Spitfire IX Boost Operation

dburne

Hey guys,

So what is the best way to work with the boost for this Spitfire? I have boost toggle assigned to a button on my Warthog throttle, but seems like it really does not make a difference as I seem to have full boost either way?

Is it best to just leave the boost control alone during combat and it is being handled automatically?

I know I know I should read up more, little lazy this morning lol. How are you guys dealing with boost?

I am so enjoying 2.5 in VR over Normandy, it is so gorgeous. I took a break for a while from DCS awaiting the great merge, now that I have it want to really get back into some SP Spit action once again. Unfortunately I seem to have gotten rusty for smooth takeoffs and landings in this plane, got to get those under control again as well.

Edit: I think I used the wrong nomenclature with boost, I am speaking of Supercharger settings...

Edited by dburne

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

When aloft in the Spit I reduce my RPMs to 2500 to 2800 with a button on the throttle and then control my boost with throttle movement. Set my speed with the throttle to a reasonable amount keeping boost as low as possible and and making sure the temps stay in range . If I don't set up like this, then my engine conks out in short order. I may be in error but I have never controlled or set boost separately, but it sounds like you can reduce the throttle setting and then set boost separately and it it would act like a cruise control on a car. You could then increase boost above the selected level with the trottle.

However when in combat or landing I set my RPMS to 3100, control my speed with the throttle/boost and watch the temps.

Hope this is what you're looking for and very interested in how boost is handled by other pilots.

Edited by fiddlinjim

after you press the button you have to have enough range in your throttle axis to move it further forward

Ah ok, that may be it then will give it a shot thanks.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

When aloft in the Spit I reduce my RPMs to 2500 to 2800 with a button on the throttle and then control my boost with throttle movement. Set my speed with the throttle to a reasonable amount keeping boost as low as possible and and making sure the temps stay in range .

Thanks for the feedback however I used incorrect terminology, my bad - I was trying to refer to use of the supercharger.

Don B

Supercharger 2nd speed is dependent of altitude, is not for create additional power in the sense of Boost or WEP, but for compensate the reduced density of air at high altitude, trying keep the power of ground level.

In auto mode supercharger switch for 2nd gear at 14.000 feet and back to 1st gear when descend past 12.500 feet.

For economical flight at high altitude can be switched manually for 1st gear past 14.500 feet.

Supercharger 2nd speed is dependent of altitude, is not for create additional power in the sense of Boost or WEP, but for compensate the reduced density of air at high altitude, trying keep the power of ground level.

In auto mode supercharger switch for 2nd gear at 14.000 feet and back to 1st gear when descend past 12.500 feet.

For economical flight at high altitude can be switched manually for 1st gear past 14.500 feet.

Ok thanks for the info.

So is Supercharger in auto mode by default? If so does toggling Supercharger then just change it to manual then?

Don B

If you do not touch it, it will work automatically and that is normal procedure, they are switched by automatic.

You can permanently switch to M.S. gear (first gear) in case of any trouble with superchager automatic (no trouble with it in DCS, it means in R/L) by switch near yellow supercharger light on front dashboard.

Or, you can check proper function of F.S. gear (second gear when yellow light is ON), by button on L/H side in cockpit, button under cover, it is here only for ground test before take-off.

M.S. means middle supercharger

F.S. means full supercharger

F-15E | F-14A/B

P-51D | P-47D | Mosquito FB Mk VI |Spitfire | Fw 190D | Fw 190A | Bf 109K |  WWII Assets Pack

Normandy 2 | The Channel | Sinai | Syria | PG | NTTR | South Atlantic 

F/A-18 | F-86 | F-16C | A-10C | FC-3 | CA | SC |

Much thanks for the info guys, I understand now!

I think for me, will just leave it on auto then.

Don B

I was wondering why my Spit switches gears above some altitudes :D

Gigabyte Z390 Gaming X | i7 9700K@5.0GHz | Gainward Phantom GS RTX 3080 | 32GB DDR4@3200MHz | HP Reverb | TrackIR 5 | TM Warthog HOTAS | MFG Croswinds | DCS PD 1.0 / Steam VR SS 170%

• 4 months later...

Yesterday as I was descending from 20,000 ft. gently, I turned the Supercharger to M.S just to save wear and tear, heat and perhaps some fuel. Without being part of the flight model, I doubt it makes a difference. The auto goes to high in that mission at 16,500 feet.

One has to be aware of the fact that it will kick in at some point and if your throttle is pinned wide open which will only give around 8 boost psi as itr nears the auto-kick-in-altitude. before the supercharger switches to high gear. It can send it through the roof when it kicks in and damage the engine.

This really becomes important when you are in and out of the altitude range where this happens. It will switch back and forth often.

From 10,000 ft and up, constant monitoring and adjustment of boost is critical.

One thing I do is as I climb and adjust boost as I go, when I get to the point that further forward motion of the throttle is ineffective, I move my throttle back to the point where it has an effect. I.E. If max boost at that altitude is 8.1, I'll just nudge it back to 8 rather than keep pushing it forward to full. That way when second gear kicks in, it is a bit less brutal going to maybe 12psi boost instead of off the charts.

In a dog fight between 15,000 and 20,000 feet, the boost can turn on you if you don't keep an eye on it.

Now if I could only find a way to change the default F1 view (With a track ir) so I could move back enough to see the boost, temp and pressure gauges. (I move it by using zoom at present which is not optimal.

One could always switch to low gear 500 feet or so below the tipping point where the boost goes to high and climb through 16,500 or 17,000 (whatever the tipping point is for the weather which can change the altitude the auto switches it at). Then one could throttle back a bit, put it back into auto and get your boost back without rattling the engine parts.

The bottom line is my supercharger control is on a switch and I use it a fair bit even if the results only exist in my imagination at present.

I Love the Spitfire for all the manual controls.

>>>>I can't wait to see the Mixture lever working as it should too. <<<<hint hint

I enjoy setting up the enemy on the other side of mountains.

Bring on that fuel tank. My wingman does not manage his fuel well nor do the other 2 AI aircraft in my flight.

Edited by DeepDrummer
spelling

Win 10 pro 64 bit. Intel i7 4790 4 Ghz running at 4.6. Asus z97 pro wifi main board, 32 gig 2400 ddr3 gold ram, 50 inch 4K UHD and HDR TV for monitor. H80 cpu cooler. 8 other cooling fans in full tower server case. Soundblaster ZX sound card. EVGA 1080 TI FTW3. TM Hotas Wartog. TM T.16000M MFG Crosswinds Pedals. Trackir 5.

"Everyone should fly a Spitfire at least once" John S. Blyth