What is stopping the Spit coming out of beta?

After about 18 months, what is stopping the Spit coming out of beta? I don't mean ED's limited resources given all other distractions at the moment, I mean what work still has to be done?

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Were these all promised, or is that just a wishlist?

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Fuel tanks and bombs has into DCS as 3D models but not implemented into the simulator. A Spitfire IXc has into DCS but I think, coming only as a IA.

Thanks Silver_Dragon, however, I'm not sure what you are meaning by that statement. Would you please clarify?

From 1.5.8 new 3D models Drop tanks and bombs (2:00)

CJPLpUK5j9o

3D models has usually added into DCS on new versions, but some of them has not implemented to use in the mission editor. That 3D models normally wait to later "activation" waiting for features, added them to the DCS database or a module implementation or update.

Yes Alpha, that is what we have been led to believe.

No details but I would hazard a guess that it would probably take the form ofa tick box in the 'payload' or 'special' flyout tabs on the lower right of the ME, maybe similar to that which lets you select canvas covers on/of on the WW2 vehicles.

Though nothing has been said by ED I'm also hoping that maybe they'll include armamnet option for IXe variant (2x 20mm + 2x .50cal).

For clarification, can I just ask again, are you guys saying that external fuel tanks, bombs and wing options are promised features that are stopping the Spit coming out of beta?

External payload for sure, as the 3D models are already implemented in the game.

Clipped wing, though... Not sure. Last time they've been brought up for the umpteenth time around here, the explanations from the "powers that be" on this touchy subject were rather murky I recall.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

At first external Payload was not on the List at start was first coming up with pressure of the Community...

Spit with clipped Wings was announced back then, but they have to change FM again less lift higher roll Rate so on, there is no Module what I know with currently 2 different Flight Models possible have to be done First, like F-14 with variable sweep Wings...

In the mean Time not sure how many effort was done with the current FM, or what is left to do List, the Rudder get Pedal Forces as one Point I know in the meantime...

Edited by MAD-MM

Once you have tasted Flight, you will forever walk the Earth with your Eyes turned Skyward.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

9./JG27

External payload for sure, as the 3D models are already implemented in the game.

Clipped wing, though... Not sure. Last time they've been brought up for the umpteenth time around here, the explanations from the "powers that be" on this touchy subject were rather murky I recall.

Last I knew, the clipped wings weren't going to be an option. I remember something being said about the performance difference wasn't enough to justify including the clipped wings. I also remember one of the ED people saying that it was never included in the original package. I'm pretty sure that's accurate. But it's been a while since it's been brought up.

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/shop/modules/spitfire/

Still got clipped wing variant on the specification list for the package, so you don't mind if we disregard your statement. They have always said it would get the clipped wing option after the pre-release Beta.

If you can provide anything to contradict that, then let's see it. The last statement I read from ED said that they were working on it, but the flight model would need modification too, so it wouldn't be soon.

And on the original topic, until all the features listed in the link are there, the Spitfire will remain in Beta. Hopefully we won't have to wait too long for it.

Last I knew, the clipped wings weren't going to be an option. I remember something being said about the performance difference wasn't enough to justify including the clipped wings.

The Mi-8 has additional front armor, IR suppressors, and removable cargo doors, which don't give any performance difference either, yet they were somehow justified.

Remember, in the Mi-8, the previously features as minelayer launcher equipment and bombing sight was deleted after release.

The clipped wing 3D model has actually into the game, that require a new FM by the different performance (better turn rate).

Clipped wings

Starting with the Mk. V, some Spitfires had their classic elliptical wingtips replaced by shorter, squared-off fairings reducing span to 32 ft 2 in (9.80 m). Shortening the wing span substantially enhanced the roll rate, closing the gap in this respect between the Spitfire and the formidable German Focke-Wulf Fw 190.

The clipped-wing Spitfires are sometimes being referred to as “L.F.” versions, e.g.: LF Mk Vb. Formally, this is a misunderstanding as the LF designation referred to the low-altitude version of the Rolls-Royce Merlin engine and while many LF Spitfires had the clipped wings, a number did not.

Sith said just days ago in FB that clipped wings and external fuel tank are coming, which is known for the tank but it's been a while since I last heard about the clipped wings (FM change obviously).

Anyway, I don't care they call it Beta or not having a module that works perfectly for the most part of it.

S!

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

Love the Spit but for me, it feels like it has been abandoned (bombs especially) :(

Gigabyte Z390 Gaming X | i7 9700K@5.0GHz | Gainward Phantom GS RTX 3080 | 32GB DDR4@3200MHz | HP Reverb | TrackIR 5 | TM Warthog HOTAS | MFG Croswinds | DCS PD 1.0 / Steam VR SS 170%

Wow.

Come on guys, let's a get a grip of ourselves here; with the move to the 2.5 (to huge community demand for a unified version) including the new lighting system and all the accompanying technical issues to be sorted with such a profound upgrade, the imminent release of the F/A-18 (again to huge community demand for a fast mover, carrier based, multi-role fighter), the development and introduction of a memory mangement tool to allow increased accessability to users with lower-end machines and let's not forget the passing of their lead developer, the word "abandoned" is entirley unjustified. "De-prioritised" maybe, but given the above is that any surprise?

The Spitfire is emminently usable and fun right now - sure the mirror's wonky, yeah the drop tanks would help a bit with endurance and make more viable prototypical opertations from the UK, plus it'd be nice to attack - note "attack", not necessarily "hit" - something a little more resilient than an Soft-Skinned truck, but all of these are nuisance values, and that's all.

You can, right now, either a) go online and have some cracking dogfights, and - if you survive - fly a 45-60min sortie if you manage your revs etc. properly, or b) fly offline, maybe a DLC campagin (Bunyaps Epsom is great BTW) and have some good air-to-air tussles wit the AI or strafe trucks, infantry, trains, kubelwagens and if you're particularly brave AAA and still have an enjoyable experience.

Ultimately, those expecting that these additions will be some sort of pancea to the Spits shortcomings are going to be disappointed. The bombs are going to be very hard to be accurate with - but a fun challenge trying - and the tanks, whilst a definite boon for those wanting to play more realistic scenarios, will really mean just longer transit or loiter times whilst waiting for the action to happen.

I'm not saying I'm not looking forward to their additions - I'm really looking forward to extending the Spitfires capabilities.

But that's all it will do: extend; broaden slightly what is already there. There'll be no sea-change "hallelujah!" in what the Spitfire does; just some disaapointed people who seem to think there'll be some sort of epiphany when the drop tanks and bombs finally arrive.

Edited by DD_Fenrir

And what about the wing types? Would this be like an option in the rearming as "pylon" choices of armament or chosen in the mission? :)

The Wing Types would Likely be integrated as either a separate aircraft or a Special Options Checkbox that enables a different flight model.

As the Clipped Wings have an Entirely different behavior.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

Before the shorter wing,bomb and fuel tank, it is necessary to finish mainly a full-fledged mirror.

🖥️MSI PRO Z690-A DDR4, Kingston 3600 MHz 64 Gb, i5 12600K, Gigabyte RTX 4090, Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus,🕹️VKB NXT Premium.

Spitfire has been out for time, A more appropriate dev answer to why we dont have bombs yet is the question.

^THIS^

Gigabyte Z390 Gaming X | i7 9700K@5.0GHz | Gainward Phantom GS RTX 3080 | 32GB DDR4@3200MHz | HP Reverb | TrackIR 5 | TM Warthog HOTAS | MFG Croswinds | DCS PD 1.0 / Steam VR SS 170%

Also when will we be able to set our guns to converge at a distance of our choosing?

Probably never. There was a huge debate about this here a while ago, and IIRC the consensus was that it wasn't done all that often IRL either. So having it on a slider wouldn't actually be realistic.

The DCS Mi-8MTV2. The best aviational BBW experience you could ever dream of.

Probably never. There was a huge debate about this here a while ago, and IIRC the consensus was that it wasn't done all that often IRL either. So having it on a slider wouldn't actually be realistic.

That was certainly YoYo's opinion, however I wouldn't say there is a consensus on this.

No-one really knows how often pilots/ ground crews adjusted convergences.

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/philstylenz

Storm of War WW2 server website: https://stormofwar.net/