AG radar, ATFLIR, IR renderer

ShalashakaDS

With the F-16 going into pre sale in the very near future and with a feature list very similar to the F/A-18 when announced, i would like to ask, how long untill we see anytihng about the AG radar or the ATFLIR and the new renderer that where mentioned way before the hornet went into pre sale?

With the F-16 going into pre sale in the very near future and with a feature list very similar to the F/A-18 when announced, i would like to ask, how long untill we see anytihng about the AG radar or the ATFLIR and the new renderer that where mentioned way before the hornet went into pre sale?

We're in the middle the 2nd phase of the Hornet's development which includes the ATFLIR while I believe the A-G radar function will come in the 3rd phase of development. No dates but hopefully they will have the new FLIR renderer sorted by the end of summer. I still expect to see ED push one of the A-G modes out by the end of the year such as SEA mode.

F/A-18C; A-10C; F-14B; Mirage 2000C; A-4E; F-16C; Flaming Cliffs 3

Everything will happen. The development team never let us down! But I have to admit that the complexity and time required for Bumblebee development are beyond my imagination. I will wait patiently for the completion and will not buy any EA products in the future.

Im sure they will, i still have not been disapointed by ED and im used to the wait by now, also very excited with some recent news, specially with the planned revamp to the air defense AI, its just that we are one year into the hornet life and not even a single new screenshot of the ATFLIR or the AG radar, was hoping they could maybe throw us a bone :D

Edited by ShalashakaDS

Im sure they will, i still have not been disapointed by ED and im used to the wait by now, also very excited with some recent news, specially with the planned revamp to the air defense AI, its just that we are one year into the hornet life and not even a single new screenshot of the ATFLIR or the AG radar, was hoping they could maybe throw us a bone :D

I'm very disappointed with the F-16 announcement, what with the current state of the F/A-18.

I won't be purchasing the F16 until I see the state of systems modelling.

BMS has a far more interesting simulation environment anyway so I'm probably going to stick to that until DCS has something more interesting to do than learn incomplete systems.

Just follow the weekend news and especially the Hornet Mini-Update posts that Wags provides. Whenever the team has confidence that an in-development feature is mature enough to be released within a month or two, that is usually announced in the Mini-Updates (see the words about JSOW and Litening TP in the last Mini-Update).

Anything which isn‘t explicitly mentioned to be in development at the time of the Mini-Updates (such as the A/G radar currently) is unlikely to be released soon.

Also, please let us refrain from again and again accusing ED of sacrificing Hornet Dev resources for the Viper. They explained to us more than once that this is not the case. Instead in the past year we mostly got smaller software updates with little fixes but very frequently (every 2 weeks, sometimes even faster). Now they are simply working on bigger items which take more time and which partly require fundamental parts of the core engine to be reworked (like the bespoke A/G radar and also IR render for ATFLIR and other IR sights).

And talking about a targeting pod: ED thankfully agreed to give us the Litening so we can have a TGP sooner than originally foreseen. Once we have the Litening in our Hornet implemented (end of next month), I strongly doubt there will be any „operational needs“ for the ATFLIR at all. The Litening has served me so well in all the years in the A-10C that I cannot imagine the ATFLIR will bring significant operational benefits.

Not saying that I don‘t want it, please don‘t get me wrong here. Just saying the Litening will already bring all the TGP functionality that I am personally missing currently. The „only“ reasons I still would want to have th ATFLIR after the Litening is a) it is the realistic pod for our Navy Hornet and b) because hey...it is a new gadget still! :)

Edited by Hog_No32

Just follow the weekend news and especially the Hornet Mini-Update posts that Wags provides. Whenever the team has confidence that an in-development feature is mature enough to be released within a month or two, that is usually announced in the Mini-Updates (see the words about JSOW and Litening TP in the last Mini-Update).

Anything which isn‘t explicitly mentioned to be in development at the time of the Mini-Updates (such as the A/G radar currently) is unlikely to be released soon.

Thank you for replying, but im aware of that, ive been checking these foruns everyday for the past 10 years at least :P

The thing is, the hornet is out for a while, and now they anounce the F-16 with a feature list very similar to the hornet, incuding A/G radar and now the Sniper XR pod... and still not a single pic to show of things that where announced a year ago for the hornet.

a) it is the realistic pod for our Navy Hornet and b) because hey...it is a new gadget still! :)

I agree with you in that i also dont think the ATFLIR will give us a fundamentaly different capability from the litening, but from some older newsletters i got the impression that the new IR renderer is linked to the ATFLIR development, and thats what im looking forward the most, a realistic IR picture, not the trees looking hotter than tank engines. I dont really care for a new 3d model and diferent interface.

DCS: F/A-18C Hornet

Work is mostly focused on the air-to-ground radar that is making good progress; the team is now starting to create the various sub-modes such as the expanded modes. We have included a couple of images that show samples of the new air-to-ground radar technology that is based on radar reflectivity logic.

From the newsletter April 2015: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=142734

I hope the sub-modes are already finished.

Also, please let us refrain from again and again accusing ED of sacrificing Hornet Dev resources for the Viper. They explained to us more than once that this is not the case. Instead in the past year we mostly got smaller software updates with little fixes but very frequently (every 2 weeks, sometimes even faster). Now they are simply working on bigger items which take more time and which partly require fundamental parts of the core engine to be reworked (like the bespoke A/G radar and also IR render for ATFLIR and other IR sights).

And talking about a targeting pod: ED thankfully agreed to give us the Litening so we can have a TGP sooner than originally foreseen. Once we have the Litening in our Hornet implemented (end of next month), I strongly doubt there will be any „operational needs“ for the ATFLIR at all. The Litening has served me so well in all the years in the A-10C that I cannot imagine the ATFLIR will bring significant operational benefits.

Not saying that I don‘t want it, please don‘t get me wrong here. Just saying the Litening will already bring all the TGP functionality that I am personally missing currently. The „only“ reasons I still would want to have th ATFLIR after the Litening is a) it is the realistic pod for our Navy Hornet and b) because hey...it is a new gadget still! :)

In full agreement! TGP has been used for many years. It's still very useful. In addition to the new infrared image, ATFLIR has been rumored to have a forward-looking infrared image for night navigation, a heat source tracking function, and the ability to optimize the Air-to-Ground radar image! It's really hard to believe. In fact, as long as the TGP is completed, even if ATFLIR stops developing. There is no loss to us. TGP is absolutely enough.

FLIR, AG radar and other technology has not exclusive of Hornet or other module, has baseline technologies on DCS and have work outside modules to implement them. Remember multiplayer cockpits, damage models and other features, steeps into DCS World developing.

About the F-16, ED team talk about in progress from October 2018.

My only gripe with the Litening pod is that it will take up the center store which I usually like to use for carrying a fuel tank when I'm just taking one. Means if I only need one tank of extra fuel, I'll have to stick to the inner wing store and probably use a bomb on the other for ballast. This is one of the nice things ATFLIR will have is being smaller and taking up the one fuselage station.

F/A-18C; A-10C; F-14B; Mirage 2000C; A-4E; F-16C; Flaming Cliffs 3

My only gripe with the Litening pod is that it will take up the center store which I usually like to use for carrying a fuel tank when I'm just taking one. Means if I only need one tank of extra fuel, I'll have to stick to the inner wing store and probably use a bomb on the other for ballast. This is one of the nice things ATFLIR will have is being smaller and taking up the one fuselage station.

Actually it will /can be mounted on a cheek mount replacing one of your Sparrow/AMRAAM's. You will still be able to carry a center mounted fuel tank.

Actually it will /can be mounted on a cheek mount replacing one of your Sparrow/AMRAAM's. You will still be able to carry a center mounted fuel tank.

The LIGHTENING pod is not carried operationally by the USMC on anything but the centerline station.

We expect to have the JSOW, BRU-55A/A, and MSI for LTWS available later this month, and the targeting pod will start internal testing later this month, with a planned release in June.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Primary Computer

ASUS Z390-P, i7-9700K CPU @ 5.0Ghz, 32GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 @ 3200Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce 1070 Ti AMP Extreme, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe drives (1Tb & 500 Gb), Windows 10 Professional, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Warthog Stick, Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle, Cougar MFDs x3, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals and TrackIR 5.

-={TAC}=-DCS Server

Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3, i7-3770K CPU @ 3.90GHz, 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 @ 1600Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 970.

FLIR, AG radar and other technology has not exclusive of Hornet or other module, has baseline technologies on DCS and have work outside modules to implement them. Remember multiplayer cockpits, damage models and other features, steeps into DCS World developing.

About the F-16, ED team talk about in progress from October 2018.

! ! Thanks Silver Dragon, I've been saying this for years! and always get told, that i am wrong...

Once DCS develops these systems we will start to see planes that use these systems.

The f-16 will just be the beginning. Please just be patient.

Intel i9-9900K 32GB DDR4, RTX 2080tiftw3, Windows 10, 1tb 970 M2, TM Warthog, 4k 144hz HDR g-sync.

Very valid point, I forgot about that one. I also use the center station for the usually only bag I carry in basically every mission. ATFLIR will definitely increase the flexibility in loadouts.

Thank you for replying, but im aware of that, ive been checking these foruns everyday for the past 10 years at least :P

Sorry then, I wasn‘t aware you are a daily reader;)

The thing is, the hornet is out for a while, and now they anounce the F-16 with a feature list very similar to the hornet, incuding A/G radar and now the Sniper XR pod... and still not a single pic to show of things that where announced a year ago for the hornet.

The fact that they talk about WHAT they WANT to do for the F-16C is no reason for concern in my opinion as it doesn‘t present any sort of impediment for the Hornet development.

I would only have been concerned if they would have attached a „when“ to the „what“ or would have shown screenshots of the Sniper XR work in progress.

Factually the only thing that has changed now is that the Viper is on pre-order. Nothing more. We knew there will be a DCS F-16C before and obviously it would come along with many nice and some new bells and whistles including some type of targeting pod.

Im sure that ED will bring to us AG radar for our Hornet later.

And Its planed for phase 2 in Viper also:

"Phase 2 Product Sustainment:

Multifunctional Information Distribution System (MIDS)

Link 16 Data Link

A/G radar modes

......."

..:NAVY PILOTS ARE THE THE BEST PILOTS:..