Thunderbirds practice area?

Donut

Couple of videos they released early this year during work ups showed the Solos (at least) practicing in either the 64 or 65 range just north of Creech.

I don’t recall seeing anything similar from the Diamond or Delta practices.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

http://www.476vfightergroup.com/content.php

High Quality Aviation Photography For Personal Enjoyment And Editorial Use.

www.crosswindimages.com

Thanks guys! I can always count on the 476th vFG for great information!

Couple of videos they released early this year during work ups showed the Solos (at least) practicing in either the 64 or 65 range just north of Creech.

I don’t recall seeing anything similar from the Diamond or Delta practices.

I just saw these videos too and it sure does look like the Solos fly out north of Creech. I had always thought that the area north of Creech were bombing and gunnery ranges though.

Usually in the Alamos.

With your info, I did some research and found that restricted airspace R-4806E in the Alamo MOA has an area called Thunderbird Lake...I think this might be the spot.

i5 7600K @4.8GHz | 1080 Ti | 32GB 3200MHz | SSD | DCS SETTINGS | "COCKPIT"

Those videos from the Solos in the 60 ranges may have been very, very early in training where they were just working on basic “show center timing” training? Dunno for sure.

I watched the solo video more closely and noticed that they were using a row of white cargo containers out in the desert as reference. I did some searching on Google Maps and believe that I found the location.

You can also see the location in DCS with the satellite view in the Mission Editor. It's roughly located at 36°44'38"N 115°41'11"W, about 8nm north of Creech AFB.

I have found several official USAF websites that mention Creech AFB as being the training site for the Thunderbirds, however; I have not found any videos of them practicing over the airbase itself, only out in the open desert.

Edited by =BJM=

i5 7600K @4.8GHz | 1080 Ti | 32GB 3200MHz | SSD | DCS SETTINGS | "COCKPIT"