converting .trk file

You don't. ;)

A trk is not a video file. It's basically a list of instructions about everything you and everything else did during the flight, allowing your computer to replicate it exactly - that's why you are able to look around and take control during a track playback.

So to make a video file, for example to upload on Youtube, you need to first record some video with a program like FRAPS. Prepare a lot of HDD space for that since it uses very little compression while recording. Start the track file as usual and hit your FRAPS hotkey to start recording. Then open in Windows Movie Maker or any such video editing software and compile the clips into a video.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

Thanks, I was afraid of that.

I flew a mission last night where I gunned down an enemy helicopter head to head. His burning wreckage flew into my windshield and took me out. Pretty intense footage. I kept the track file hoping I could convert it so I could post it.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I think there are freeware alternatives to FRAPS, though their names escape me at the moment.

Though if you want to show it to people here - just upload the trk. Other people can run your trk just fine.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

|
| Life of a Game Tester

Start the track file as usual and hit your FRAPS hotkey to start recording. Then open in Windows Movie Maker or any such video editing software and compile the clips into a video.

So there is a way (kinda). You simply replay the .trk file while recording it with FRAPS. That's not so hard.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Yes, like so:

Start the track file as usual and hit your FRAPS hotkey to start recording. Then open in Windows Movie Maker or any such video editing software and compile the clips into a video.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

|
| Life of a Game Tester

If your computer is giving low framerate while recording with Fraps, you can reduce the speed of the game while playing the track, for example 0.25 rate, then put the video into Vegas or Movie Maker and change the movie playback rate to "x4".

Usually I edit the track with all the views I want, then I save the modified track.

I play it again to record with Fraps (it can take a very long time due to the 0.25 speed rate and the size of the video file will be huge) but it's fine then when you edit in Vegas in x4 speed :-)

Edited by Xjikz

Proud to be a [sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] :joystick::pilotfly::book:

• 8 years later...
Thanks, I was afraid of that.

I flew a mission last night where I gunned down an enemy helicopter head to head. His burning wreckage flew into my windshield and took me out. Pretty intense footage. I kept the track file hoping I could convert it so I could post it.

I would really like to see the MIZ file if Your willing to share it !!!!

I just flew in the Huey for about the best 40 min flight

I have ever had with sun and rain and mountains

and I am looking for a way to convert to Youtube as well.

If I’m correct you will need to strip out an avi in the mission editor menu item for generating Avis then convert the avi to whatever format you wish. A point of note the track file can be converted to a miz file by changing the file type to miz. It’s nice when you want to familiarize yourself with amp mission and the server isn’t up or rotates missions periodically but iirc the server admin can.disable this.

BlackeyCole 20years usaf

XP-11. Dcs 2.5OB

Acer predator laptop/ i7 7720, 2.4ghz, 32 gb ddr4 ram, 500gb ssd,1tb hdd,nvidia 1080 8gb vram

New FlightSim Blog at https://blackeysblog.wordpress.com. Go visit it and leave me feedback and or comments so I can make it better. A new post every Friday.

• 7 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Thanks guys all very useful, I've been using my g-force over lay to record but it reduces, or slows the saved track down by half,. I too want to put some clips on YouTube so my friends can see.

So from what's been said the win movie maker or something like that you can increase the speed compensating for the lost speed in the recording.

MSI Z370 Gaming pro carbon/ I7 8700K/ 32GB DDR4/ MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Gaming X graphics card/ Windows 10/ Vive VR/ Rhino X-55 joystick & throttle/ logitec flight pedals