"Dumb" Fire SAMs

Breezy

So I'm sure that ya'll know a common action SAM operators would take is to momentarily switch on their radars, find a target, launch their missile(s) then switch back off for fear of an anti radiation missile coming their way. This could lead to many missiles just going "dumb" and flying up high to explode at some point. It could also make it hard for SEAD aircraft to locate any SAM sites.

I'd like to simulate this in the mission editor somehow. I've done it in a basic sense, but am wondering if there is a more efficient way.

So far, I've been able to do it by placing a small trigger zone around the SAM, then using the "missile in zone" trigger to turn the units AI off after a certain amount of time. I can also use another zone to turn the SAM AI on again if an enemy airplane is in range. This provides a pop-up threat with an immediate launch that's not very threatening.

I suppose if I randomize the time the SAM AI is active, you could have good chances of the missiles either going dumb or homing all the way in.

Anyway, this is what I've been able to do so far. Maybe there is a script out there at can simplify this? Or maybe there is a more efficient way to use triggers? Either way I think it could be beneficial for at least 2 reasons:

1) SAMs shooting up and exploding harmlessly around your aircraft provides a great atmosphere of danger without actually jeopardizing the player.

2) This could make a Wild Weasel mission more challenging, as you must deal with the site after they turn their "radar" off.

Thoughts?

This is what your looking for

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=118175&highlight=Radar+Script

http://wiki.hoggit.us/view/IADScript_Documentation

This script makes sams more (inteligent) your able to turn off radar and the wey they search engage enemies.

This is an old Script and im not sure if still works on todays version.

The use of zones to activate deactivate AI seems great and straight forward, but time consuming.

A.K.A. Timon -117th- in game

On again off again working on an update. Especially now that more SEAD capable aircraft on the near horizon.

The right man in the wrong place makes all the difference in the world.

Current Projects:  Grayflag ServerScripting Wiki

Useful Links: Mission Scripting Tools MIST-(GitHub) MIST-(Thread)

SLMOD, Wiki wishlist, Mission Editing Wiki!, Mission Building Forum