OpenHornet F/A-18C 1:1 SimPit (WIP)

jrsteensen

Hey please can you advise what 7 segment and displays you chose, I am having difficulty trying to find a 5 digit one that fits the UFC which I think is about 40mm x 13mm.

All the fleabay items from china state is a .36inch dimension but I have no idea what dimension it relates to!

Shapeways is a good idea, I would be interested in say perhaps the warning indicator panels.

Also, sorry about the questions, what are you doing for your jettison buttons, the ones that are rotaries with a push button on top??

First objective is having our release package. We will look at shapeways down the line. The panels aren't really designed for 3d Printing. Those will generally be milled on the CNC Router out of acrylic.

I want to test the displays before I release the PNs for the UFC. Its a pretty (really really!) complex PCB controlling those.

Please see attached screen grabs of the select jettison knob, should give you a pretty good idea of what we are planning to do there. (It's fairly complicated. And look! Replica mag switches too.)

SEL_JETT_CUTAWAY_1_20180323.PNG.92b7d971cf8f209b4d04c67635a84dc5.PNG SEL_JETT_CUTAWAY_2_20180323.thumb.PNG.caf50a1576d8f80a742736c369e87252.PNG SEL_JETT_CUTAWAY_3_20180323.thumb.PNG.6cb82d6ad9f48f2eff7e104fdc96cfd3.PNG

Ganeshka,

No. There is no built in keymatrix for the digital output pins. These boards are direct breakouts of the I/O pins of the Arduino, with the exception of adding a RS485 bus, standardized power connections, and the ability to swap three of the PWM digital pins to 12V output (to drive LED strings and solenoids.)

The intent is to have a single one of these boards per panel, and are especially cost effective for doing so. They can be built out for about $5.25 for the nano boards, and about $15 for the Mega boards. Obviously, this price can be lowered significantly by buying components in bulk.

Robump,

Thanks! We are almost halfway done with the concept model, and it's nice to start looking towards the light at the end of the tunnel, and starting to see stuff moving towards building the first prototype.

Edited by jrsteensen

Just wanted to give a little status update:

• I've integrated the newest reference model with all ribs, canopy sills, and canopy bow reference.
  • Completed the L console panels, with the exception of the connector panel. Still deciding what connectors to place there - I have a small powered 4 port USB hub, what else would be useful?
  • I'm going to reevaluate the gauge options based on the Simco Micro Air Core and X27/X40 options. Not sure how to do concentric gauges with the MAC however, or where to reliably source the X40 steppers. Both major influences on which route I decide to take.
  • Finished building my bench power supply. I'll be soldering up the first ABSIS Nano in the coming week.

•  
  • Completed the L console panels, with the exception of the connector panel. Still deciding what connectors to place there - I have a small powered 4 port USB hub, what else would be useful?

Not sure exactly which panel that is, but here goes a couple ideas:

HDMI+USB3 for VR HMD.

3.5mm mic/headphone jacks for headset.

Not sure exactly which panel that is, but here goes a couple idea:

HDMI+USB3 for VR HMD.

3.5mm mic/headphone jacks for headset.

The one all the hoses hook into - inboard of the OBOGS panel.

The Hub is USB3, but I'll look into the video connectors. I didn't realize people still used audio jack headsets.

Do I need to include just HDMI, or Mini Display Port as well?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

The one all the hoses hook into - inboard of the OBOGS panel.

The Hub is USB3, but I'll look into the video connectors. I didn't realize people still used audio jack headsets.

Do I need to include just HDMI, or Mini Display Port as well?

It looks like the HTC Vive Pro might use Displayport 1.2 as well as a USB3.1 (type C).

As I understand, the Vive comes with a "link box", so it might make sense to just integrate that into the panel instead.

I'm not sure, I myself have a Rift which uses HDMI+USB3.0.

It is a bit finicky about using hubs, USB expansion cards and extenders.

The upcoming "Windows mixed reality" headsets appear to use the same connectors judging from concept images.

For any other upcoming headseats your guess is as good as mine.

Perhaps make the panel modular or with several options to choose from according to the needs and tastes of the specific user?

If you are using a VR HMD for instance, you'd use its in-built audio and then only need a mic port, not headphones.

Just wanted to give a little status update:

• I've integrated the newest reference model with all ribs, canopy sills, and canopy bow reference.
  • I'm going to reevaluate the gauge options based on the Simco Micro Air Core and X27/X40 options. Not sure how to do concentric gauges with the MAC however, or where to reliably source the X40 steppers. Both major influences on which route I decide to take.
  • Finished building my bench power supply. I'll be soldering up the first ABSIS Nano in the coming week.

Here's a source for concentric steppers, recently ordered and received goodies without any issues.

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/1046577?

Cheers

Peter

Aniron,

I'll add the HDMI connector to where the oxygen hookup would go on the OBOGS panel. The company that makes the bulkhead connector also sells a DisplayPort connector in the same formfactor, so the user can choose to swap. I'll leave the HUB as is, but its a small panel. If someone can build this whole pit, they can adjust for whatever connectors they need. (For example, I'll be adding a connector for my HGU-68 helmet comms.)

Mr_Burns,

Good catch! I caught it a while back and fixed it in the model, but wasn't worth the extra hour of rendering to fix. :D

bnepethomas,

Thanks for the link! I was having a hard time finding the X40 there though. (It may be because I was mobile at the time. I'll have to look better when I get to a PC.

billybezeau,

We are speccing the Prusa i3 MK3 as the minimum requirements for the project.

https://shop.prusa3d.com/en/3d-printers/180-original-prusa-i3-mk3-kit.html

Thanks for all your input everyone, and always happy to hear peoples ideas!

Been watching the intro to the cockpit on YouTube.

Looks like there are a lot of knobs with brightness control, just wondering if you are planning to back-light the panels?

BLUF: Not in the initial version.

We are catering this to a lower end home shop. To that end, backlighting panels is an order of magnitude more complicated than non-backlit panels.

That said, the electronics interface system we are designing (ABSIS) natively supports up to 3x 12v PWM lines for future backlighting expansion.

BLUF: Not in the initial version.

We are catering this to a lower end home shop. To that end, backlighting panels is an order of magnitude more complicated than non-backlit panels.

That said, the electronics interface system we are designing (ABSIS) natively supports up to 3x 12v PWM lines for future backlighting expansion.

Completely understand. I'm guessing the panels are designed to be machined on a CNC router/mill using an end mill and then an engraving bit.

Completely understand. I'm guessing the panels are designed to be machined on a CNC router/mill using an end mill and then an engraving bit.
Precisely. The typical panel stack up will be a .125 acrylic backplate (as opposed to a .063 aluminum - again, aiming this towards lower end hobby CNC routers, but if you want to do it out of aluminum, feel free.) Then, we will have .1875 acrylic lightplate, bonded to .063 white on black engravable plastic.

Precisely. The typical panel stack up will be a .125 acrylic backplate (as opposed to a .063 aluminum - again, aiming this towards lower end hobby CNC routers, but if you want to do it out of aluminum, feel free.) Then, we will have .1875 acrylic lightplate, bonded to .063 white on black engravable plastic.

Interesting. So are you planning on releasing the single .125 acrylic backplate first and then develop a back lit version to release later?

Let me know if you would like any help with it.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everybody. Is there any news on the progress of the project? Since we have not heard anything here and on your homepage for a long time?

Homecockpit F/A 18C MK4 von Dogfight Boss | i7-8700k | Asus Rog Strix Z370-F | ASUS GEFORCE® GTX 1080 ROG STRIX | 16 GB RAM 2666 | 500 GB Samsung EU 860 EVO SSD | Corsair Hydro H100i V2 | TM Warthog |3 * TM MFD‘s | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals

Another little update - I've been on 5 business trips on the past month. Things have been nutty.

• Haven't gotten to solder up the ABSIS board yet.
  • I have finished modelling the AMPCD and the Nuclear Weapons Enable Switch.
  • Integrated the newest reference model into the design.
  • Our electrical team is planning to do a sprint on the custom PCBs over the next couple weeks as well.

Another little update - I've been on 5 business trips on the past month. Things have been nutty.

• Haven't gotten to solder up the ABSIS board yet.
  • I have finished modelling the AMPCD and the Nuclear Weapons Enable Switch.
  • Integrated the newest reference model into the design.
  • Our electrical team is planning to do a sprint on the custom PCBs over the next couple weeks as well.

Thanks for the update.

Sounds like the electronics are moving forward.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Slowly progressing - everyone has had real life catch up to them in a big way these past few months. Throttle grips are in progress, and some redesign to the throttle arms will be required.

We will be releasing this as a whole. Some errors in the design are expected, and won't be caught until all mating parts/structure are designed. Would hate to release parts piecemeal that don't actually end up working in the end product.