Wake turbulence for warbirds

JG13Wulf

Hello,

Lot of people including me are surprised that the wake turbulence are that important behind warbirds. As I didn't see lot of information about this recently (maybe I missed it), I don't know if this feature of DCS is finished or not ? But For now flying behind a P51 or a Bf 109 is like flying behind a C130. It feel like it's a bit too important for those little planes.

Thanks

Hello,

Lot of people including me are surprised that the wake turbulence are that important behind warbirds. As I didn't see lot of information about this recently (maybe I missed it), I don't know if this feature of DCS is finished or not ? But For now flying behind a P51 or a Bf 109 is like flying behind a C130. It feel like it's a bit too important for those little planes.

Thanks

You don't want to fly behind c130 in warbird believe me. :)

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

It is what it is. It's easy even flying into your own wake turbulence, just make a correct coordinated turn keeping altitude, and you'll see. IRL it's the very same, wake turbulence is a dangerous thing you want to avoid specially when it's from any bigger aircraft than yours or a helicopter. But any wake turbulence can be a problem.

S!

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

• ED Team
Hello,

Thanks

This video shows the main dependances of the wake turbulence.

• Like 2

Ніщо так сильно не ранить мозок, як уламки скла від розбитих рожевих окулярів

There is nothing so hurtful for the brain as splinters of broken rose-coloured spectacles.

Ничто так сильно не ранит мозг, как осколки стекла от разбитых розовых очков (С) Me

When on online aerobatic server wake was enabled i always was plaing with wake turbalance.

Often passing under unaware pilot and pulling high g just before his nose heh :P

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

When on online aerobatic server wake was enabled i always was plaing with wake turbalance.

Often passing under unaware pilot and pulling high g just before his nose heh :P

This stuff is why they turned it back off

I hear wake turbulence isn't quite accurate in some areas though, such as on the ground, making planes move while stationary

Hardware: T-16000M Pack, Saitek 3 Throttle Quadrant, Homemade 32-function Leo Bodnar Button Box, MFG Crosswind Pedals Oculus Rift S

System Specs: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS, GTX 1070 SC2, AMD RX3700, 32GB DDR4-3200, Samsung 860 EVO, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB

Modules: Ka-50, Mi-8MTV2, FC3, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-5E, P-51D, Spitfire Mk LF Mk. IXc, Bf-109K-4, Fw-190A-8

Maps: Normandy, Nevada

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

This stuff is why they turned it back off

I hear wake turbulence isn't quite accurate in some areas though, such as on the ground, making planes move while stationary

They turned it off because fps issues ;)

It is what it is. It's easy even flying into your own wake turbulence, just make a correct coordinated turn keeping altitude, and you'll see. IRL it's the very same, wake turbulence is a dangerous thing you want to avoid specially when it's from any bigger aircraft than yours or a helicopter. But any wake turbulence can be a problem.

S!

Yes Wake turbulences are dangerous. I don't mean it isn't. But I'm surprised it's so important.

Last time, we took off with two Fw 190A8 with 250kg bombs. By "accident" the other plane past in front of me just after we left the ground. My Fw 190 almost get upside down in a second. I understand that big plane are dangerous for little plane. But that was weird to me that a Fw 190A could do that to another one.

This video shows the main dependances of the wake turbulence.

Thanks, I see it before. It's quite nice. But What I'm asking is not about how they work. It's more about how powerfull those are for warbirds.

I'm just surprised that we get so big effect from plane that have almost the same size.

I'm just wondering if it's normal or something that still need work.

• Like 1

Yes Wake turbulences are dangerous. I don't mean it isn't. But I'm surprised it's so important.

Last time, we took off with two Fw 190A8 with 250kg bombs. By "accident" the other plane past in front of me just after we left the ground. My Fw 190 almost get upside down in a second. I understand that big plane are dangerous for little plane. But that was weird to me that a Fw 190A could do that to another one.

Thanks, I see it before. It's quite nice. But What I'm asking is not about how they work. It's more about how powerfull those are for warbirds.

I'm just surprised that we get so big effect from plane that have almost the same size.

I'm just wondering if it's normal or something that still need work.

It's overdone for such small airframes. Probably ED is still fine tuning them, hopefully..

Sent from my Redmi 5 using Tapatalk

Specs:

Asus Z97 PRO Gamer, i7 4790K@4.6GHz, 4x8GB Kingston @2400MHz 11-13-14-32, Titan X, Creative X-Fi, 128+2x250GB SSDs, VPC T50 Throttle + G940, MFG Crosswinds, TrackIR 5 w/ pro clip, JetSeat, Win10 Pro 64-bit, Oculus Rift, 27"@1920x1080

Settings:

2.1.x - Textures:High Terrain:High Civ.Traffic:Off Water:High VisRan:Low Heatblur:High Shadows:High Res:1920x1080 RoC:1024 MSAA:4x AF:16x HDR:OFF DefS: ON GCI: ON DoF:Off Lens: OFF C/G:390m Trees:1500m R:max Gamma: 1.5

They turned it off because fps issues ;)
No, they turned it off also because douches were doing exactly what you did. With it on, you don't make passes over the runway (and apparently ramp and taxiway as it would throw aircraft) while people are taking off, and you don't pass in front of others, especially a formation. People on discord were reporting idiots doing this with it on, and it's the biggest reason why they turned it off. You cant ban 1/2 the AO playerbase without shooting yourself in the foot

Hardware: T-16000M Pack, Saitek 3 Throttle Quadrant, Homemade 32-function Leo Bodnar Button Box, MFG Crosswind Pedals Oculus Rift S

System Specs: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS, GTX 1070 SC2, AMD RX3700, 32GB DDR4-3200, Samsung 860 EVO, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB

Modules: Ka-50, Mi-8MTV2, FC3, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-5E, P-51D, Spitfire Mk LF Mk. IXc, Bf-109K-4, Fw-190A-8

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• ED Team
It's overdone for such small airframes. Probably ED is still fine tuning them, hopefully..

Negative.

The wake turbulence is a thing that is based mostly on conservation laws, so the laws for it is quite obvious.

• Like 1

There is nothing so hurtful for the brain as splinters of broken rose-coloured spectacles.

Ничто так сильно не ранит мозг, как осколки стекла от разбитых розовых очков (С) Me

Negative.

The wake turbulence is a thing that is based mostly on conservation laws, so the laws for it is quite obvious.

But it surely depends on several factors like wingspan, speed, weight, atmospheric conditions, etc. I highly doubt that is correctly calculated in DCS.

Specs:

Asus Z97 PRO Gamer, i7 4790K@4.6GHz, 4x8GB Kingston @2400MHz 11-13-14-32, Titan X, Creative X-Fi, 128+2x250GB SSDs, VPC T50 Throttle + G940, MFG Crosswinds, TrackIR 5 w/ pro clip, JetSeat, Win10 Pro 64-bit, Oculus Rift, 27"@1920x1080

Settings:

2.1.x - Textures:High Terrain:High Civ.Traffic:Off Water:High VisRan:Low Heatblur:High Shadows:High Res:1920x1080 RoC:1024 MSAA:4x AF:16x HDR:OFF DefS: ON GCI: ON DoF:Off Lens: OFF C/G:390m Trees:1500m R:max Gamma: 1.5

• ED Team
But it surely depends on several factors like wingspan, speed, weight, atmospheric conditions, etc. I highly doubt that is correctly calculated in DCS.

Of course this parameters are involved but the point is that all these parameters are parts of the conservation law.

And, to be correct, not weight but lift.

And, of course, they all are correctly calculated.

Edited by Yo-Yo

Of course this parameters are involved but the point is that all these parameters are parts of the conservation law.

And, to be correct, not weight but lift.

And, of course, they all are correctly calculated.

If you are sure.

I'm surprised but I'm for realism :pilotfly:

I agree with wulf it is extreme for WW2 warbirds for my tastes.

Because we are all have flow warbirds and we know that wake turbulence is over done.

Remember, if you want to convince someone, show him a bit more other than saying "of course it's correct".
I would like to see some more in-depth discussion on it, actually. Maybe if not to prove a point, to show how some of the math and theory is present (or perhaps not present) in DCS

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Oh good, the "I feel" brigade back again with how it can't possibly be correct cos their instincts - which we should all bow down to and hold in esteem over any mathematical data and carefully calculated models provided by experts in aerodynamic simulations - tell them so.

Fred Akary would disagree with your instincts:

And there is speculative but credible reasoning to believe that Mark Hannah's tragically fatal accident in a Buchon in Spain was possibly caused by encountering the lingering wake turbulence from his own run and break pass whilst turning on final to land.

Neither of these point to wake turbulence from WW2 fighter a/c being insignificant; you wanna contest the quantitive factor of this argument then you better start hitting your aerodynamics text books & have a calculator handy.

Oh, hang on a mo! That's exactly what Yo-Yo has done! A professional software aerodynamist!

Your credentials and contradictory data....?

Oh good, the "I feel" brigade back again with how it can't possibly be correct cos their instincts - which we should all bow down to and hold in esteem over any mathematical data and carefully calculated models provided by experts in aerodynamic simulations - tell them so.

Fred Akary would disagree with your instincts:

And there is speculative but credible reasoning to believe that Mark Hannah's tragically fatal accident in a Buchon in Spain was possibly caused by encountering the lingering wake turbulence from his own run and break pass whilst turning on final to land.

Neither of these point to wake turbulence from WW2 fighter a/c being insignificant; you wanna contest the quantitive factor of this argument then you better start hitting your aerodynamics text books & have a calculator handy.

Oh, hang on a mo! That's exactly what Yo-Yo has done! A professional software aerodynamist!

Your credentials and contradictory data....?

Remember that not only DCS dev make study :music_whistling:

And surprised don't mean disagree :smartass:

Well great. Now if you could tell us the scenario and all those details, that would be much more helpful.

I was taking off just after pair of p-51 i didn't encounter prop wash and i didn't encounter wake barely need to do anything then usual, when i lift off, i felt it like small dip in the road.

What i heard is that short interval take offs in prop planes was almost impossible to those factors. And i was maybe 2-3 length of plane behind.

Edited by grafspee