use the extensions just the desktop plate and I made the mistake of using the heavy springs on the virpil base earlier which is meant for the warthog grip but I had not even placed the WH grip on that base so the center is too stiff now for desktop use I think. I definitely prefer the feel of the mcg with it's default springs because it feels a lot smoother.

Yes different cams on each axis is fine. I prefer #30 on pitch, and #10 on roll.

Be careful replacing the cam and make note of the proper washer placements, has to go back on the same as it comes off.

https://vkbcontrollers.com/?page_id=14365

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Yes different cams on each axis is fine. I prefer #30 on pitch, and #10 on roll.

Be careful replacing the cam and make note of the proper washer placements, has to go back on the same as it comes off.

https://vkbcontrollers.com/?page_id=14365

Direct link to that FAQ entry: https://vkbcontrollers.com/?faq=how-do-i-replace-cams-and-springs-gunfighter-and-gladiator-pro

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com