Unveiling the VKB TECS Throttle Control System

UIV

We VKB team take our pride in creating a fully dimensional world of modern virtual combat aviation control devices rather than a common "model range".

TECS (Twin Engine Control System) is a completely new throttle control device made for today's and future jet warbirds.

This unique state of art device is already out of "development" phase, and is currently entering "preparation for serial production".

It would be wrong to say that TECS "worthily follows the line of VKB engineering tradition" that we have carefully maintained for 14 years. No, it takes this tradition farther and further.

MECS_v01_02.jpg

The design as usually is based on modular principle with data streaming between the blocks via VKB proprietary digital interface.

Structurally, the system is built around the basic throttle control unit (the base). It can be expanded by additional panels connected to its front (with special braces) and to its rear (directly). These panels are also modular and allow users to configure the entire system according to their personal preferences.

Inside the slider grips, the base, and the panels we put bus controllers that collect the data from control elements and pass it to the main processing unit that is hidden in the throttle control base.

There are two ways the TECS can be connected to the computer: directly via USB, and via bus – by passing the data through the BlackBox. This way, it becomes possible to combine all control systems (the control grip + throttle control + pedals + extension panels) in one uncompromisingly rigid and integral piloting complex.

TECS_v02_4.jpg

TECS_v02_5.jpg

The TECS's main control sliders' movement is physically made linear that surely adds to the realistic feeling and allows for the user's greater immersion. Frictions that load this movement can be adjusted individually.

VKB engineers managed to design a unique stop mechanism that never before had been implemented in the gaming world. Now, like on a real plane, there are stops that demand additional effort on passing certain points of the movement range at Idle, Afterburner, and Afterburner max.

Same as on a real plane, both slider grips are equipped with individual stops. If desired, these stops can be deactivated, and the sliders will travel without additional effort along its entire range.

The grips' shape, similar to MCG, is as close as possible to the real fighters' controls. We only very slightly altered it to optimize its use in simulated environment.

Structural parts of the TECS's mechanism are all metal. Full slider travel – 110 mm.

Our own contactless magnetic sensors are used for extra precision.

We see no point in overloading the surface with as many control knobs and switches as possible – it would likely make flying less handy and controlling the plane would become trickier.

Instead, we focused on making the design and ergonomics of the TECS "VR ready". Every element can be easily found and identified by feel.

A complete complex made of Gunfighter base, MCG grip, TECS, T-Rudder Pedals (or Twist), and Extension Panels is the best possible cockpit set that offers the user exceptional control over the plane, unparalleled immersion, and allows to take pilotage to a much higher level.

The rendered image shows the pre-production version of the TECS. We will work together with the DCS experts to finalize the panels' layout, and confirm the text of the prints. If you read Russian, you might like studying these prints now: there might be something you wouldn't expect to see.

Desktop version will be the first to see the world, and cockpit version will follow. Stay tuned for announcements.

We estimate the price range for the main TECS base somewhere about US$ 200, and the extension panels – about 40 galactic credits.

Now, the question is WHEN?! – stay tuned!

Yours as always,

Global VKB Team

North America https://vkbcontrollers.com/

Europe https://flightsimcontrols.com/

Russia http://vkb-sim.pro/

Edited by UIV
TITLE

• Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You beautiful bastards....that looks incredible, exactly what I had been waiting for! Very excited for this, great work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by =Buckeye=

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

Wonder how those finger lifts work (if those are indeed finger lifts)? I had always seen them on the other side of the throttle I thought.

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

Nice! I like the gear lever :) Looking forward to it...

A warrior's mission is to foster the success of others.

i9-12900K | MSI RTX 3080Ti Suprim X | 128 GB Ram 3200 MHz DDR-4 | MSI MPG Edge Z690 | Samung EVO 980 Pro SSD | Virpil Stick, Throttle and Collective | MFG Crosswind | HP Reverb G2

RAT - On the Range - Rescue Helo - Recovery Tanker - Warehouse - Airboss

Looks really nice ! Especially excited about all metal structure and push trhough detents.

One question though, will the Grips be swappable as anticipated ?

Also can we get a picture of the control elements on the front of the throttle ?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

*unexpected flight behaviour* Oh shiii*** ! What ? Why ? What is happening ?

What an outstanding concept, looking forward to more information.

Spoiler:

MSI Z790 Carbon WIFI, i9 14900KF, 64GB DDR4, MSI RTX 4090, Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle, VKB Gunfighter Ultimate MCG Pro w/200mm Extension, Winwing Orion Rudder Pedals W/damper, UTC MK II Pro, Virpil TCS Plus Collective, Dell AW3418DW Gsync monitor, 970 Pro M2 1TB (for DCS), Playseat Air Force Seat, KW-980 Jetseat, Vaicom Pro, 3X TM Cougar with Lilliput 8" screens. Tek Creations panels and controllers.

My Gunfighter hasn't even arrived yet and I'm already convinced that I have something else that I must have in my life from VKB.

This thing looks nuts. Really hope it has the present switch that was mentioned earlier.

This certainly looks very interesting, I am intrigued.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Good description of the hardware ... but what about the software? How will we program each button? 200 dollars seems a very reasonable price, thanks for keeping this affordable :)

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Looking great!

A few questions:

1. What are the dimensions of the throttle unit and expansion panels? Are they the same or similar as the TM Warthog and Virpil T-50 throttles?

2. Can the expansion panels be used without the base throttle, either standalone USB or connected to a VKB Black box?

3. Do you still have WW2 and Space sim variants of this in the works, and if so, could you mix and match the modules - e.g. space throttle with TECS front module and WW2 back module?

4. Is there any chance of modularity or variants where you could drop in more toggle buttons instead of pushbuttons, like MCG-Pro vs. MCG?

5. Do you have any plans for a collective control module?

Edited by aniron

Wow, very nice! Will you guys offer English instead of Cyrillic as well?

I love that you guys made it easier for the VR folks. It's the future, so you guys are well positioned for it.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Looks very interesting, but that part got me worrying:

We see no point in overloading the surface with as many control knobs and switches as possible – it would likely make flying less handy and controlling the plane would become trickier.

It's the exact opposite of what real aircraft manufacturers are doing with the HOTAS system. Ever seen a throttle of Typhoon, F-22 or F-35?

Judging from the render, even mapping HOTAS of A-10, Harrier or F/A-18 will be a tough job on this one. Only one HAT, 3 pushbuttons and two switches? It's the exact opposite of "VR friendly" controller.

Edited by some1
  • Like 1

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

@some1

Ever looked at a Russian throttle unit? Even the new one do not appear to be festooned with buttons.

A better way to word your statement "it's the opposite of what WESTERN aircraft manufacturers are doing".

They're more or less replica controls. I wouldn't expect a massive departure from the real-world aircraft layout.

-edit

I had been planning on the VPC throttle until I saw this. Damn you, VKB... Hopefully it won't take as long to get this one pumped out, cause... I really want it... I might even wait another ridiculously long time to get it if necessary :P

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

Well, making a replica controls for a plane we don't have in any simulator may not be the smartest idea business wise. In case you haven't noticed we're not getting a modern Russian aircraft for DCS any time soon, but we're getting plenty of western ones. FC3 airplanes don't simulate hotas functions properly, so you want to have as many buttons as possible for them too, especially in VR.

I just don't see why I should be excited about this one, when Thrustmaster throttle is much more practical choice for the same price. You can't really play the "superior mechanics" part, as the Warthog throttle is also quite solid. And 11 cm of travel is actually less than the Warthog throttle has though it may be not fair to compare as the sliding movement will probably make it feel different.

To be honest, I had much higher hopes for VKB. Maybe VKB will make a "pro" version in the future, like the did for their stick, in the meantime I'll just use TMHW.

Edited by some1

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

Well, making a replica controls for a plane we don't have in any simulator may not be the smartest idea business wise. In case you haven't noticed we're not getting a modern Russian aircraft for DCS any time soon, but we're getting plenty of western ones. FC3 airplanes don't simulate hotas functions properly, so you want to have as many buttons as possible for them too, especially in VR.

I just don't see why I should be excited about this one, when Thrustmaster throttle is much more practical choice for the same price. You can't really play the "superior mechanics" part, as the Warthog throttle is also quite solid. And 11 cm of travel is actually less than the Warthog throttle has though it may be not fair to compare as the sliding movement will probably make it feel different.

To be honest, I had much higher hopes for VKB. Maybe VKB will make a "pro" version in the future, like the did for their stick, in the meantime I'll just use TMHW.

modular...………….diferent grips...……...side modules. and they hear the the recommendation,,,,,,so I expect several changes.