What PC should I build? - Page 3 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 03-04-2019, 02:21 PM   #21
Der Hirte

Quote:
Originally Posted by BitMaster View Post
You need to calm down Der Hirte.
What this guy is doing is borderline trolling. I surely won't encourage stupid behaviour and clap him on the shoulder. Wait for the guys buying a HDD instead of a SSD because he is spreading the lie that it doesn't make any difference. These are the ones who crash into the mountains in low-level flight WVR or drive into your jet from behind on the taxiway because of their stutters. Or crash onto the deck of the carrier full of human pilots. No thanks.

Last edited by Der Hirte; 03-04-2019 at 03:20 PM.
Der Hirte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 07:38 PM   #22
BitMaster
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Hirte View Post
What this guy is doing is borderline trolling. I surely won't encourage stupid behaviour and clap him on the shoulder. Wait for the guys buying a HDD instead of a SSD because he is spreading the lie that it doesn't make any difference. These are the ones who crash into the mountains in low-level flight WVR or drive into your jet from behind on the taxiway because of their stutters. Or crash onto the deck of the carrier full of human pilots. No thanks.
There is some truth to that.

I give you another 5-10 years and by then you might have accepted some need to make their own failures, and some even then dont comply.

But hell yes, get off my tail if you suffer stutter

I am all for keeping them from buying the wrong stuff, hands down, I totally agree.

There are things one can argue about, 580 vs 1060 or AMD vs Intel, all valid, just the SSD question is not a question, it's actually the only one HAMMERED into stone. It could be that simple, sigh
Asus Strix Z370-E - Intel i7-8700K@5.2G_delidded - 32GB 3200/3600MHz - Asus 1080GTX-Ti Poseidon 2050/12006- 1x 960Evo 250GB - 2x 850Pro 256GB Raid-0 - 1 x 840 Evo 250GB PageFile - 2x Seagate 2TB - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@4x180mm fans - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" WQHD Gsync 144Hz@60Hz - Oculus Rift VR - Win10Pro64 - Slave to the Machine
BitMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 11:47 PM   #23
72westy

Quote:
Do I come off as someone misleading people on purpose on a flight simulator forum? I had both systems, with a HDD and a SSD. You can even understand it with just some common sense on how the parts interact with each other (including the software, in this case "DCS"). You can get disgusting stutters because you're using a HDD instead of a SSD. This is literally the third time that I alone are explaining this to you in last two weeks, Bitmaster did aswell. If you still gonna insist on your statement then go ahead and discredit yourself right away.

Explains why I haven't. Telling one something is in no way shape or form....make it credible. Again I'm not experiencing any micro stutters at all. None. DCS is on it's own drive on my system.
16GB G-Skill Trident X DDR3 CL7-8-8-24
Asus RX 570 OC Edition 4GB (Adrenalin 19.1.1)
Sound Blaster X-fi Xtreme Gamer
LG Blue Ray DL Burner
Hitachi SATA3 1TB 64mb cache
WD Black SATA3 1TB 64mb cache
WD Black SATA3 1TB 64mb cache
Antec 650w PSU
Rosewill Mid Challenger Black
24" Samsung LED Curved
Saitek X56 HOTAS
Thermaltake Tt esports Commander Gear Combo
72westy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 02:35 AM   #24
Demon_

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72westy View Post
Explains why I haven't. Telling one something is in no way shape or form....make it credible. Again I'm not experiencing any micro stutters at all. None. DCS is on it's own drive on my system.
Old 03-15-2019, 06:21 PM   #25
hansangb
Veteran

Quote:

They are not mutually exclusive. I never had micro stutters when i was using HDDs. Never. But it's also idiotic to tell *anyone* to buy traditional HDD these days. Not just DCS, but the prices have come down so much on SSDs.

It's one thing to keep using what you have, I have 8TB HDDs that I'm not just going to throw out, but I'll never put DCS on it. I'm looking for the *best* experience and SSD's ensure that I'll have that.

There was a time when SSH had a barrier to entry because of price and capacity. Those things are no long true.
Spoiler:
i7-8700K Delid/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, EVGA Z370 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, JetSeat, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, CV1
hansangb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 03:33 PM   #26
BitMaster
Veteran

GAWD, those SSHD's...oh man. had 2 of them in Raid-0 and guess what, well better not.

In less then 4 years both drives went dead. 8GB SSD + 500GB platters
Asus Strix Z370-E - Intel i7-8700K@5.2G_delidded - 32GB 3200/3600MHz - Asus 1080GTX-Ti Poseidon 2050/12006- 1x 960Evo 250GB - 2x 850Pro 256GB Raid-0 - 1 x 840 Evo 250GB PageFile - 2x Seagate 2TB - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@4x180mm fans - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" WQHD Gsync 144Hz@60Hz - Oculus Rift VR - Win10Pro64 - Slave to the Machine
Old 03-16-2019, 06:28 PM   #27
Der Hirte

Quote:
Originally Posted by hansangb View Post
I never had micro stutters when i was using HDDs. Never. But it's also idiotic to tell *anyone* to buy traditional HDD these days. Not just DCS, but the prices have come down so much on SSDs.
Because you had enough RAM and the system never had to actually use the HDD while in flight. If you would buy 16GB RAM today, a HDD, use high graphic settings and fly the multiplayer missions which are heavy on the system/have a lot of different units this time I can promise you you will get stutters at some point. Not so if you had 32GB RAM in the same situation. He hasn't had stutters because I'm wrong with what I said but because he never forced the system into a situation where a SSD is of advantage (in-flight). That's why initially I said you can get stutters and not will get stutters.

Quote:
Nice misinterpreting my posts, the best part is the "make it credible" as If I haven't already. Look up the definition of the words can and will have and you might - I hope - notice a difference. All go ahead and stop buy SSD for DCS and buy HDDs, hurry up, wanna see them "what should i upgrade?" threads. What are you waiting for guys? Sell your SSDs and buy HDDs right now because they're 30$ cheaper! It makes no difference trust me!

Last edited by Der Hirte; 03-18-2019 at 04:44 PM.
Der Hirte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 10:37 AM   #28
BitMaster
Veteran

I went back to my 386SX-20 with a 40MB Platter...and I am real happy
What can I say ?

What is a SSD btw ?
Old 03-18-2019, 03:14 AM   #29
hansangb
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BitMaster View Post
GAWD, those SSHD's...oh man. had 2 of them in Raid-0 and guess what, well better not.

In less then 4 years both drives went dead. 8GB SSD + 500GB platters

LOLOLOLOL. I mistyped SSD with SSHD (I'm used to typing ssh for work purposes). And there actually is such a thing as SSHD. I knew of the hybrid drives, but had no idea they were called SSHDs. LOL. I'm still laughing about it.

So, just to be clear, I meant that price is no long a barrier to entry for SSD's.
Spoiler:
i7-8700K Delid/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, EVGA Z370 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, JetSeat, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, CV1
Old 03-18-2019, 03:17 AM   #30
hansangb
Veteran

Quote:
Because you had enough RAM and the system never had to actually use the HDD while in flight. If you would buy 16GB RAM today, a HDD, use high graphic settings and fly the multiplayer missions which are heavy on the system/have a lot of different units this time I can promise you you will get stutters at some point. Not so if you had 32GB RAM in the same situation. He hasn't had stutters because I'm wrong with what I said but because he never forced to system into a situation where a SSD is of advantage (in-flight). That's why initially I said you can get stutters and not will get stutters.

Nice misinterpreting my posts, the best part is the "make it credible" as If I haven't already. Look up the definition of the words can and will have and you might - I hope - notice a difference. All go ahead and stop buy SSD for DCS and buy HDDs, hurry up, wanna see them "what should i upgrade?" threads. What are you waiting for guys? Sell your SSDs and buy HDDs right now because they're 30$ cheaper! It makes no difference trust me!

Multi-player is the key, I think. One of these days, I'll have to get some packet traces of online gaming. I do single player mission. And when I was using HD's (yuck....LOL) I had a 16GB of memory.

Again, there is a lot of mission dependency (i remember one particular AAA platform causing stuttersif it was in your mission).

But I agree that HD's should *not* be recommended anymore
Spoiler: