Where does "pole" come from in A-Pole or F-Pole

dobroDude

I would think the science/math term relating to polar, as in the pole of a magnet being a straight line that connects the north/south of a magnet. For example you can describe an electric motor with how many poles it has, two pole four pole etc

Black Shark Den Squadron Member: We are open to new recruits, click here to check us out or apply to join! https://blacksharkden.com

E3FFFC01-584A-411C-8AFB-B02A23157EB6.jpeg

From my understanding it comes from the vertical line that is projected into the Radar scope or HUD that represents the missile range, which together with the max range / no escape zone brackets looks like a telephone pole.

Hmm I'm pretty the terms have been around for a long time— well before radar scopes as we know them had a place in the cockpit.

I would think the science/math term relating to polar, as in the pole of a magnet being a straight line that connects the north/south of a magnet. For example you can describe an electric motor with how many poles it has, two pole four pole etc

This sounds like the right idea. Any idea where the A and F come from? Probably A for active.

I'm guessing "pole" is meant to represent a literal stick like in horseback jousting and/or the stick as shown in physical models or ACMI review. The other thought I would have is that ranges would be displayed in a vertical format on the radar or HUD aka "DLZ" where various ranges would feature at certain positions along a vertical "pole" line.

It's interesting and I bet an old-old timer on f-16.net would know the origins. A is certainly active, F probably final, E energy or evasion or escape.