Bombing and Gunnery Competition - Nov 2015

Bunyap

Welcome to an impromptu bombing and gunnery competition!

Bombing Competition

Winner: PitbullViscous - 4 feet

Second: Frisco1522 - 5 feet

Third: 408 X-Ray - 10 feet

Aerial Gunnery Competition

Winner: 104th Stuge - 144 hits

Second: MidKnight - 128 hits

Third: Mbot - 112 hits

Team Competition

Winner: 476 vFG (Stuka, Recon Stewart, Howie, Kimi) - 22 feet

Competition Overview:

How to compete:

1. Download and fly one or both of the missions attached at the bottom of this post while following the rules below.

2. Submit a Tacview acmi file for scoring by attaching it to a reply to this thread, by providing a download link, or by e-mailing it directly to bunyapsims(at)gmail.com. (It should have saved automatically to your documents/Tacview folder if you have Tacview installed.)

http://tacview.strasoftware.com/product/about/en/

3. Optionally, pilots without Tacview may save the .trk replay file by selecting SAVE TRACK from the debrief screen at the end of the mission. Submit the .trk as described above and I will score it using Tacview.

4. Be sure to include the name you wish to go by with the submission.

Note: Someone is bound to point out that .trk replays are prone to losing sync and do not always represent precisely what happened while flying the mission in real-time. I made several test runs of the bombing mission and found that the difference in impact points between live and replay was never more than 1-2 feet for the type of releases we are performing. Dispersion of that size averaged over three releases is smaller than our ability to measure anyway and should not be a factor. If you still have any doubt, feel free to include your own tacview acmi and I will use it for scoring.

The submission deadline is 30 Nov 2015 at 2359 EDT. Practice as many times as you would like but you may make only one submission for each category. Feel free to talk about your performance and show your own attacks but remember, displaying your own total score guarantees somebody else will work hard enough to beat it and is not in your own best interest!

Individual Category Rules:

Bombing Competition:

3WHqxrj.jpg

Available Aircraft: A-10A, A-10C, Su-25, Su-25T, MiG-29S, Su-27

The bombing competition consists of three individual CCIP deliveries on the target. The target aim point is the center of the tank and not the smoke marker. A minimum pull-out altitude of 4,000 feet (1,219 m) ABOVE GROUND LEVEL is in effect. Pilots are responsible for ensuring the dive angle and release altitude they choose allows them to pull out of any dive before exceeding the limit. The target is at an elevation of 925 feet (282 m) so take this into account when planning your attack. Flying below 4,000 ft AGL during any weapons delivery pass will result in no score for that pass; however, pilots may make low passes over the target for BDA, photo-ops, etc, at any other time without penalty.

ulYppWT.jpg

Requirements:

Number of Releases: 3

Weapon Type: GP Bomb

HUD Mode: CCIP

Release Mode: Single

Minimum Pull-out Altitude: 4,000 feet (1,219 m) AGL

Airspeed: Any

Dive Angle: Any

Aerial Gunnery Competition:

Ukz4d34.jpg

Available aircraft: F-15C, MiG-29A, Su-27, MiG-21, F-86F, MiG-15

The gunnery competition consists of three individual guns passes on the target. (For the purposes of this competition, a ‘pass’ is defined as closing on the target from outside effective guns range, firing from a distance of not less than 1,000 feet, and returning to a position outside effective guns range.) A total of 150 rounds are loaded per aircraft and rounds must be expended on all three passes. Pilots are responsible for managing the number of rounds fired per pass to ensure this requirement is met. In the event rounds are remaining after the third pass, no further hits will be scored. A minimum range to target of 1,000 ft (305 m) must be maintained when firing. Consult your aircraft manual for gunsight range cues and if in doubt, fire from long range.

Requirements:

Number of Passes: 3

(Note: Rounds of some amount must be expended on all three passes.)

Rounds: 150

(Note: The MiG-15 requires firing of both the 23mm and 37mm guns to achieve the 150 rd total.)

HUD/Radar Mode: Any

Minimum Range: 1,000 feet (305 m)

Airspeed: Any

Angle: Any

Time Limit: None

Squadron Competition Rules:

Squadron members wishing to compete as a team in one or both competitions may do so by including their squadron affiliation with each individual submission. A minimum of three submissions are required from each squadron for that squadron to qualify. The top three individual scores from each squadron will be combined to determine the total team score. Pilots competing as part of a squadron are also eligible to compete as individuals and need only make one submission.

Feel free to modify the missions in any way if you would like to fly them in a multiplayer setting so long as the changes do not affect competition conditions.

Scoring:

Bombing: The bomb impacts will be measured in Tacview from the point the bomb contacts the ground to the 0,0,0 point on the target model, the middle of the tank chassis at ground level. Any bomb physically contacting the tank will be scored as either 10’ or the actual impact distance from the 0,0,0 point, whichever is lower. The distance from the target in feet for all three releases will be averaged to determine the player’s total score.

Aerial Gunnery: The number of hits to the target aircraft out of the 150 rounds will be the player’s score. Some aircraft do not have exactly 150 rounds due to quantity being set by a percentage in the mission editor. In the unlikely event this becomes a factor the winner will be determined mathematically.

Prizes:

The winner of both the bombing and gunnery competition will receive the DCS module of their choice. Full results will be released once all entries are scored.

Helpful Videos:

Current Submissions:

These are the current competitors whose results have been scored. If you have submitted a file and do not see your name here within 24 hrs let me know.

Bombing Competition:

Hobbnob

Howie (476th)

Stuka (476th)

Teh Colonel

S3N7RY

Arclight

PitbullVicious

=OPS=Slider1709

408 X Ray

Frisco1522

Cibit

StealthGunner385

Kimi (476th)

ScAvenger001

MidKnight

ReconStewart (476th)

Assassinator

Fracture

Aerial Gunnery Competition:

Teh Colonel

=OPS=Slider1709

Stuge

Mbot

Fracture

Banjo

MidKnight

MiRage (76.IAP)

ReconStewart (476th)

I tested each mission extensively but it is possible something slipped through the cracks. Let me know if you suspect something is not working as intended. The missions were built using DCS: World version 1.5 and I would be shocked if they work with version 1.2.16. Folks not using the 1.5 open beta who still wish to compete in the bombing completion may use the original Gunsmoke missions available here: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=144821

Mission Files:

(Place in your C:UsersXXXXXSaved GamesDCS.openbetaMissions folder. They will be visible in-game at Missions ---> My Missions)

TS_Gunnery.miz

TS_Bombing.miz

Results Nov 2015.zip

Edited by Bunyap
  • Like 1

Probably bombing targets the will be "indestructible"

Edited by JANGO70

Asrock Z77 Extreme6

Intel Core I7-3770K 3.5Ghz

G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866 PC3-14900 16GB 4x4GB CL9 Asus GTX 970 Strix 4GB GDDR5

AeroCool Templarius Imperator 750W 80 Plus SilverSeagate Barracuda 7200.14 2TB SATA3 64MBCooler Master Hyper 212 EVO

NOX Coolbay SX Devil USB 3.0

Cool! Here's my (Hobbnob) entry into the bombing competition. I must apologise for the length, I had a catastrophic failure after first release and had to restart/realign midflight :)

The Entry

Unfortunately it's also a track file, tacview works fine for 1.2 but doesn't record anything from 1.5 for some reason

Cool! Here's my (Hobbnob) entry into the bombing competition. I must apologise for the length, I had a catastrophic failure after first release and had to restart/realign midflight :)

That was fun to watch! I would have gone to great lengths to make that first bomb count too. :)

Clarification: I think I said 'Sunday' in the video but the event actually runs through Monday the 30th. Also, the targets should be indestructible and non-responsive. If anybody finds that not to be the case let me know. :)

Hi, Bunyap, your bombing track may need a small correction. The Su-25 (standard, non-T) has no bomb payload whatsoever - are we to assume a load of four FAB-250s?

Edited by Stealth_HR

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Real men fly ground attack :pilotfly: where EVERYTHING wants a piece of you :D

Stuge, it is done in Tacview something like this:

A5PQorx.png

Frisco, it is only based on category and does not take aircraft into account.

Stealth, good catch! A mission with the correction is now attached but just load up four FAB-250s if you do not want to download it again. :)

Thanks Cibit!

Here's my entry for the gunnery competition(104th_Stuge):

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/dbt5izwzgshnh17/AABIYwkarZ1ShjL-fiXZVeyfa?dl=0

I was planning to go for perfect score, but don't feel like spending hours anymore, this will have to do. Anyway, if someone can beat this, they surely deserve the module ;)

Note that my name in the tacview file is just "new callsign" because I forgot to change it in game.

Also note that my last burst cuts it very close to the distance limit. But if you look carefully you'll see that the last round leaves the cannon at exactly 1004 ft distance from the target :D

Here's my entry for the gunnery competition(104th_Stuge):

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/dbt5izwzgshnh17/AABIYwkarZ1ShjL-fiXZVeyfa?dl=0

I was planning to go for perfect score, but don't feel like spending hours anymore, this will have to do. Anyway, if someone can beat this, they surely deserve the module ;)

Note that my name in the tacview file is just "new callsign" because I forgot to change it in game.

Also note that my last burst cuts it very close to the distance limit. But if you look carefully you'll see that the last round leaves the cannon at exactly 1004 ft distance from the target :D

Wow... I had been trying to do this with the Sabre and the best I ran was 130/150 and that was pretty difficulty. You've opened my eye's to just how crazy straight the 27 fires. I may take a shot at this tonight and see what happens :)

Nice job for real though.

Here's also my submission (submitted to Bunyap earlier via email), in case anyone's interested or has comments. Both .acmi and .trk files included.

And indeed, thanks to Bunyap for organizing this.

- PitbullVicious

Bunyap_competition_submission.zip

Edited by PitbullVicious

i9-9900K @ 5.1GHz | MSI Ventus 3X OC RTX3090 24GB | 64GB 3200MHz DDR4 | Asus ROG Strix Z390-E | Asus Xonar DGX 5.1 Sound Card | Virpil T50CM2 base w/ F/A-18C / A-10C / Virpil T50CM2 Grip | WinWing Super Taurus Throttle | MFG pedals | TekCreations Hornet UFC, Landing Panel, Right Console | WinWing Hornet Combat Ready Panel | Buddy Fox UFC | Foxx Mount | 3 x TM Cougar MFD | HP Reverb G2 | Wacom Intuos S (with VRK) | Honeycomb Alpha Yoke | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | CH Fighter Stick Pro & Throttle | MS Sidewinder 2 FFB | Track IR 5 | Oculus Rift CV1

善く戦う者は、まず勝つべからざるを為して、以て敵の勝つべきを待つ。