Pilot Skin Color and Gender

Boneski

So your idea of communication is that you erase all opinions that are not compliant with yours, right? A little dictator, maybe? :smilewink:

Nice... Actually, my idea is to suggest the original post-ers' wish-list idea remain, without all the drivel afterwards (including yours and mine).

i7 8700K @ Stock - Win10 64 - 32 RAM - RTX 3080 12gb OC - 55 inch 4k Display

Nice... Actually, my idea is to suggest the original post-ers' wish-list idea remain, without all the drivel afterwards (including yours and mine).

The purpose of a forum is the discussion about certain topics. You don't just state something that everyone else must agree with. But you are right - the discussion here is no longer about the idea of the poster.

A-10A, A-10C, A-10C II, AV-8B, F-5E, F-16C, F/A-18C, F-86F, Yak-52, Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria, Supercarrier, Combined Arms, FW 190 A-8, FW 190 D-9, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Normandy + WWII Assets Pack

My god, some of the posts here in this thread are depressing.

There are plenty of good reasons for wanting different skin colors for the pilots, someone already mentioned the P-51, which pretty much has to have a dark-skinned pilot option since one of the most famous (and successful) P-51 squadrons was the Tuskegee Airmen. A red-tailed P-51 with a light-skinned pilot would look odd and most definitely ahistorical.

DCS World has many different countries available, and many of these countries, like Egypt and Saudi Arabia, not to mention the USA, recruit their pilots from populations with a wide range of skin tones. Additionally, there are many famous air battles, including most of the major combat deployments of the MiG-29 and Su-27 and virtually all of those aircrafts' air-to-air kills, that occurred in sub-Saharan Africa. Let me repeat that: virtually all of the kills by the two most widely used redfor jets in DCS occurred in countries with dark-skinned pilots.

I understand that many people might wonder why this would matter since we don't see ourselves in the cockpit, and we don't usually see the other pilots even in WVR combat. This is true, but many people use DCS to make movies, and there have been some really mindblowingly good movies that have been made that show off this simulator. And those movies are often the first exposure that people have to DCS.

The different pilot skins in the P-51, and the fact that changing nationality can change the patches on the pilot flight suit strongly suggests that this is something that can be implemented at the level of aircraft skinning. If this is the case, then it may be relatively easy to implement this feature simply by creating new aircraft skins and uploading them to the user files section (and maybe later incorporating them into the main game). I have never tried to make an aircraft skin, but perhaps people who have done so could chime in and confirm whether this is the case?

My god, some of the posts here in this thread are depressing.

There are plenty of good reasons for wanting different skin colors for the pilots, someone already mentioned the P-51, which pretty much has to have a dark-skinned pilot option since one of the most famous (and successful) P-51 squadrons was the Tuskegee Airmen. A red-tailed P-51 with a light-skinned pilot would look odd and most definitely ahistorical.

DCS World has many different countries available, and many of these countries, like Egypt and Saudi Arabia, not to mention the USA, recruit their pilots from populations with a wide range of skin tones. Additionally, there are many famous air battles, including most of the major combat deployments of the MiG-29 and Su-27 and virtually all of those aircrafts' air-to-air kills, that occurred in sub-Saharan Africa. Let me repeat that: virtually all of the kills by the two most widely used redfor jets in DCS occurred in countries with dark-skinned pilots.

I understand that many people might wonder why this would matter since we don't see ourselves in the cockpit, and we don't usually see the other pilots even in WVR combat. This is true, but many people use DCS to make movies, and there have been some really mindblowingly good movies that have been made that show off this simulator. And those movies are often the first exposure that people have to DCS.

The different pilot skins in the P-51, and the fact that changing nationality can change the patches on the pilot flight suit strongly suggests that this is something that can be implemented at the level of aircraft skinning. If this is the case, then it may be relatively easy to implement this feature simply by creating new aircraft skins and uploading them to the user files section (and maybe later incorporating them into the main game). I have never tried to make an aircraft skin, but perhaps people who have done so could chime in and confirm whether this is the case?

Kneejerks to quips we picked up on social media memes are always going to drown away any sense or discussion worth having.

Reformers hate him! This one weird trick found by a bush pilot will make gunfighter obsessed old farts angry at your multi-role carrier deck line up!

Kneejerks to quips we picked up on social media memes are always going to drown away any sense or discussion worth having.

Fixed it for you. Memes are not new, it's just propaganda dressed up for the 21st century. Propaganda is not inherently good or bad, I'm not using that term as an insult. However, like all good propaganda, memes take a shortcut past reason and thought to as to make something seem "obvious" without having to give it any serious consideration. If people are just going to post memes, it is clear that they are not interested in a discussion, because there is no point to arguing against propaganda.

When you add the fact that many of these memes are intended as jokes, this makes things worse when people are trying to be serious. For example, when discussing how to solve substance abuse problems at work (part of my job), I wouldn't interrupt a meeting to tell Robin Williams' joke about how God must have been high when he designed the platypus, even if it is one of the funniest things I've ever heard, because it is simply not the right time and place, and adds nothing to the discussion.

Perhaps when Ace Combat 7 comes out, the children will go play that instead, but I was under the impression that DCS had mostly an adult audience.

This is such a powerful thread. I've noticed while flying the F-15C you get an RWR notification when an enemy launches on you. BUT when flying the P-51D I get no RWR launch warning. This is obviously cultural appropriation - RWR's were invented in Africa bigots.

It's time for 4th gen DCS pilots to check your privilege. It's literally the current year, you've had enough of your electromagnetic spectrum privilege.

Intel i5-8600k | EVGA RTX 3070 | Windows 10 | 32GB RAM @3600 MHz | 500 GB Samsung 850 SSD

This is such a powerful thread. I've noticed while flying the F-15C you get an RWR notification when an enemy launches on you. BUT when flying the P-51D I get no RWR launch warning. This is obviously cultural appropriation - RWR's were invented in Africa bigots.

It's time for 4th gen DCS pilots to check your privilege. It's literally the current year, you've had enough of your electromagnetic spectrum privilege.

https://www.logicallyfallacious.com/tools/lp/Bo/LogicalFallacies/42/Appeal-to-Ridicule

Now THAT'S funny...censorship exists on every forum everywhere. :megalol:

Moderation and censorship are two different things. I'm sorry but I can't find censorship a cause for humor in the same way you can.

Intel i5-8600k | EVGA RTX 3070 | Windows 10 | 32GB RAM @3600 MHz | 500 GB Samsung 850 SSD

i don't think you get it, I'm sick of hearing you must do this and that because it may offend someone, this world is getting like a nanny state, get over it and start living a normal lfe like we all used to, just get along. the pilot issue is YOU flying, whether your male female whatever, its you, so the voice is wrong, big deal its just a game

Like Bonedust said, just modify your pilot skin in PS. He did mine. I’m a medium dark skinned American male by the way. Once I figured out how to it, I changed all of pilot skins in the modules I have. Very easy to do.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus MOBO||Ryzen 9 3900X 12 Core, 24 Thread Processor || MSI GTX 1070Ti 8GB GPU OverClocked || 32GB GSKILL DDR4 RAM @3600 || Samsung 1TB SSD || Samsung 250GB SSD || WD Caviar Black 2TB HDD || WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD || Thermaltake ToughPower GF1 850W PS || Thermaltake Tower || Windows 10 Pro 64bit || Thrustmaster Warthog and Cougar sticks, throttles and MFDs || Saitek Rudder Pedals || Trackir 5 ||

I got shot down in my Mig21 (With a Soviet skin) the other night, and as I gently parachuted to earth, I had plenty of time to think about how unfair life is.

I was able to twist my head around 180 degrees to see my own pilot's face. He was a guy with different skin tone to me, and a dodgy 'tache. To be fair, that 'tache probably fitted with the era of Soviet Mig-21s. It got me thinking.

If making the sim *more unrealistic* means extra development effort, then I'm against it. Ideally, the pilots should fit with the era/geography of the jet and its skin. E.g. a Chinese-skinned Mig-15 would presumably have a pilot that looks Chinese.

A US plane from the modern era could have any skin colour. If there's a choice, fine. If not, any random realistic pilot would suffice. If a company is committed to developing 10 skins for a modern western jet (or collection of jets), maybe some variation would be good - and realistic.

I think that's how I would see diversity. Not for its own sake, or to "raise awareness". But to reflect the reality of the world in which these planes flew and continue to fly.

Sinclair ZX Spectrum 48K, Kempston joystick Interface, Alba Cassette Recorder, Quickshot II Turbo Joystick

Forget your politacal correctness . It's not wanted in computer games . As proven .

Things are changing leave politics out of computer games .

Gigabyte - X570 UD ~ Ryzen - 5600X @ 4.7 - Pulse - RX-6800 -  XPG 32:GB @ 3200 - VKB - Gunfighter 4 - STECs - Throttle - Crosswinds Rudders - Trackir 5 .

I'm a dot . Pico Nero 3 link VR . @ 4k

Win 11 Pro 64Bit .

Fixed it for you. Memes are not new, it's just propaganda dressed up for the 21st century. Propaganda is not inherently good or bad, I'm not using that term as an insult. However, like all good propaganda, memes take a shortcut past reason and thought to as to make something seem "obvious" without having to give it any serious consideration. If people are just going to post memes, it is clear that they are not interested in a discussion, because there is no point to arguing against propaganda.

When you add the fact that many of these memes are intended as jokes, this makes things worse when people are trying to be serious. For example, when discussing how to solve substance abuse problems at work (part of my job), I wouldn't interrupt a meeting to tell Robin Williams' joke about how God must have been high when he designed the platypus, even if it is one of the funniest things I've ever heard, because it is simply not the right time and place, and adds nothing to the discussion.

Perhaps when Ace Combat 7 comes out, the children will go play that instead, but I was under the impression that DCS had mostly an adult audience.

Truth.

Reformers hate him! This one weird trick found by a bush pilot will make gunfighter obsessed old farts angry at your multi-role carrier deck line up!

Forget your politacal correctness . It's not wanted in computer games . As proven .

Things are changing leave politics out of computer games .

What was it exactly that was proven?

All I see is a bunch of dudes going berserk about politics, political correctness and gender as soon as the word "diversity" is mentioned just once, and reassuring each other that the louder they yell, the more it is "proven" that a fairly simple wishlist request cannot, must not and will not, ever, be taken into consideration because if they see no reason for it, there is no reason to it.

I usually think this community consists of mature, nice, well mannered people that mostly have a great sense of humor, and that come from all over the world. When presumably white people tell the rest of the world that the request for multi-colored pilot skins is a matter of politics and gender ideology, it's just sad that somehow they feel that they have the right to tell others to shut up. And *then* these same people complain about potential censorship and claim the fundamental right to free speech? That audacity.

We do seem to live in divisive times. :(

... I usually think this community consists of mature, nice, well mannered people...

ah.. i see you're new here................

i7-4790K | Asus Sabertooth Z97 MkI | 16Gb DDR3 | EVGA GTX 980 | TM Warthog | MFG Crosswind | Panasonic TC-58AX800U

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Indeed we do , and the first casualty of that divisiveness is rationality .

It seems we much prefer nihilistic ecstasies .

Edited by Svsmokey

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

ah.. i see you're new here................

:megalol:

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

What was it exactly that was proven?

All I see is a bunch of dudes going berserk about politics, political correctness and gender as soon as the word "diversity" is mentioned just once, and reassuring each other that the louder they yell, the more it is "proven" that a fairly simple wishlist request cannot, must not and will not, ever, be taken into consideration because if they see no reason for it, there is no reason to it.

I usually think this community consists of mature, nice, well mannered people that mostly have a great sense of humor, and that come from all over the world. When presumably white people tell the rest of the world that the request for multi-colored pilot skins is a matter of politics and gender ideology, it's just sad that somehow they feel that they have the right to tell others to shut up. And *then* these same people complain about potential censorship and claim the fundamental right to free speech? That audacity.

Indeed, some people seem to believe that everything that has to do with "diversity", a black person or a woman is a part of some huge conspiratorial scheme against white people. It's not. In our community we have members who are men and women; white, black and everything inbetween. The same is seen in most modern air forces. I don't see the issue with DCS reflecting that same diversity. It's not an insurmountable task. Quite the opposite actually.

-Col. Russ Everts opinion on surface-to-air missiles: "It makes you feel a little better if it's coming for one of your buddies. However, if it's coming for you, it doesn't make you feel too good, but it does rearrange your priorities."

DCS Wishlist:

MC-130E Combat Talon   |   F/A-18F Lot 26   |   HH-60G Pave Hawk   |   E-2 Hawkeye/C-2 Greyhound   |   EA-6A/B Prowler   |   J-35F2/J Draken   |   RA-5C Vigilante