• 5 months later...

Ill be able next week to lay down a couple more JTAC educational videos in my petty JTAC channel in hopes to bring more realism to DCS MP. So I decided to splice the tapes to show how fruitful it can be when all the sex has been spat on the radio. The sound alone is worth it troops!

My CAS (Close air support) JTAC Channel:  RIFLE - YouTube  

RIFLE's Discord:  https://discord.gg/cmDCrr4Z2g  

Publications

JTAC Bible (see/know chapter #5) https://fas.org/irp/doddir/dod/jp3_09_3.pdf

J-FIRE pocket guide (Don't do battle without it!)  BK2 (fas.org)

regarding CAS and JTACs:

The 132nd Virtual Wing is opening recruitment for dedicated A10-C pilots again. Although we train for and fly all mission profiles (AR, SCAR, etc), the focus of our A10 squadron is on Close Air Support featuring human JTACs.

(In addition to A10 pilots, we always have room for more JTACs, should you be interested in becoming a JTAC (no matter if you are experienced already or want to start from scratch), we would also be happy to have you on board!)

After completing your Mission Qualification Training (MQT), we offer CAS qualifications up to and including FAC(A)qualification.

If you want to be part of a tightly structured and friendly multiplayer environment that focuses on immersion, realism, and strategy, come and visit us.

Our Training days are Wednesdays at 1900z, and on Sundays we have either Training or Combat missions (completion of MQT is required to participate in our Combat Missions).

To see us in action, please check out our youtube channel; and give us a visit on our website, where you will find all info you need about the recruitment process.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqwGk59cnEPIaeUYGoxqnmA

http://132virtualwing.org/

We mainly fly on the Persian Gulf map.

Please note that a good level of English, and a proper microphone setup, are mandatory.

We looking forward to hearing from you!

Thanks Entropy!

I have played several missions with the 132nd and it is well worth the time invested every time!

Entropy. HAWG63 and RIFLE are one and the same.

Cheers.

Publications

• 1 year later...

Was able to recently shake the dust off with the 132nd.  Thanks to the professor for sharing this video of a two hour CAS vul with individual cas briefs (9lines) in the description.

Note:  Its not perfect as I started cheating and allowing more flexibility to these two flights, it gives a good idea of the procedure involved.

Thanks 132nd.

A-10C CAS training with RIFLE, 132nd Virtual Wing - YouTube

• Like 1

Publications

• 2 weeks later...
Played dcs twice and now have quite a bit of mail about 9 lines? I dont have time to edit so I came up with a white board idea, its not great. Please if you have 7 minutes I'll take points to improve on how to make these better. I will publish other 9 line videos that relate to different issues such as LGB etc. Thanks. https://youtu.be/by9BnGVmhVs
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Publications

1 hour ago, HAWG63 said:
Played dcs twice and now have quite a bit of mail about 9 lines? I dont have time to edit so I came up with a white board idea, its not great. Please if you have 7 minutes I'll take points to improve on how to make these better. I will publish other 9 line videos that relate to different issues such as LGB etc. Thanks. https://youtu.be/by9BnGVmhVs

Excellent work even with the simplest methods! Worked out great with the witheboard. Really apprehensive! 

I have just one question popping into my mind. Since the target will be marked by talk on anyway, would it be reasonable to just give a rough bearing and distance in line 6 (e.g. "POINT ECHO, 280°, 800M)? And then continue the talk on from point echo? 

Again, thanks for doing this. It really clears stuff up! 

And I am really curious about the LGB 9-line. Keep the good stuff coming! 

GeForce RTX 4090 Founders Edition - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D - 64Gb RAM - Win11 - HP Reverb G1 - Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS (40cm extension) - VKB Sim T-Rudder MKIV Pedals

1 hour ago, exil said:

Excellent work even with the simplest methods! Worked out great with the witheboard. Really apprehensive! 

I have just one question popping into my mind. Since the target will be marked by talk on anyway, would it be reasonable to just give a rough bearing and distance in line 6 (e.g. "POINT ECHO, 280°, 800M)? And then continue the talk on from point echo? 

Again, thanks for doing this. It really clears stuff up! 

And I am really curious about the LGB 9-line. Keep the good stuff coming! 

Exil, thanks for the kind words.  Glad you liked the white board!

That's a really great question.  I have done that with Rotary wing from a known point "Radial, 280 for 800"  However this would be very challenging depending on the fast mover you had.  Also, your location (800) is very far away.  In the correlation video we will cover some of this with talk ons.  

I would not recommend this approach.  I have witnessed a lot of CAS but I will never say it CAN NOT be done.  From your Echo point I would just make a new 6 or 8 figure grid.  I would also invite you to think about the aircrew.  A B-1B crew can afford to spend time working this out, however a single F16 pilot maybe not so much.  Especially with todays sensors I would always try to get the best grid location possible so that when those coordinates are entered into the TGP, when the TGP slews there they see a nice hot target ready for plinking.

Publications

Point taken! Thanks for clarification.

The reason why I was asking is, if the aircraft I'm talking to has sensors which they can slew on a coordinate, why do I need the talk on? If I could give them an 8-digit grid in line 6, they will be able to spot 10x10m around the target, so basically close enough to spot the right thing. 

Basically, I thought, give them a rough 'guess' where the target is would save some time rather than transmitting coordinates and waiting for the read back. And also newer aircraft could easily create a new mark point with bearing and range from an existing waypoint (echo point).  You would just have to punch in PE/280/0.4 (as most of the aircraft use NM rather than meters) in the CDU. 

Don't get me wrong here, not critizising any of what you've said. Just trying to understand how it's done correctly. 

But maybe I just have to be patient for the next video and it will clear things up a bit more 🙂

Again, this is absolutely helpful digging into the jtacs Perspektive in DCS. There are thousands of tutorials out there for all kinds of aircraft but not a single one explaining how it works from the other side of the gun! Really appreciate! 

Edited by exil

GeForce RTX 4090 Founders Edition - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D - 64Gb RAM - Win11 - HP Reverb G1 - Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS (40cm extension) - VKB Sim T-Rudder MKIV Pedals

2 hours ago, exil said:

The reason why I was asking is, if the aircraft I'm talking to has sensors which they can slew on a coordinate, why do I need the talk on?

That's a great question and I've been wondering that for quite some time as well.

The understanding that I've gained so far, and I hope Hawg63 can clarify if that's roughly correct, is that a JTAC will typically give a talk-on first. This way, the CAS pilot can build SA and get an actual picture of the situation on the ground, including the friendlies, the target, and anything else that's worth noting.

Only when everyone is on the same page will the JTAC put all this stuff into a much stricter format, which is the actual CAS brief, including the 9-line. I think I've read that JTACs are also required to keep all their 9-line cards for debriefing and probably for legal reasons.

So the actual order, as I understand it, is not "Here's the 9-line, and then I'll talk you onto that 10x10 meter target" where the pilot would just have the soda-straw vision of the target area. It's the other way around: Talk-on, make sure they're all seeing the same thing, and then finally codify it into a formal CAS brief including the 9-line.

But to make sure that they are really talking about the same target and they're really looking at the same spot, the target coordinates should allow for a cross check. A 6 digit grid for example will allow the pilot to double check against the sensors, whereas "by talk-on" just means "whatever you're looking at should be fine"; and the latter part would be a real problem if the pilot had been looking at the wrong spot for whatever reason. In other words, the coordinate adds a layer of safety against mishaps and mistakes.

Edited by Yurgon

20 hours ago, exil said:

Point taken! Thanks for clarification.

The reason why I was asking is, if the aircraft I'm talking to has sensors which they can slew on a coordinate, why do I need the talk on? If I could give them an 8-digit grid in line 6, they will be able to spot 10x10m around the target, so basically close enough to spot the right thing. 

Basically, I thought, give them a rough 'guess' where the target is would save some time rather than transmitting coordinates and waiting for the read back. And also newer aircraft could easily create a new mark point with bearing and range from an existing waypoint (echo point).  You would just have to punch in PE/280/0.4 (as most of the aircraft use NM rather than meters) in the CDU. 

Don't get me wrong here, not critizising any of what you've said. Just trying to understand how it's done correctly. 

But maybe I just have to be patient for the next video and it will clear things up a bit more 🙂

Again, this is absolutely helpful digging into the jtacs Perspektive in DCS. There are thousands of tutorials out there for all kinds of aircraft but not a single one explaining how it works from the other side of the gun! Really appreciate! 

Exil,

You're not wrong.  A sensor can be on a 10x10 grid location but as the pilot is zoomed out potentially they may see other "tanks".  Which tank is yours?  Also, generating a grid location there are numerous factors to choose.  We are lucky in DCS that we can now select an incredibly precise location and download that into a JDAM.  In reality this is possible with the right software.  However, if I am generating a grid location off my 1;50,000 map with my fat fingers and salty sweat in my eyes, the grid I am grabbing is 6 figures at best.  It'll allow for quick sensor position followed by a quick talk on.  Also, I want the pilot to talk about things in the talk on I have not spoken about.  If I can't see his FMV (full motion video) he needs to paint me a picture with words of what I am looking at.  This will give me the warm and fuzzy we are looking at the right thing.  If you can, do a laser mark for line 7 if your air crew is proficient and time isn't a factor.

I've been out of the game since 2017 and never had an aircraft punch in radial data.  I'll ask around to see if it is becoming common.  The only guys that I ever did radial with was Marine RW.  No criticism taken, this is constantly evolving and I am not the CAS god.

I'll keep em coming.

• Thanks 1

Publications

18 hours ago, Yurgon said:

That's a great question and I've been wondering that for quite some time as well.

The understanding that I've gained so far, and I hope Hawg63 can clarify if that's roughly correct, is that a JTAC will typically give a talk-on first. This way, the CAS pilot can build SA and get an actual picture of the situation on the ground, including the friendlies, the target, and anything else that's worth noting.

Only when everyone is on the same page will the JTAC put all this stuff into a much stricter format, which is the actual CAS brief, including the 9-line. I think I've read that JTACs are also required to keep all their 9-line cards for debriefing and probably for legal reasons.

So the actual order, as I understand it, is not "Here's the 9-line, and then I'll talk you onto that 10x10 meter target" where the pilot would just have the soda-straw vision of the target area. It's the other way around: Talk-on, make sure they're all seeing the same thing, and then finally codify it into a formal CAS brief including the 9-line.

But to make sure that they are really talking about the same target and they're really looking at the same spot, the target coordinates should allow for a cross check. A 6 digit grid for example will allow the pilot to double check against the sensors, whereas "by talk-on" just means "whatever you're looking at should be fine"; and the latter part would be a real problem if the pilot had been looking at the wrong spot for whatever reason. In other words, the coordinate adds a layer of safety against mishaps and mistakes.

I welcome all questions.  I need to keep my CAS brain working.

The JTAC can give the talk on if the pilot doesn't know, however there are situations where the pilot will find the threat before the ground force.  At that time the pilot would describe the threat, pass coordinates which become your line 6 and the JTAC would plot the location and make sure there are no friendlies there etc.  From such a situation lines 4 and 6 readback would be "from your sensors."  Line 5 as required.

I have kept no records of my 9 lines for official purposes.  Afghanistan had a web page we could publish BDA but no one cared for it.  In Iraq I kept my own log for my own purposes cause business was good.

There are bastardized 9 lines I've created and at times no briefs were passed.  Just a general understanding and we needed effects right away.  There are plenty of JTACs out there when their situations were scary and planes just turned in.  In fact my first ever 9 line was a complete abortion, hindered the effectiveness of the A-10 and the following morning we spoke on the phone where I learned some of the most valuable points as a JTAC and A-10 employment.

With regards to "so the actual order".  I would say, there isn't.  It depends on so many aspects of how the tactical scenario develops as I think you can appreciate from what I've been saying so far.  But yes, 9 line followed by correlation "talk on", make sure you're talking about the same thing.  Both ways work.  At the end of the day, whatever is the fastest way works.  Not all situations are the same.  Gets tricky and why I love it.  Be flexible.

I agree coordinates "may" be best.  Situation dependent.  Even some pilots have read back the correct line 6 and then mistakes are made.  In many blue on blue situations both pilot and JTAC deviate from procedure.  Especially after numerous 9 Lines or consecutive attacks (I'm guilty of this myself "not fratricide mind you") you start cutting corners to just keep the effects coming sequentially.  

Hope that helps.  Master the basics sequentially, then make it modular to seamlessly spray freedom on the battlefield.

• Thanks 1

Publications

1 hour ago, HAWG63 said:

Exil,

You're not wrong.  A sensor can be on a 10x10 grid location but as the pilot is zoomed out potentially they may see other "tanks".  Which tank is yours?  Also, generating a grid location there are numerous factors to choose.  We are lucky in DCS that we can now select an incredibly precise location and download that into a JDAM.  In reality this is possible with the right software.  However, if I am generating a grid location off my 1;50,000 map with my fat fingers and salty sweat in my eyes, the grid I am grabbing is 6 figures at best.  It'll allow for quick sensor position followed by a quick talk on.  Also, I want the pilot to talk about things in the talk on I have not spoken about.  If I can't see his FMV (full motion video) he needs to paint me a picture with words of what I am looking at.  This will give me the warm and fuzzy we are looking at the right thing.  If you can, do a laser mark for line 7 if your air crew is proficient and time isn't a factor.

I've been out of the game since 2017 and never had an aircraft punch in radial data.  I'll ask around to see if it is becoming common.  The only guys that I ever did radial with was Marine RW.  No criticism taken, this is constantly evolving and I am not the CAS god.

I'll keep em coming.

Thanks again for the detailed answer! 

Now, it all makes perfect sense. You easily forget what DCS can't simulate compared to the real world: stress, fear, anxiety just to name a few. Those factors leave a lot of room for error which won't when you're sitting in front of your PC with a nice cup of coffee. 

As for the bearing/range thing: A lot of newer aircraft (and some older ones, even airliners) are capable of creating waypoints like this. But actually none of the aircraft in DCS I know of (well when I think about it, I guess maybe the F18 in fact).

I know that this procedure is common (as you stated) for RW CAS or CCA within a TIC situation and the guy on the radio is not a qualified JTAC. But that would be another chapter. So far, I'm really happy to dive a bit deeper in the JTAC business due to you sharing your knowledge. 

• Like 1

• RIFLE_JTAC_TRAINING changed the title to JTAC Procedure Youtube videos.
  • 2 months later...

Hi all,

As I continue with current life and studies I've decided to add a playlist of past RL experiences regarding all things Special Forces Operator and JTAC!

Enjoy this HE Mark from a 81mm while a CF-18 confirms the target with this student JTAC!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_c_NcH5BMXw

• Like 1

Publications

HI!

Hot off the press.  An addition to the 9 line video, populating the 9 line for specific Laser weapon employment when using a ground based laser!

Any questions please ask!

Next Ill follow up with BOC (bomb on coordinate) and teach a cool trick with LGBs and this method.

Thanks for the support and I really hope everyone is getting something out of these.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Publications

Just a fun video to add, seeing how comfortable we were marking targets in 2011.

Enjoy.

• Like 1

Publications

Adding some AC-130W gunship love to the channel.

Join the discord if you have any questions about the call for fire and or a 5 line.

• Like 1

Publications

Some Cobra love today added to the channel.

Its not live but the flight profile shows how close a guns and rockets pass actually can get!  These marines are very much grunts that just happen to fly like they stole it.  Love it.

Enjoy.

• Like 1

Publications

Extraction never looks anything like this!  Seriously, there is a CH47 in your face.  Its just a taste.

Publications

A targeting pod talk on to the next lesson in the CAS execution.  Post 9 Line we are using a targeting pod to make sure both Pilot and JTAC understand what the actual target is.

Please note another video should have come out before to talk on a pilots eyes.  But either way this is ready now and thanks so much to 132nd.Professor for doing such a great job with this correlation and managing his flight to achieve my intent.

Let me know if you like the whiteboard videos or talking to a DCS in game video!

Cheers,

Edited by HAWG63
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Publications

Before going kinetic, sometimes showing the belly of the B-1B up close is enough to make the baddies change their mind.

Enjoy this BONE show of force prior to strikes in Oklahoma.

• Like 1

Publications