My A-10C preparation

rocketeer

• Replies 680
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just came back from a CNC class at Techshop across the bay. We learned how to operate the desktop router CNC. The brand of the CNC is called Techno. Discussed about software like Mach3, solidworks, Cut2D and Cut3D etc. Then we learned how to install the end mill, which was a two flute 1/4" shank. Then we each get to have hands on for one pattern, loading the file, doing zeroing, setting speeds etc. Kinda fun.

Sorry pictures taken with my iphone which has crappy camera.

IMG_1566.jpg?t=1261893885

IMG_1567.jpg?t=1261893959

The material used was blue foam.

I also talked to the instructor about cutting and engraving on acrylics.

please take a look here...

it has some 7" , 8" , 9" and 10" lcd monitor really nice and CHEAP

http://www.chinavasion.com/index.php/cName/home-audio-video-lcd-monitors-tv/

Ah...interesting. Back to ground zero. This company is headquartered in Shenzhen, China. and they've got distributors all over the world. I was able to find some manufacturers who produce nice 8" and 9" monitors. But I need to actually see the product to buy it, because some panels on such products have really limited viewing angle.

I've read from multiple sources that the A-10C MFD's are 5". I think the F-16's are 5.5", but I'm not certain of that, so that would suggest the thrustmaster MFD bezels are oversized by a little bit. I also wouldn't be surprised if they fit perfectly.

Since it's probably impossible to find a 1:1 display at a reasonable price, the best you can do is get a 4:3, so 5.4", 6 or 6.4 would probably do fine.

5 x 5 inch display area.

F/A-18 MFDs are also 5x5. I believe this to be pretty standard, though it wouldn't surprise me if the F-16's were smaller as it has such a tiny cockpit.

If any one wants the bezel I used for my F/A-18 cockpit, feel free to PM me. They're 5in x 5in with 20 1/2in holes for the buttons.

Aero

EDIT: Or right here:

f18mfd.jpg

Edited by Aeroscout

DCS Wishlist: 1) FIX THE DAMN RIVERS!!! 2) Spherical or cylindrical panorama view projection. 3) Enhanced input options (action upon button release, etc). 4) Aircraft flight parameter dump upon exit (stick posn, attitude, rates, accel, control volume, control-surface positions, SAS bias, etc). 5) ADS-33 maneuver courses as static objects. 6) Exposed API or exports of trim position and stick force for custom controllers. 7) Select auto multiple audio devices

Looking at the left and right side panels, there'd be over a dozen rotary switches needed. After analyzing the angles, I conclude that most of them require the 45 degree rotary switch, while only a few will be 30 degrees.

Luckily Fry's sells the 30 degress rotary switch, and I bought a few to experiment. Although the package label says 4 position 30 degrees, I found that I can remove the locking ring and reset the number of positions to anything between 2 to 12 positions, of course at a fixed 30 degrees.

IMG_2117.jpg?t=1261969526

After removing the first two rings, there is a third ring with a leg set in one of the holes.

IMG_2118.jpg?t=1261969581

After prying this out with a small screwdriver, I tested putting it to the max, position 11. Considering the default position as position one, one turn points to position 2...11 turns point to position 12. And you are not restricted to even positions, you can set it to odd positions like 3 or 5 etc.

So essentially although it says 4 positions switch I can set it to any number of positions I want. I've ordered similar switches but for 45 degrees.

IMG_2121.jpg?t=1261969657

IMG_2124.jpg?t=1261970556

Note, before setting the number of positions with the locking ring, first rotate counter-clockwise all the way to the left. Then the number of positions will be set correctly.

Rocketeer great to see you around again and congrats on the new house. Look forward to sharing ideas with you and flying too. If you have a chance get on TS with Cat and I. I'm sure he'd like to hear about that CNC class as much as I would!

Hi Chris did you get to build your Black Shark pit? I suppose Cat is done with his BS pit.

Yeah I've been away for a year. It's good to be back, to prepare for my favourite plane the A-10.

Nope never really started on anything pit related but I have added new pc.s to my exsisting one but not much. I'm still aiming to build something though work and family have kept me away and now my wife and I have a baby on the way. Can't wait to see your build progress as the hog is my favorite too!

This is the way I mass paint in one go.

This one I used long screws stuck in a piece of foam.

I sprayed each side and then rotate around the four sides. then sprayed lightly on the top. This repeats a few times, sometimes with primer first.

When done, I sprayed two three coats of clear enamel for protection against finger prints and dust etc.

IMG_2101.jpg?t=1262166197

This one I used my wife's hair pins. Sshhhh!

Same routine. Primer, paint, clear enamel.

I try to stand at some distance and give several light coats at intervals than stand too close and spray too heavy. That'd end up dripping and the result is not as good.

IMG_2102.jpg?t=1262166251