Mounting the throttle

Harlikwin

So...

By all accounts the unit is decent, the software so/so (maybe getting fixed?). So I'm at the point of being willing to give it a try.

But the issue for me is mounting.

I already swap between 2 different throttles based on which plane I'm flying in VR, and like 4 sticks.

The throttle looks HUGE, and HEAVY. And the included desk mount looks really not that good. Most importantly it doesn't look like its quick detach.

I'm currently using Foxx mounts for all my stuff, and I heard a rumor monstertech is making a QD mount for this throttle, but I can't find any info.

I've also thought about just having it sit on a box next to my chair and moving it when needed.

Any thoughts on mounting solutions?

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

How do you swap today? I assume this would replace your warthog throttle completely unless you're a die-hard a10 driver.

If you swap foxxmounts your best quick change bet is going to be the monstertech mounting plate on a foxxmount... Or copy their design and make one since it will probably be $50+ usd after shipping depending on where you're at.

I would not worry about the weight at all. The warthog has heavy weighted plates inside to weigh it down. This does not. It's just physically a lot bigger.

Monstertech let us know they are at least 6+ weeks out from a production mount, they are in the prototyping stage today.

Meanwhile, if you want the winwing throttle now, order it with the deskmount or you can easily slap some heavy duty Velcro on the bottom and Velcro it to a warthog throttle mount (the base dimensions are similar). It will be plenty sturdy for a temporary solution.

Edited by Vullcan

Vullcan, thanks for the response.

Yeah Right now I just have everything is on foxmounts and I mix/n/match depending on the plane so I have realistic control mapping, and then for everything else I push buttons in VR.

So for example I will keep the WH for the A10C and the F15 with the F16 stick and F18 stick respectively since those are the closest physical controls. And for the F16 I use my cougar throttle and FSSB stick. Or for Russian planes the Virpil stick and the WH throttle (my default for any 2 engine plane, while the Cougar is the default for single engine planes like the viper and Jeff, M2k, and mig21)

This throttle will obviously replace the WH for the F18, and probably other planes if they make sense. But not for the A10 or F15 since the WH throttle is correct.

So for me as you can see, the EASE of swapping is critical.

I'll might hold off until mostertech has the mounts. Depending on what the shipping time from China is? How long does that take?

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Yeah, I think the throttle alone is lighter than the Warthog throttle (which uses ballast). However it is longer and with the side button box moves the centre of gravity further away from your desk edge. So to avoid any damage to your desk you need a good quality mount.

I know for sure that Monstertech is working on a good quality mount. The Winwing one looks trash, and as you have pointed out does not have a fast release... quite the opposite... you have to screw around with little plastic blocks while supporting the throttle in place by your desk... major faff. There have been a couple of guys on here that have build very nice, sturdy wooden side console boxes to house their throttles. That looks like a good solution to me if you are up for some fairly simple woodwork / DIY. And such a box could easily be moved from near your desk.

Also there is the issue you mentioned of the software which reports from end users on this forum suggest opens an always on link from your PC to a Chinese server. And stories of cranky USB connections.

I also don't like the side button box being bundled with the throttle. I've asked Alex at Winwing about selling the throttle separate to the side panel and he is unwilling. Apparently all their packing boxes are set up for the bundle so they would need to arrange new packing materials to offer separately... hmm... It doesn't sound that complicated to come up with a new smaller box?

I am going to pass. But if they reconsider selling the throttle from the button box then I will probably give it a try. I hope the software is fixed to users satisfaction by then.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

It makes sense right, just from a business perspective. They spent $$$ on R&D for a HOTAS combo and want to recoup their investment.

We begged them to sell the throttle separately, something they did not want to do because it wasn't factored into their original model and they listed it at a fairly high price without a discount. This persuades people into buying the combo or spending a bit more on the throttle than its "worth" in order to help them cover their costs and make the profits they intended to.

Now you're asking them to not only further take away from whatever their goals were when they set out on this venture, to spend man hours on reboxing products or whatever else that involves in their company... I can see why they are saying no thanks for now.

This is their first foray into the consumer combat flight sim market - give them some slack, lets see how their products stack up. It may be well worth "investing" in this company now if they drive even more innovation in the flight sim peripheral space. It was just yesterday when all we had was the TM warthog, now we have options and its great.

Vullcan: all fair comments from you. I have a somewhat different opinion.

Firstly I completely understand the concept of a bundle. It is the art of upsell. Countless companies try to do it: telecoms triple play became quad play with telephone, tv, internet and mobile. Insurance companies are not happy to stop with car insurance... they want your house, holiday, pet and life insurance too so they offer you bundles.

Winwing's situation with their bundle is that there was a lot of hype ahead of launch. Reviewers expecting finished products meeting the hype were instead faced with HOTAS systems that failed to meet expectations. There were quality issues, functionality issues and design issues. For this reason many reviewers pulled their full on reviews and just posted unboxing videos and then did no further updates. Jabbers and Noobifier being two particularly high profile guys with good reputations for honesty. Most of the concern centred on the joystick base which came from the factory poorly adjusted and required lots of setup that reviewers found confusing. But there were more fundamental design concerns also. Plus the market for upmarket joystick bases is already well served by 3-4 other companies. And T/M came out with an arguably better F/A-18C grip before Winwing. So pretty unsurprising that Winwing was forced to offer the throttle separate to joystick and joystick base. And subsequently offer deep discounts on the joystick components which is what we are seeing.

The strategy of bundling with a button box might force an upsell on customers desperate to get their hands on the throttle. That is a value call each of us have to make. I was close to a purchase of the throttle, but with all the associated extra costs (shipping and taxes) I will sit this out.

Hopefully Virpil, VKB or Thrustmaster come up with something... another F-16 throttle for example from one of these would be excellent. If Winwing were smart they would lock as many customers into their throttle ecosystem before one of these other competitors comes out with a full travel throttle box or an alternative to the A-10 / F-15 grip of the Warthog.

Finally I'd actually say that Thrustmaster comes out with some very good products at very competitive prices: although the Warthog base is pretty underwhelming by today's standards (which have moved on past the Warthog base) their A-10 / F-16 and F/A-18C grips are excellent. Also the Warthog throttle is decent with the exception of the horrible slew sensor the many of us upgrade anyways.

But I appreciate all the points you made.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Yeah, I think the throttle alone is lighter than the Warthog throttle (which uses ballast). However it is longer and with the side button box moves the centre of gravity further away from your desk edge. So to avoid any damage to your desk you need a good quality mount.

I know for sure that Monstertech is working on a good quality mount. The Winwing one looks trash, and as you have pointed out does not have a fast release... quite the opposite... you have to screw around with little plastic blocks while supporting the throttle in place by your desk... major faff. There have been a couple of guys on here that have build very nice, sturdy wooden side console boxes to house their throttles. That looks like a good solution to me if you are up for some fairly simple woodwork / DIY. And such a box could easily be moved from near your desk.

Also there is the issue you mentioned of the software which reports from end users on this forum suggest opens an always on link from your PC to a Chinese server. And stories of cranky USB connections.

That would be a no go for me.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Harlikwin, see here for my solution: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=275305

works great, I have 3 throttles I use

System specs: PC1 :Scan 3XS Ryzen 5900X, 64GB Corsair veng DDR4 3600, EVGA GTX 3090 Win 10, Quest Pro, Samsung Odyssey G9 Neo monitor. Tir5. PC2 ( Helo) Scan 3XS Intel 9900 K, 32 GB Ram, 2080Ti, 50 inch Phillips monitor

F/A-18C: Rhino FFB base TianHang F16 grip, Winwing MP 1, F-18 throttle, TO & Combat panels, MFG crosswind & DFB Aces  seat :cool:                       

Viper: WinWing MFSSB base with F-16 grip, Winwing F-16 throttle, plus Vipergear ICP. MFG crosswind rudders. 

Helo ( Apache) set up: Virpil collective with AH64D grip, Cyclic : Rhino FFB base & TM F18 grip, MFG crosswind rudders, Total controls AH64 MFD's,  TEDAC Unit. 

I'm still trying to figure out how to mount my Warthog throttle like yours. Right now my Winwing throttle can slide forward/backward along my Monstertech's Flightstand leg, so I can move it out of the way for the second throttle to come in. Going to need some sort of swinging bracket so my Warthog throttle can be moved sideway when not in used.

Or I'll just use Winwing for everything, lol. It's got enough buttons.

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/