Hornet update? - Page 15 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 06-13-2018, 02:52 PM   #141
SCU

Quote:
Fixed the behavior of the aircraft when flaps extended from the AUTO to HALF/FULL positions.
Heck yeah!
SCU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 02:53 PM   #142
SCU

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorcer3r View Post
A day without "basic IFF" for the hornet is a good day

IMO such a feature should not be part of a high fidelity dcs module. (or game mode only)
Couldn't have said it better. Thank you..
Old 06-13-2018, 02:54 PM   #143
backspace340

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorcer3r View Post
A day without "basic IFF" for the hornet is a good day

IMO such a feature should not be part of a high fidelity dcs module. (or game mode only)
You misunderstand - the 'basic' IFF is the simplest realistic IFF that the hornet actually has in real life, they're not adding in an easy mode, it's just the most basic one they could model quickly (the other places to get IFF info need LTWS or TWS).

Check the videos Matt posted earlier in this thread of the (real life) hornet cockpit videos - you'll see the basic IFF we're getting in action.
backspace340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 02:57 PM   #144
SCU

Quote:
Originally Posted by backspace340 View Post
You misunderstand - the 'basic' IFF is the simplest realistic IFF that the hornet actually has in real life, they're not adding in an easy mode, it's just the most basic one they could model quickly (the other places to get IFF info need LTWS or TWS).

Check the videos Matt posted earlier in this thread of the (real life) hornet cockpit videos - you'll see the basic IFF we're getting in action.
In real life there are encryption codes that the friendlies must have entered to work.
Old 06-13-2018, 03:01 PM   #145
backspace340

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCU View Post
In real life there are encryption codes that the friendlies must have entered to work.
They have never said they are implementing IFF codes - no other module, including the A-10C, has that modeled.
Old 06-13-2018, 03:03 PM   #146
sze5003

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piston85 View Post
The radar rws doesnt work ok, and was acknowledged by ED. I would rather see it fixed so i can actually see contacts than having the iff

Sent from my Moto Z Play using Tapatalk
That's odd, I was using the radar in multiplayer and in the instant action misisons. Aside from
not knowing who I am targeting online, I was able to lock up targets and fire.

But I think you are right sometimes online I know there are targets, but the radar does not pick them up all the time.
Asus ROG Strix Z370-E | Core i7 8700k @5.0Ghz-Corsair H100i v2 | 32GB DDR4 Corsair Vengence LPX 3000 | 1TB Seagate 7200 rpm | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Asus Strix OC 1080Ti | Samsung Odyssey
sze5003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 03:04 PM   #147
SCU

Quote:
They have never said they are implementing IFF codes - no other module, including the A-10C, has that modeled.
I was just replying to the "the 'basic' IFF is the simplest realistic IFF that the hornet actually has in real life" part that it isn't that "simple" in RL.
Old 06-13-2018, 03:05 PM   #148
sorcer3r

Quote:

AFAIK it works like the FC3 and DCS Mirage "IFF". It will show you friends / hostile contacts based on the coalition set in the mission editor.

That is 100% easy mode and should be only available in game mode.
Old 06-13-2018, 03:06 PM   #149
backspace340

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCU View Post
I was just replying to the "the 'basic' IFF is the simplest realistic IFF that the hornet actually has in real life" part that it isn't that "simple" in RL.
I meant simplest to implement for ED - all they need to do is make the lock box turn to a diamond if it's enemy, it doesn't need radar functions we don't have yet like LTWS or TWS.
Old 06-13-2018, 03:13 PM   #150
sorcer3r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman1330 View Post
I'm sick of all this hate on IFF from those who don't understand how it works.

Mode 4/5 IFF works very similar to what we see in DCS. The crypto code is loaded by ground crew before the mission, and as long as it is turned on, it works. I have flown behind Modes 1-4 in an operational theatre, and there's very little that needs to be done by the pilot for Mode 4. The thing to remember is it tells you only when you're looking at a confirmed friendly. A lack of valid response still doesn't mean it's enemy, it just means it's still unknown. Could be civilian airliner or a friendly who forgot to load it / has it malfunctioning. How you deal with that is a procedural thing (ie don't shoot until you're sure).
... and that is not how it works in DCS.