HTC - New higher resolution device?

dburne

Very exciting indeed! Maybe finally we will have a serious upgrade from what have been available for the past two years (soon). If the specs are good it will be a day one purchase for me. If just Nvidia could release the next Ti-card too...

"The current Vive model, released in 2016, has a pair of 1,080 × 1,200 displays made by Samsung. Samsung released their own PC VR headset, the Odyssey, at the end of 2017, which uses 1,440 × 1,600 displays; it’s feasible that HTC will use those same displays in a Vive 1.5."

I hope it's more than the Odyssey spec. I guess we'll find out soon.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

"The current Vive model, released in 2016, has a pair of 1,080 × 1,200 displays made by Samsung. Samsung released their own PC VR headset, the Odyssey, at the end of 2017, which uses 1,440 × 1,600 displays; it’s feasible that HTC will use those same displays in a Vive 1.5."

I hope it's more than the Odyssey spec. I guess we'll find out soon.

Exactly. Hope it's got a little more goose than the Odyssey.

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

Well today should be the day we get some info at CES.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Looks like today at 4:00 PM EST for the announcement.

https://www.engadget.com/2018/01/08/htc-vive-ces-2018-press-event/

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Don B

• ED Team

https://overclock3d.net/news/gpu_displays/htc_announces_their_vive_pro_vr_headset/1

screen resolution of 2880x1600 (1440x1600 per eye). The HTC Vive Pro utilises two OLED displays, with a 78% increase in resolution over the standard Vive headset.

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Neat, glad this is moving along, really wish they wouldn't have taken the Pimax route of PR on this though. It is not a 78% increase in resolution, it is an increase in 78% more pixels, and a 33% increase in resolution. Also shocked no FOV increase (or at least i didnt see any mention of it)

Twitch2DCS - Bring twitch chat into DCS.

SplashOneGaming.com - Splash One is a community built on combat flight simulation. S1G Discord

twitch / youtube / facebook / twitter / discord

Stereoscopic pass-through cameras could open the door to using physical cockpits with greenscreen outside views/canopies/instrument/mfd/display faces/etc, which is essentially one of the holy grails of simulation.

The increase in resolution may not seem huge, but current gen cards still need to be able to run it and bumping up the pixels per degree by 33% certainly will make text and bogies and SAM's easier to see and noticeably sharpen the image.

Beyond cockpits/sims and experiences where you are not held back by the limitation of the inferior tracking range of the controllers, MS VR is a wanting experience so even if all else were equal this will be a hmd that noticeably outdoes them since the increase in res is the only feature they offer that is an upgrade (and only in the case of the Odyssey which uses AMOLED screens and custom optics), all else being a sidestep or downgrade.

The stereoscopic pass-through potentially puts this on another tier altogether though.

i have to say, the new Vive Pro does look tasty.

3k, rez...i am tempted.

i never had any confidence in odessy. the hardware may have been impressive, but the software is lacking.

both hardware and software is important.

depending on the weight of the Vive Pro.. i might just consider getting one!

find me on steam! username: Hannibal_A101A

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197969447179

Article states that the Vive Pro is backwards compatible with the current lighthouses, um, that could be promising...

I would only need the headset to upgrade...

That could could make a difference, looks like I'll have to wait and see how it'll look, function, and durability, compared to the Pimax.....:juggle:

I think the increase will be quite noticeable enough...

The duel mic and cameras could be a game change...

I'll have to wait and see. I got the Odyssey because of the increased resolution and I could not tell the difference in DCS. Now that could very well be because of DCS limitation. But even when comparing home pages (Microsoft's home vs Oculus home) there was hardly any difference. Not to me, anyway. Perhaps folks with eagle eye 20/20 vision can tell the difference.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

To be honest, for DCS, a true next-gen headset is probably what is needed to get a really good experience (where reading gauges and spotting targets will be alot easier). Now that HTC have released this medium update I put my faith in Oculus actually releasing a gen 2 headset first. I don't think they will risk HTC being first on that ball. However, I don't expect much news from Oculus until Connect 5 in October. Since there was no mention at all of a CV1 replacement on Oculus 4 it is more or less 100% sure that Connect 5 will be all about the CV2, with a probably release in spring 2019, or maybe christmas 2018 (if we're lucky).

I will probably wait out the CV2. I like that Oculus is well supported in DCS and have features like ASW that is still missing with the Vive. Also, by late 2018 or spring 2019 the next Ti-card from Nvidia will be available and that should be a nice upgrade from my GTX 980 (non-Ti). :)

I will probably wait out the CV2. I like that Oculus is well supported in DCS and have features like ASW that is still missing with the Vive. Also, by late 2018 or spring 2019 the next Ti-card from Nvidia will be available and that should be a nice upgrade from my GTX 980 (non-Ti). :)

I am with you there, pretty much my plan also.

Don B

I wait and see. First vulcan API is coming. Wait for volta. :D Second odessy and vive is a minimal upgrade from what we have now. The first big New thing is the pimax 8k. I am waiting for the first reviews. :D

New system:I9-9900KS, Kingston 128 GB DDR4 3200Mhz, MSI RTX 4090, Corsair H150 Pro RGB, 2xSamsung 970 EVO 2Tb, 2xsamsung 970 EVO 1 TB, Scandisk m2 500 MB, 2 x Crucial 1 Tb, T16000M HOTAS, HP Reverb Professional 2, Corsair 750 Watt.

Old system:I7-4770K(OC 4.5Ghz), Kingston 24 GB DDR3 1600 Mhz,MSI RTX 2080(OC 2070 Mhz), 2 * 500 GB SSD, 3,5 TB HDD, 55' Samsung 3d tv, Trackir 5, Logitech HD Cam, T16000M HOTAS. All DCS modules, maps and campaigns:pilotfly:

I am very welcoming of new competition and tech in VR as I really feel it isn't quite there yet to be a playable everyday piece of hardware for me coming from 4K. Hopefully with more competition Oculus will be pushed to head towards true 4K 4R and a wider FOV. For me it looks like Pimax 8K-X will be heads and tails above everybody when it does launch with 200 deg FOV and Native 4K in each eye...I will be eagerly watching this year. I will be buying the first good High Resolution VR headset available no matter what the cost...I will invest in other GPUs if I need to as well. Just ready for the tech to be available:D

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | ASUS Crosshair Hero X670E | 64GB G Skill Trident Z DDR5 6000 | Nvidia RTX 4090 FE| Samsung EVO Plus 6 TB M.2 PCIe SSDs | TM Hornet Stick/WinWing Hornet Throttle and MIP | VPC T-50 Stick Base | TM TPR Rudder Pedals W/Damper | Varjo Aero/Pimax Crystal

VFA-25 Fist of the Fleet

Carrier Strike Group One(CSG-1) Discord

Guys close your eyes when ya dream no sli for dcs, non of next gen gpu will be able to push 4k per eye, cause nvidia is not interested in making crds 4x the power in one to to gens, and last big fow will need lenses out of this world and lenses for vr in flight sim are as important as screen as the most important is sharp image in the middle, so the image will loose fidelity or will be lost clarity in the middle, so no golden headset soon.