Black Shark 3? - Page 16 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 03-12-2019, 02:48 PM   #151
Fri13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looney View Post
The A/A and A/A HO switches work just fine with the Vihkrs on an aerial target.

No they don't.

The A-A mode is for re-programming the Vikhr to use its proximity fuze instead impact fuze and use a fragmentation sleeve detonation instead tandem-HEAT warhead.

The big difference is that with the A-A mode enabled, the Vikhr missile is programmed at the launch for the air target instead ground target. Benefits are that you do not require a direct impact but Vikhr proximity sensor triggers it at 5-7 meters from the target, making miss a far less likely, and fragmentation sleeve makes it far more dangerous as it has the expanding rods instead a shaped charge forward only. Meaning it will take down any aircraft or helicopter at 10-14 meter proximity.

The A-A HO (Air-to-Air Head On) switch is to change the Vikhr-M tracking system to be more accurate for fast mover and track them better and make the Vikhr fragmentation sleeve to explode prematurely the target that is flying head on. That so the missile doesn't miss the target by flying past it (or aircraft fly past the explosion). Using that mode simply explodes the Vikhr as soon as possible and this way a head-on flight will get a metal rods front of it and it flies straight in to them, suffering more damage that way.

Neither one has been simulated nor programmed to KA-50 or vikhr because fragmentation simulation has not existed.

The clever thing in Vikhr missile is that you have 2-3 different missiles combined in one, and pilot simply choose what mode he wants to use against the target. Example pilot can use the A-A and A-A HO mode against infantry on ground, by locking on the target at ground and firing at it. The missile will then explode in the air close to the soft targets and have the fragmentation mode do its destruction at area, instead straight a head.

Firing a Vikhr to building has its other advantage, you simply activate the A-A mode but you leave the Head-On disabled, that allows you to fire the Vikhr through a building wall where the fragmentation sleeve is blowed inside the building, instead the tandem warhead just blow straight ahead through the building, using only spalling as the inner damage.

So the pilot would choose which mode to use of the warhead, and which fuze use to blow the missile.

Now question for yourself, as the Su-25T should as well have the same capability, aircraft tracking and warhead programming, why you would need R-60M so much for self-defence when you could use stealthy Vikhr to down a near-by non-maneuvering aircraft from head-on or tail-chase?

What the Vikhr-M system offers in Su-25T and we are missing:
- Target gate memory (after gimbal limits, the Shkval is returned to the last targeted location, similar to ARBS in AV-8B harrier)

and in Su-25TM and we are currently lacking are:
- Automatic laser scanning and lock-on (second source laze the target and the Shkval finds the target and locks on it, helping you to guide missiles there)
- Automatic Shkval activation and locking on the target when reaching the target waypoint (to preprogrammed target locations. You enter example the target area coordinates and when approaching it, Shkval gets activated and pointed at the coordinates, this I have found some sources tell to be already in Su-25T and some doesn't define it is it only Su-25TM or T)
- Automatic target lock on the IR signature targets (a FLIR spotted targets in the area gets locked).
The Su-25TM got nice features that allowed to simply get a ground units laze moving target for you and you get it automatically scanned and locked and you needed to do was to launch Vikhr at it.

And last time I used the KA-50 (haven't fly it for a while as don't have pedals currently) the one last big updates was that cut the Vikhr range from 10km to 8km.

The Su-25T was a very interesting project, just like the KA-50, but IMHO both got prematurely cancelled.

Last edited by Fri13; 03-12-2019 at 03:06 PM.
Fri13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 03:00 PM   #152
Fri13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiramisu View Post
I do not understand the hysteria in here. ED has already made a free update for the MiG-29. So why shouldn't they make a free update for the Ka-50, too?
I am sorry to hear that some people had to buy the Ka-50 again to play it in DCS, but that was a different thing.
I think there is a merit for a free cockpit and system upgrade in KA-50. And why so?

The KA-50 has been how many years with the "not-implemented" features?

A 3D refreshment and retexturing is not a reason to request a payment. That is just a updating the module and get new customers buy updating module to current standards.

Implementing the missing features that were known to exist, yet not modeled, that is again reason not to need payment. Those were features the aircraft should already have. If there are switches in the cockpit but technology didn't allow things like proximity fuze and fragmentation explosion simulation, then those should be free when new technology allows to make them so.

But if it is anything new like KA-50Sh, then no question, full module price. But I would still take that 3D, textures and implementation of missing features to current one.

After all, they wouldn't stop selling the Black Shark 2 (that should be renamed just as Black Shark) as that is still getting customers, and more after update to new technology.
Old 03-12-2019, 09:47 PM   #153
Kang

...also if you happen to have to re-texture things because you decided to change around the engine effectively breaking it...
Kang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 07:04 AM   #154
NineLine
Community Manager

I am sure the cockpit and texturing would be free, but anything beyond that they have to weigh the development time like anything else.
ED Facebook PageED YouTube PageWags YouTubeMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine #0440
**How to Report a Bug**
NineLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 12:03 AM   #155
paddyman

I would love to see the old bird get a new lease of life. I'd be happy to pay full module price for an upgraded KA-50N.

Update the textures and keep our current Ka-50 exactly as she is. Even if i had a KA-50N i'd still like to come back to our current beloved just as she is. Sell both BS2 and BS3 seperately. No one is forced to buy the new module if they do not want it.
paddyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 02:14 PM   #156
pepin1234

The million question: the new version will be a standalone Ka-50, or a second version of the current Ka-50?
Old 03-15-2019, 06:02 PM   #157
flanker0ne

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepin1234 View Post
The million question: the new version will be a standalone Ka-50, or a second version of the current Ka-50?
Do you meant third
Old 03-15-2019, 06:22 PM   #158
pepin1234

Quote:
Originally Posted by flanker0ne View Post
Do you meant third

two versions at the same time to chose?? like L-39 and Gazelle?
Old 03-15-2019, 08:11 PM   #159
flanker0ne

I don't think is intention of ED, to produce a new version with different systems.
Just new 3D Cockpit.

We are lucky if some old bugs will be solved for the occasion.
Old 03-15-2019, 10:39 PM   #160
ekka

If they could just fix the ilumination of switches in the cockpit I'd be happy, I owned the original blackshark and when moving to the new version not being able to see at a glance if the A/P mode switches were engaged is a pain.
ekka is offline   Reply With Quote