Auto Hover and Turn on target not working properly... - ED Forums

Notices

Old 04-16-2018, 09:05 AM   #1
Hoggorm

Default Auto Hover and Turn on target not working properly...

Hi,

I can't get the Auto Hover and Turn on target feature to work properly in the Ka-50.

Before engaging the auto hover autopilot, I make sure that I am already basically hovering with less than 15 km/h airspeed and no vertical speed.

Pressing Alt-T the Auto Hover autopilot turns on, but it will not hold the aircraft at the current position. It quickly starts to drift away...

I have the same problem with the auto turn to target. When it is on the aircraft will not turn to the target marked by the helmet sight... Instead it will turn to another heading not in the direction of the target area at all... Often 90 deg offset.

What am I doing wrong here?
Hoggorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 10:38 AM   #2
Looney

Auto-hover engage < 10km/h
Old 04-16-2018, 10:41 AM   #3
Keakaha

Could it be you have the Flight Director engaged while trying to do this?
Keakaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 10:46 AM   #4
Looney

Also make sure the PVI-800 isn't active as it tends to mess up a lot of stuff while trying to get weapons on target.
Old 04-16-2018, 12:18 PM   #5
Hoggorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looney View Post
Auto-hover engage < 10km/h
I believe I've tried well below that speed too...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keakaha View Post
Could it be you have the Flight Director engaged while trying to do this?
Yes, I may very well have had the FD on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looney View Post
Also make sure the PVI-800 isn't active as it tends to mess up a lot of stuff while trying to get weapons on target.
I see. I'll make sure of that
Old 04-16-2018, 03:15 PM   #6
toilet2000

I've had this happened because the aircraft wasn't properly trim. Make sure to trim the Ka50 when in hover, then engage the auto-hover. The reason for the drift is that the autopilot system doesn't have full authority over the stick and collective. If the forces required to hover the ka-50 are bigger than what the auto-pilot is willing to output, it'll just apply as much as it can (but not enough), thus making the aircraft drift.

Make sure the forces on the cyclic and collective are close to zero (trimmed) in auto-hover before engaging the AP.
toilet2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 03:29 PM   #7
Frank Murphy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoggorm View Post
I have the same problem with the auto turn to target. When it is on the aircraft will not turn to the target marked by the helmet sight...
Do you mean helmet sight or HUD sight ? That is where the AT function should aim at.
Frank Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 06:01 PM   #8
BitMaster
Veteran

As said, you need to be in a near perfect hover, trimmed, before engaging Auto-Hover.

If the PV-800 and ROUTE Mode is still on, it will hover but your nose will always try to point
according to PV-800 coordinates. Disable Route Mode or Disable the WP in PV-800.
Your HuD will also change once those are OFF. Now engage ATTT, it will follow your Shkval.
Asus Strix Z370-E - Intel i7-8700K@5.2G_delidded - 32GB-3?00 - Asus 1080GTX-Ti Poseidon 2101/12000 ( BalsaStick-Support ) - 1x 960Evo 250GB - 2x 850Pro 256GB Raid-0 - 2x Seagate 2TB - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@4x180mm fans - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" WQHD Gsync 144Hz - Oculus Rift VR - Win10Pro64 - Slave to the Machine
BitMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 09:55 PM   #9
Hoggorm

Thank you all. I’ve tried a few more times when trimming the aircraft the best I could. It appears to be working better then as you say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Murphy View Post
Do you mean helmet sight or HUD sight ? That is where the AT function should aim at.
I mean the turn direct the target where the Shkval is looking at.
Old 04-16-2018, 10:31 PM   #10
Frank Murphy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoggorm View Post
Thank you all. I’ve tried a few more times when trimming the aircraft the best I could. It appears to be working better then as you say.

I mean the turn direct the target where the Shkval is looking at.
Ok I was wondering if you were talking about the helmet reticle or not. Of course the ATTT function does not follow that reticle.
Frank Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote