SimShaker for DCS World Sound Mode Expansion - Discussion

Good approach.

It usually starts automatically once the software detects that the game is running. Both must be running.

SimShaker for Aviators is able to start SimShaker Sound Module automatically if selected in settings as on the picture attached.

Thanks for all your help. I finally made the software function.

I am now trying to buy your software. If I choose USD as the currency at checkout, I discover that your website forces me to return to the home page to select a different currency. After I go to PayPal, I then discover that PayPal will not allow transactions in the currency you force me to choose at checkout. Confusing.

I want to buy this software, but I cannot because your site only allows a currency that Paypal does not allow! Are there any payment methods for US customers???

Edited by Gpruitt54

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey Andre,

I really enjoy the SimShaker in DCS with my bass shaker setup, but I have a small problem:

For the A-10C when I squeeze off a series of long continuous bursts from the main gun, the shaking stops part way thru, even if I am still firing. Or sometimes it won't start again for the second burst. Seems worse at high volume, but will still happen even at low. Any ideas?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My Setup: Vive Pro 2, RTX 3090, I7-11700K, VKB Gladiator II/K conversion, TWCS, TPR pedals, PlaySeat, SimShaker, VoiceAttack

No freezing of either SSSM nor DCS etc. It doesn't seem to affect any other effects AFAIK. I can also reproduce the issue within the test button sometimes. Sometimes it almost seems like it launches the effect but runs out of energy. I can often feel a few weak clicks (echos?) several seconds later after it fails.

My shaker works perfectly with my PC sounds coming via "Stereo Mixer" in Windows. And the issue persists even if I mute those.

One other other thing: I am using the sub output of my 2.1 amp. Should I try the L/R outputs instead? Actually, I do have a second shaker (backup/not installed) so I could use both I guess.

EDIT: Yes, it does also affect some other effects - just found.

Edited by Darrylx444

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My Setup: Vive Pro 2, RTX 3090, I7-11700K, VKB Gladiator II/K conversion, TWCS, TPR pedals, PlaySeat, SimShaker, VoiceAttack

I can sort of prevent it by increasing the "limiting compressor" setting to maximum (1.5). But then I get an unimpressive shake when I fire, being much less than I can get from just my game sounds if I turn them way up.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

As a workaround to my weak/inconsistent gun effects, I have been experimenting with replacement .wav files for those sounds today.

First I went to this site to find out what frequency gives the most shake for my hardware via PC sound:

Turns out it is about 35 Hz for me. NOTE: it changed a bit lower when I remounted my shaker using different standoffs.

So next I went to this site to create a 35 Hz .wav file: http://onlinetonegenerator.com/

Then, I edited that .wav file in Vegas (or whatever) in order to increase the amplitude/volume, although as it turns out that may have been overkill.

Swapping the new .wav file for the originall A-10C file (as listed in the test section), now I am getting some serious BRRRRRT. AND it never cuts out prematurely like it used to do.

Until I run out of ammo, LOL :-)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

It really makes a HUGE difference, although now I want to do it to all the other sound effects too ;-)

What I THINK is happening is that some of the original effects are just too weak for my particular hardware AT THE ORIGINAL FREQUENCY. So when I raise the volume (in software or windows) it gets a little stronger at first, until I reach some kind of physical limit for that particular frequency, and then it just cuts off to zero shaking if I raise the volume any higher. Changing the sound file frequency allows the volume (and shaking) to go much higher.

I wonder if it would be useful for other "bass shaker" people to determine their own strongest (aka natural) frequency? It would be interesting to know what results most people get, and with what hardware.

And then ideally if Andre (or somebody) could provide a complete downloadable folder of replacement sound files centered on each frequency (within reasonable limits according to the survey), so that everyone could optimize ALL their effects to match their exact hardware and mounting.

I still can't believe how strong my A-10C gun shake is now. Awesome!

Edited by Darrylx444

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

mibo, you shouldn't be actually "hearing" any of the Simshaker sound files in game. They are only for vibrating your transducer, so yes they would sound funny if played on your speakers. Make sure you select the correct sound card as the SS input. And that your game sounds are all you hear on your speakers/ headphones.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Andre, my SimShaker + SM updated automatically today. It works, but somehow reset all my effect settings for all my DCS modules to default 50% level and selected to enabled. Is this typical? As in, I will have to re-program ALL my settings each time there is an update? Not the end of the world of course, but I would prefer not to have to do all that each time. This is my first update.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Andre, my SimShaker + SM updated automatically today. It works, but somehow reset all my effect settings for all my DCS modules to default 50% level and selected to enabled. Is this typical? As in, I will have to re-program ALL my settings each time there is an update? Not the end of the world of course, but I would prefer not to have to do all that each time. This is my first update.

Usually not. Maybe a mistake on my side... It's usually a good practice to make a backup of your settings from time to time...

You might search for a file called "SettingsDatabase.bin" with the windows search. Maybe you can find/restore the settings...

any idea how i can fix this? , I pull g's...simshaker stops working. I am using the sound module to drive buttkickers, no jetseat, onboard audio is the soundcard.

Thx for the report, I'll have a look

First off, I want to say that I am really enjoying the immersion of a Sim Shaker set up. I added two Asura Bass Shakers to my cockpit and then bought the Sim Shaker Sound Module for output.

So far it has been pretty good. Two little issues I've had though:

As a workaround to my weak/inconsistent gun effects, I have been experimenting with replacement .wav files for those sounds today.

First I went to this site to find out what frequency gives the most shake for my hardware via PC sound:

Turns out it is about 35 Hz for me.

I had the same problem, looks like the ideal frequency for these particular shakers is about 38-42hz for maximum force. With the default 20hz peak output force tuned for the buttkicker line of shakers, I was getting pretty weak effects for many things, and some strangely aggressive effects for the few things tuned for that ~40hz sweet spot. I went though and edited many of the effects from 20hz to 40hz and have had much better results. I'd be willing to zip them up and share if anyone would like.

Also while experimenting with frequency shifting, I enable "verbose logging" in order to identify which effect was playing. Any time I had that feature enabled, after about 10 minutes DCS or SSM would get stuck in a loop and the last played effect continued indefinitely until SSM was force stopped though the task manager.