nvidia 417.71 display driver WHQL

Just tried it - it works on my Samsung C34F791, which is Freesync compatible, and RTX 2070.

I had to switch G-Sync on in nvdia settings and pick full screen and windowed mode (full screen option did not work in full screen DCS).

I also had to pick FreeSync Standard Engine in monitor settings, Ultimate one gave me flickering.

Would be good for others to confirm if their FreeSync monitors work even if they are not nvidia approved!

So many modules, so little time...

www.mikphotography.com

Cool they finally did this.. wish they had done it when I was shopping for monitors. LG had a nice ultrawide that would've cost me less and had some pretty nice features compared to acer, but it was freesync >.<

Spoiler

Win 11 Pro, z790 i9 13900k, RTX 4090 , 64GB DDR 6400GB, OS and DCS are on separate pci-e 4.0 drives 

Sim hardware - VKB MCG Ultimate with 200mm extension, Virpil T-50CM3 Dual throttles.   Blackhog B-explorer (A), TM Cougar MFD's (two), MFG Crosswinds with dampener.   Obutto R3volution gaming pit.  

I got a Samsung U32E850R @4k with a GTX1080.

I enabled it for full screen mode only, but windows and full screen works too. It is easier to determine in which mode you currently are when you keep LAlt-Enter-ing when it works only for full screen.

Freesync does work for me with both Samsung Freesync Settings “Standard Engine (50Hz-60Hz)” and “Ultimate Engine (40Hz-60Hz)”. What is strange tough, after rebooting the PC and starting DCS, I get heavy jittering, but once switching from Standard and back to Ultimate, all works perfectly fine. This does also happen the other way around when booting with Standard.

Since I run it at 4k with a normal 1080, there is not much head room when the screen can only clock down to 40Hz, but I must say it gives a much smother experience. Fly close to the ground over a forest, look 90 degrees to the side and move your wings up and down so you transition from trees to sky and back. The difference with enabled and disabled is remarkable.

Will see if I will be happy with this in the long term…

PC Specs: Win10, 7800X3D, 64GB DDR5CL30@6000Mhz, ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X, 2x Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, LG OLED42C2, Pico 4
Flight Sim Gear: VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Grip with WarBRD Base and 6cm extension, VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle, VPC SharKa-50 Collective Grip with Rotor TCS Plus Base, BRD-F1 Rudders(Su-35), 3x8"LCD 1024x768 with TM-MFDs, DIY dashboard with 60 buttons and 8 axis MMJOY2, POV-HAT(no TrackIR)
Aircraft: F/A-18C, F-16C, F-14, F-5E, Mig-21bis, Mig-15bis, AH-64D, Mi-24P, Mi-8MTV2, Black Shark 2 & 3, Uh-1H, FC3, SpitfireLFMkIX, P-51D, I-16, Mosquito FB VI, Bf109K-4
Terrains: NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf, Syria, Channel, Sinai

Tech: WWII Assets Pack, Supercarrier

There were only 12 freesync monitors certified by nvidia.

Here's a public spreadsheet, where people have reported successful or unsuccessfull and in some cases the steps required to get things to work.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1YI0RQcymJSY0-LkbjSRGswWpJzVRuK_4zMvphRbh19k/htmlview?usp=sharing&sle=true

I anticipate support for more monitors over time.

Spoiler

Win 11 Pro, z790 i9 13900k, RTX 4090 , 64GB DDR 6400GB, OS and DCS are on separate pci-e 4.0 drives 

Sim hardware - VKB MCG Ultimate with 200mm extension, Virpil T-50CM3 Dual throttles.   Blackhog B-explorer (A), TM Cougar MFD's (two), MFG Crosswinds with dampener.   Obutto R3volution gaming pit.  

https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/417-71-game-ready-driver-now-live.424859/

Seems that this driver allows you to take advantage of AMD Freesync features on nvidia graphics cards, so if you have a Freesync monitor give it a shot :)

Turns out it works!

I'm using an HP Omen 32" monitor with Freesync, and a GTX 1080 Ti.

I used to be limited to 60Hz refresh, the monitor's only other native setting was 75Hz, at which it would drop frames. So, 60Hz only.

Now, with the new drivers and GSync enabled, I can run 75Hz without dropping--and I can even run the monitor up to about 120Hz. :)

Only problem is, it seems to stutter a lot. Motion is *very* uneven compared to just using VSync, and that sucks, because adaptive sync is supposed to be a really, really big deal, and it turns out it's not. Unless I don't know what I'm doing, and I'm going to have to figure all this out.

AD

Kit:

B550 Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5800X w/ Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE, 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury DDR4 @3600MHz C16, Gigabyte RTX 3070 Windforce 8GB, EVGA SuperNova 750 G2 PSU, HP Omen 32" 2560x1440, Thrustmaster Cougar HOTAS fitted with Leo Bodnar's BU0836A controller.

--Flying is the art of throwing yourself at the ground, and having all the rules and regulations get in the way!

If man was meant to fly, he would have been born with a lot more money!

Ok, little update.

Enabling G-Sync in NVCP allows me to use higher refresh rates without dropping frames. It used to be that at anything over 60Hz my HP Omen 32" had dropped frames--no more. That's good :)

On the other hand, there's no option for G-Sync under Vertical Sync options in NVCP. I can use higher refresh rates, but that's it--still just a fixed refresh rate.

So, I can't actually use "real" Adaptive Sync (monitor's refresh rate changes with rendered framerate), and that sucks! The option isn't there in NVCP, still just normal VSync, not Adaptive Sync (G-Sync.)

Any ideas? I'm thinking about doing a total driver re-install.

AD

Edited by Aluminum Donkey

Kit:

B550 Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5800X w/ Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE, 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury DDR4 @3600MHz C16, Gigabyte RTX 3070 Windforce 8GB, EVGA SuperNova 750 G2 PSU, HP Omen 32" 2560x1440, Thrustmaster Cougar HOTAS fitted with Leo Bodnar's BU0836A controller.

--Flying is the art of throwing yourself at the ground, and having all the rules and regulations get in the way!

g-sync.JPG.69afe59b9bc82ee04e7ba999b243b825.JPG

gsync.thumb.JPG.851f9043b28503425855735a83f04fb7.JPG

Should be the only two settings you need to adjust to enable g-sync. Vertical sync left on application controlled.. which i usually leave on in games so my fps doesn't exceed my maximum refresh rate.

I would see if you're monitor's on that public spreadsheet I linked in a previous post, as it may give you info on whether or not other people are having success with the new driver and what steps were taken to achieve.

I looked at it and saw one listing for the HP Omen, didn't say too much except it seemed to work in Pendulum.

Edited by Headwarp
Spoiler

Should be the only two settings you need to adjust to enable g-sync. Vertical sync left on application controlled.. which i usually leave on in games so my fps doesn't exceed my maximum refresh rate.

I would see if you're monitor's on that public spreadsheet I linked in a previous post, as it may give you info on whether or not other people are having success with the new driver and what steps were taken to achieve.

I looked at it and saw one listing for the HP Omen, didn't say too much except it seemed to work in Pendulum.

I can't get my Omen 32 to work with adaptive refresh. I can now run it above 60Hz without skipping frames and that's it. I tried the Pendulum thingy, with GSync enabled I get awful stuttering. "Generic" VSync works better (but not perfectly, of course, because the rendered framerate is different from the screen refresh rate, so I get stutters.)

So, it looks like the whole Adaptive Refresh thing ain't gonna work for me unless I spend a lot of dough, and if you can tell by looking at my system specs below, I'm *really* sick and bloody tired of spending lots & lots & lots of dough just to be disappointed.

I guess my expensive Omen 32 sucks, and, well, so be it. Guess I should have done more research before buying it--which, of course, requires buying tons of disappointing stuff just to get rid of it at a massive loss only to buy new stuff to be disappointed in.

Thanks anyway,

AD

Kit:

I can't get my Omen 32 to work with adaptive refresh. I can now run it above 60Hz without skipping frames and that's it. I tried the Pendulum thingy, with GSync enabled I get awful stuttering. "Generic" VSync works better (but not perfectly, of course, because the rendered framerate is different from the screen refresh rate, so I get stutters.)

So, it looks like the whole Adaptive Refresh thing ain't gonna work for me unless I spend a lot of dough, and if you can tell by looking at my system specs below, I'm *really* sick and bloody tired of spending lots & lots & lots of dough just to be disappointed.

I guess my expensive Omen 32 sucks, and, well, so be it. Guess I should have done more research before buying it--which, of course, requires buying tons of disappointing stuff just to get rid of it at a massive loss only to buy new stuff to be disappointed in.

Thanks anyway,

AD

I'd imagine support for more freesync monitors is coming in the future. This is just the first step. Kind of surprising to be honest that nvidia made this move at all. It's about time. Running above 60hz is a step up imo.. at least in like first person shooters or something. I find that kind of gameplay much smoother at about 85fps compared to 60.

Edited by Headwarp
Spoiler

Mine works...(see my sig) I have not tried in dcs yes...but activating free sync in the monitor osd menu and then gsync in the Nvidia control panel it works and recognizes it.

So to try in dcs have i to set vsync to off?isn’t it?

🖥️ R7-5800X3D 64GB RTX-4090 LG-38GN950  🥽   🕹️ VPForce Rhino FFB, Virpil F-14 (VFX) Grip, F-15EX Throttle, Winwing Orion (Skywalker) Pedals, Razer Tartarus V2 💺SpeedMaster Flight Seat, JetSeat

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VF-103.png

I'd imagine support for more freesync monitors is coming in the future. This is just the first step. Kind of surprising to be honest that nvidia made this move at all. It's about time. Running above 60hz is a step up imo.. at least in like first person shooters or something. I find that kind of gameplay much smoother at about 85fps compared to 60.

OK, I apologize for the little rant there, this took me a LOT of screwing around to get working but here goes (if I had any hair I'd have pulled it all out by now!):

I had to download a little utility called Custom Resolution Utility.

I then created a new resolution setting for my monitor, at 100 Hz refresh rate (the monitor's built-in default allows only 60 and 75 Hz). It took some experimenting, but about 120 to 125 Hz seems to be my monitor's max without screwing up, so I used 100 to be safe for now.

Re-starting the graphics driver (rebooting, or using the Restart64.exe tool provided with CRU) causes the new refresh rate to show up in NVCP under the original PC Native res--I now have 3 options for refresh rate: the original 60 & 75, and also 100 Hz, all under the same resolution entry in the list. This is necessary for it to work.

Enabling G-Sync the usual way enables the system.

In normal use of the PC, the monitor is set to 75Hz, setting it to 100Hz causes it to display a message saying "input signal is out of range". However, it automatically switches to 100Hz when running a 3d app such as DCS, then switches back to 75Hz when I exit, and adjusts refresh rate to match rendered framerate--in other words, properly-working adaptive sync!

Whew, this took forever to sort out, and I'm still chasing some details, but that seems to be what's needed for monitors that "complain" or don't seem to work with this at all--you have to use CRU to create a custom high-refresh-rate option in the same native res entry in the list, otherwise it won't allow G-Sync at very high framerates. My monitor only natively supports 60 and 75 Hz, but I can now run it at 100+ Hz and it works really well! It also automatically switches back to 75Hz (or 60Hz if I set it to that in the Desktop) to avoid sync problems (monitor going to sleep) when not using a 3d app.

Nvidia has a test program called G-Sync Demo DX, the one with the pendulum swinging, and G-Sync works now from 40 to 100+ Hz, switching refresh automatically in-app, and going back to 75Hz when returning to the desktop :)Only thing is, regardless of NVCP settings, it only works in full-screen, not Windowed mode. But, that's fine for now.

That seems to do it!

AD

Kit:

Mine works...(see my sig) I have not tried in dcs yes...but activating free sync in the monitor osd menu and then gsync in the Nvidia control panel it works and recognizes it.

So to try in dcs have i to set vsync to off?isn’t it?

Yes, VSync is normally off everywhere when using G-sync. Let G-Sync do all the work :)

Having them both on, for me, causes the two to "fight" each other, causing all sorts of nasty FPS stutter/jitter issues.

You may have to create a new custom resolution entry (use Custom Resolution Utility, see my post) and re-start the graphics driver for it to show up in NVCP if your monitor's normal refresh rate is lower than what your games will render at. I had to do this for it to work well.

If you don't do this, leaving VSync on when using G-Sync *may* limit the framerate to the monitor's max default refresh, which is what you want--But, it might not work smoothly with G-Sync at all, causing all sorts of stuttering problems. On my own system, G-Sync and VSync don't like each other, so I had to create a custom res entry with a much higher refresh rate (100Hz for my monitor, normally only 60 and 75Hz).

AD

Kit:

Been awhile since I've used a monitor rather than VR in DCS, however I find that there are quite a few titles that will exceed the max refresh rate without v-sync on, g-sync will still sync if the frames drop below the max refresh rate, but will exceed max refresh rate if system has the horsepower to do so.

I have seen enabling G-sync in some titles take care of both however. So YMMV. I have seen nvidia driver versions where g-sync in windowed mode refused to work. I've also seen windows updates cause issues with nv drivers in this regard. So future updates may resolve that if it's happening.

Cool that you found a workaround AD.

Edited by Headwarp
Spoiler

Been awhile since I've used a monitor rather than VR in DCS, however I find that there are quite a few titles that will exceed the max refresh rate without v-sync on, g-sync will still sync if the frames drop below the max refresh rate, but will exceed max refresh rate if system has the horsepower to do so.

I have seen enabling G-sync in some titles take care of both however. So YMMV. I have seen nvidia driver versions where g-sync in windowed mode refused to work. I've also seen windows updates cause issues with nv drivers in this regard. So future updates may resolve that if it's happening.

Cool that you found a workaround AD.

No doot eh, I'm a little miffed that I have to screw around with Ctrl-Enter a bunch of times just to sort out of it's working or not. I prefer monitors since VR is extremely expensive and has awful resolution. Also, I only have a GTX 1080 Ti, and half-decent VR needs at least a dozen of 'em in SLI.

It's wonderful when it works, maybe I should buy a "real" G-Sync monitor. A decent 4K 40" screen with V-Sync will cost me, oh, about twice as much as the same thing without it. Or, maybe 3 times as much.

So, maybe not :)

AD

Kit:

No doot eh, I'm a little miffed that I have to screw around with Ctrl-Enter a bunch of times just to sort out of it's working or not. I prefer monitors since VR is extremely expensive and has awful resolution. Also, I only have a GTX 1080 Ti, and half-decent VR needs at least a dozen of 'em in SLI.

It's wonderful when it works, maybe I should buy a "real" G-Sync monitor. A decent 4K 40" screen with V-Sync will cost me, oh, about twice as much as the same thing without it. Or, maybe 3 times as much.

So, maybe not :)

AD

Lenovo explorer without controllers could be had for like $99USD+tax/shipping. Have an aussie friend on a budget that picked one up. I don't think he flies using his monitor anymore unless he's in a hotel with a laptop and an xbox controller because it took the least amount of space in his luggage.

Spoiler

I haven't seen this mentioned here: it only works via DisplayPort.

So if your FreeSync monitor is connected with a HDMI cable (or only has HDMI), it won't work. At least not now.

Also, it only works with GTX 10-series and RTX 20-series cards.

I haven't seen this mentioned here: it only works via DisplayPort.

So if your FreeSync monitor is connected with a HDMI cable (or only has HDMI), it won't work. At least not now.

Also, it only works with GTX 10-series and RTX 20-series cards.

That's right, DP only, 10- and 20-series only.

It's lovely when it works, though. Nothing else quite like it. Shame it's so fiddly. Sometimes it quits working, and I have to mess around with everything to get it to go again.

Maybe there are specific timings (resolution settings) that it works best with, I don't know. It drops sync a lot when changing settings, changing apps etc.

AD

Kit:

• 2 weeks later...
Does it work with win7?

I got the 417.71 nVidia driver installed but don't have that monitor setting in nVCP...

You have to enable it in your monitor first. Hunt through the monitor's settings with the buttons and make sure FreeSync is turned on, sometimes it's hidden in there somewhere. Mine was a little obscure. Then, you can enable it in NVCP.

For DCS World, enable VSync in the NVCP. I find it works better than using VSync in the sim Options menu. It only clamps your framerate--that's it, it doesn't do anything below the max refresh rate. That's what G-Sync is for.

When it's working right, the motion in DCS World is *incredibly* smooth and fluid--like real flight :) It's a real delight and nothing else is quite like it. That's why I think it's a shame that G-Sync is so finicky, usually turning off when the monitor goes into sleep mode and not turning back on unless you restart the graphics card, or switch resolutions back and forth in NVCP. But, so be it.

Peace :pilotfly:

AD

Kit:

here:

icJnTUAaB9Y

I tested this with my new Gigabyte Monitor and works without a glitch.

[sigpic]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic4448_29.gif[/sigpic]

My PC specs below:

Case: Corsair 400C

PSU: SEASONIC SS-760XP2 760W Platinum

CPU: AMD RYZEN 3900X (12C/24T)

RAM: 32 GB 4266Mhz (two 2x8 kits) of trident Z RGB @3600Mhz CL 14 CR=1T

MOBO: ASUS CROSSHAIR HERO VI AM4

GFX: GTX 1080Ti MSI Gaming X

Cooler: NXZT Kraken X62 280mm AIO

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2+6GB WD 6Gb red

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog + CH pro pedals

Monitor: Gigabyte AORUS AD27QD Freesync HDR400 1440P