dual throttle controls...to lock or unlock?

I have never locked mine once.

You need to be able to move them independently, otherwise how do you do startup/shutdown properly for starters?

Intel i7 13700K @ 5.3 GHz / ASUS TUF Gaming Z490-Plus / 64 Gb G.Skill DDR4-3600 / RTX 4090 / 2TB Kingston KC3000 NVME / Win 10 x64 Pro / Pimax Crystal / WINWING F/A-18 HOTAS

A-10C, AJS-37, AV-8B, F-4E, F-5E, F-14, F-15E, F-16, F/A-18C, F-86F, FC3, Christen Eagle 2, FW190D-9, Mosquito, P-47D, P-51D, Spitfire, AH-64D, KA-50, UH-1H

Combined Arms, WWII Asset Pack, China Assets Pack, Super Carrier, Falklands Assets

Nevada, Normandy, Persian Gulf, The Channel, Syria, Mariana Islands, South Atlantic, Sinai

Never lock mine.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I lock my TH Warthog after start, can't bear the thought of having asynchronous throttles...even if it's only a few percent

Windows 10 64 bit | Intel i5-9600k OC 5 Ghz | RTX 2080 |VENGEANCE® LPX 32GB DDR 4 OC 3200

Hotas Warthog | Logitech G Flight Rudder Pedals | Track IR 4

I lock my TH Warthog after start, can't bear the thought of having asynchronous throttles...even if it's only a few percent

The same

Current specs: Windows 10 64bit, i7-7700K @ 4.8 Ghz, 32 GB RAM, 1 To SSD, RTX2070-Super, TrackIR 5, TM Warthog, TM T.Flight Rudder Pedals

Air start/engine failure, high winds on landing, plenty of reasons to require differential thrust. No reason to not keep them unlocked in a dual engine plane. The F-14 has an async thrust limiter built in anyway. Should be able to judge where both throttles are by looking at the fuel flow indicator, so it's not difficult to keep them in sync.

Thanks all for your input. When I had a single throttle HOTAS I always used a shortcut key to independently move right and left throttles to idle for the start-up, I didn't realize that with a dual throttle HOTAS you don't need shortcut keys to do that.

I've tried both ways, still find it a bit easier with them locked when flying. I didn't know to use them independently to adjust for cross wind landings, I thought crabbing was just flying the plane off center line as much as you needed to compensate.

I see the F-18 doesn't have them lockedsmile.gif

Thanks again!

I asked a former fighter pilot about this once- it never occurred to me that such a thing doesn't exist on real throttles.

I do lock them for helicopters and single engine aircraft, that way the other half of my throttle controls are still where I expect them to be.

I asked a former fighter pilot about this once- it never occurred to me that such a thing doesn't exist on real throttles.

I do lock them for helicopters and single engine aircraft, that way the other half of my throttle controls are still where I expect them to be.

"it never occurred to me that such a thing doesn't exist on real throttles." Are you referring to throttle lock?

You guys that are locking your throttles do realize that second throttle can be assigned to another axis right?

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

You guys that are locking your throttles do realize that second throttle can be assigned to another axis right?

I'm assuming you lock throttles and use mapping to single thrust leaving 1 lever available?

Can you please give an example of what you do.

Signle engine aircraft: locked

double engine aircraft: unlocked

This.

Twitch Channel

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Virtual Thunderbirds, LLC | Sponsored by Thrustmaster

Z390 Aorus Xtreme, i9 9900k, G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB, 1080ti 11GB, Obutto R3Volution, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, TPR, Cougar MFDs, FSSB R3L, JetSeat, Oculus Rift S, Buddy-Fox A-10C UFC, F/A-18C UFC, Tek Creations F-16 ICP

Sorry I don't follow you?

Look at what she quoted....

You would make a good P-3 Orion Flight Engineer - gotta get those engine powers balanced perfectly lol! Each finger has it's own power lever. Generally try to perfectly match all 4 TIT/HP's. Good example below of #1 & #4 having worse performance than #2 & #3.

Now we just need DCS to have varying engine performance so we can get some split-throttles happening ;)

maxresdefault.jpg

Edited by VampireNZ

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Look at what she quoted....

You would make a good P-3 Orion Flight Engineer - gotta get those engine powers balanced perfectly lol! Each finger has it's own power lever. Generally try to perfectly match all 4 TIT/HP's. Good example below of #1 & #4 having worse performance than #2 & #3.

Now we just need DCS to have varying engine performance so we can get some split-throttles happening ;)

I know you're supposed to lock single engine and keep dual engine unlocked, what my post was about was why some do and some don't. I've learned a few things with this post.

I was curious about what dburne was referring to when he wrote about using an extra axis.

You mentioned something interesting about the fact that some planes may have an imbalance in engine thrust that a functioning dual throttle would allow you to compensate for.

Also I will see if it helps with crabbing in crosswind landing as already mentioned here.

"it never occurred to me that such a thing doesn't exist on real throttles." Are you referring to throttle lock?

Yes. The guy I spoke to flew *a couple of twin engine fighters and never encountered anything that locks the throttle handles together. It's just something Thrustmaster added for user convenience.

Edited by Aries144
*well, more like two IIRC

Yes. The guy I spoke to flew *a couple of twin engine fighters and never encountered anything that locks the throttle handles together. It's just something Thrustmaster added for user convenience.

"For the sake of easy gameplay". :joystick: :D

Including in Saitek X-55/6 throttle are a internal switch that mix the two axes response in one when throttles are locked together.