Terrible VR stuttering in 1.5 with 1080 Ti and Oculus Rift

Boris

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a 1080ti incoming..

So far what I understand is to:

Set nvidia control panel set to max performance, do not use defered sharing along with turning off AA.

I'm going to have a fun time searching for ideal settings :/

I can run 2x aa in DCS with deferred shading off ok and still get a pretty smooth experience.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

• 2 weeks later...

I just replaced my ASUS GTX 1070 Turbo 8G with an ASUS GTX 1080 TI OC 11G because I wanted to see how much more level of detail can be set with DCS still running sound and soft.

Well, reading all the posts about lags and stutters, I wasn´t too confdent about an improvement, but, what can I say, it just works !

DCS 1.5 set to a quite high level of detail (in-game AF and AA set to max, shadows to flat and low, terrain and traffic to medium, bushes, trees and radius to medium values, everything else to high & pixel density to 2.0) runs smoothly with around 23 fps when close to the ground and a good 45 fps in altitudes higher than 200ft.

With the same settings in DCS 2.x, the frame rate stays as low as 23 fps even if you climb a little higher, but, and that´s the difference to my old 1070, there´s no stutter - no matter how close you fly to the buildings nor how much you rotate your head sideways to watch the moving traffic.

Great - as far as my configuration is concerned !

By the way, I left the Nvidia control-panel settings to the recommended values in the graphics configuration, that is, most of the settings say "application-controlled". I´m not really sure how much that affects the VR functionality, but it might have an impact on the way DCS handles ASW & ATW.

Edited by ZoscheHH

MSI H170M-A Pro with i5-6600K @ 3.5 Ghz, 16Gb DDR4-2133, ASUS GTX 1080 TI 11 Gb DDR5 352bit, Win10 Pro,

PUMA Flight Trainer, DCS 1.5, 2.5 open beta, UH-1H, KA50, Mi8-MTV2, Gazelle.

Have a safe flight !

• 2 weeks later...

I run i7, MSI 1080zi Gaming X. Flying through Vegas (Version 2.1.1) is good, even at mid to high setting ok fps and smooth experience.

Recently installend DCS 1.5.7 (more mission content) and I am disappointed, fps way lower, stuttering, hard to fly the gazelle if not smooth. :mad:

so some folks had me install DCS 1.5

i was really not impressed at all.

after a quick mission..

it was a stark contrast.

the defered shading stuff really brings out life to DCS.

i immediately had to uninstall 1.5

it was so 2d, but in VR- 1.5 really depressing after experiencing 2.0

in Nevada, i was amazed to fly around in the city.. the cast of shadows, the reflection of rooftop surfaces..

DCS just looked amazing in 2.0 or 2.1, what ever the version was.

DCS 2.5 needs to come now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! give us that beautiful caucasus in T5 version!!!!!

find me on steam! username: Hannibal_A101A

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197969447179

• 8 months later...

I suspect Asus GPUTweakII to be the culprit. Don't run that thing!

I hope this info finds everyone struggling with this terrible issue.

Also, close any web browser, especially Microsoft Edge.

Edit: This late reply may apply to version 1.5 but refers to version 2.5.x.

Edit 2: I'm not too sure about GPUTweakII anymore. I still have a bad feeling about Edge.

Edited by Jack McCoy
About DCS version

i7-7700K@4.8GHz, 16Gb-3200, GTX-1080Ti-Strix-11Gb, Maximus IX Hero, Oculus Rift, Thrustmaster Warthog+F/A-18C, Logitech G940 Pedals.