F-16 books/novels - Page 2 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 05-30-2019, 05:48 PM   #11
RaceFuel85

Vipers in the Storm is by far the superior book, as is "Eye of the Viper", which is a book about F-16 flight training.

Viper Pilot is insufferable trash, lots of bullshit, lots of needless space filler.
RaceFuel85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 11:06 PM   #12
Cann0nF0dd3r

Not strictly featuring the Viper but "Storming Heaven" and some small sections of "Day of the Cheetah" and "Plan of Attack" by Dale Brown have some cool F-16 action.
Cann0nF0dd3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 03:54 AM   #13
hansangb
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceFuel85 View Post
Vipers in the Storm is by far the superior book, as is "Eye of the Viper", which is a book about F-16 flight training.

Viper Pilot is insufferable trash, lots of bullshit, lots of needless space filler.

Ordered the ..in the Storm. But I also liked Viper Pilot. I thought he gave a riveting view of what it's like to sit in the cockpit, how they communicated etc.
Spoiler:
i7-8700K Delid/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, EVGA Z370 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, JetSeat, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, CV1
hansangb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 11:31 AM   #14
Robert31178

Yeah, Boyd's bio was a dry but super informative read. I loved it, some pretty funny anecdotes. I've been into aviation my whole life and I had never heard of him until I picked up that book at a thrift store.....I was pretty impressed with him, had no idea that he had pretty much steered USAF tactical aviation right to where it ended up by Gulf I, ensuring the USAF had the planes it needed to complete the mission sets presented after so many years of more or less planning for "the Big One" to come out of eastern Europe. An incredibly forward thinking individual.

I think my favorite story in the book is not about aviation though. Stormin' Norman presented his battle plan to the White House and it was another large scale, mass frontal assault, what Boyd had always called "hey diddle diddle, straight up the middle". Well, Donald R was one of Boyd's cronies back in the year, took one peek at the plan and threw it back at the Gen, telling him "nah, figure out a way to go around it all, the come back with THAT in your new plan". The plan executed by coalition forces was more or less a product of Boyd's battlefield thinking. Pretty impressive that it came from an aviator's influence, correctly assessing history and what could be changed to make modern assaults less costly for the good guys!!
Robert31178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 07:29 PM   #15
Focha

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghashpl View Post
Dan Hampton "Viper pilot"

Quite good.
+1
Old 06-03-2019, 08:05 AM   #16
Karon

I never managed to finish Viper pilot. There's a limit to the amount of bullshit I can bear. Really terrible, the worst military book / biography I read, and I really read a bit of everything, some good, some not (still never as bad as that book): from Sakai to Gorrini to Rudel to more recent Macy, Franzak, Fick, Tootal just to name a few.

I can't believe I spent money on that thing.

SCIO ME NESCIRE
Virpil T50 Stick & Throttle • CH Pro Pedals • 3xTM MFD • Saitek Quadrant • 7" 800x600 LDC • Way too many Arduino Controllers

132nd Virtual Wing - 108th vSq (F-14B) and 696th vSq (Ka-50)
VCB: ArmA3 British Army Light Infantry platoon
A3/DCS youtube channel: ArmA3 streaming + DCS nonsense
Arduino control panels forum thread
Karon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 08:25 AM   #17
WildBillKelsoe
Veteran

Dan Hampton.

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.
WildBillKelsoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 03:43 PM   #18
Mule

Sounds like a great man. I’m getting the book.
Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 03:14 AM   #19
GrEaSeLiTeNiN

I prefer audiobooks (Audible). The reader's dramatisation puts you in the cockpit! Viper Pilot is pretty good.

https://www.amazon.com/Viper-Pilot-A.../dp/B009KEZBME
GrEaSeLiTeNiN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 04:02 AM   #20
Bun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert31178 View Post
Yeah, Boyd's bio was a dry but super informative read. I loved it, some pretty funny anecdotes. I've been into aviation my whole life and I had never heard of him until I picked up that book at a thrift store.

If you enjoyed Boyd's bio here is an interview with the author
https://www.artofmanliness.com/artic...-robert-coram/

The Airforce hates Boyd and the Marines love him...