Joining any multiplayer server problems

Cpt Cuckoo

What's the deal with DCS multi-player servers." It was always a problem but for the last few months it is quite impossible for me to join any of them. DCS crashes every single time now. I've tried on two computers and ...zilch!

I hoped the problem would go away when I got my new laptop an Acer Nitro 5 light gaming but it is no better for joining DCS servers than the other. The graphics are way better though.

So, why is it that it has become impossible for me to join one of these servers without DCS crashing? And since DCS is aware of this problem why hasn't it been fixed already.......like years ago?

Any ideas?

No it works okay for me ver OB 2.5.lattest, Logging on can be a bit of a dogs breakfast and literally take minutes.

Have you checked the C:\users\saved game\your_DCS_version\logs\dcslog that may indicate something.

How does it crash?

Try running windows start-> Eagle Dynamics->RepairDCSWorkd->your version

Control is an illusion which usually shatters at the least expected moment.

Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors. See above.

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

It crashes in various ways. After trying to load the server for 5 or 10 minutes it just goes black and I have to use Task Mgr to end the DCS program. On rare occasion I can actually get into a server and then DCS crashes or boots me out. I've wasted hours trying to get in. I don't know how the read the log but now that I know to look there I'll keep an eye on it and check it right after DCS crashes or whatever it does.

It crashes in various ways. After trying to load the server for 5 or 10 minutes it just goes black and I have to use Task Mgr to end the DCS program. On rare occasion I can actually get into a server and then DCS crashes or boots me out. I've wasted hours trying to get in. I don't know how the read the log but now that I know to look there I'll keep an eye on it and check it right after DCS crashes or whatever it does.

The log file is over written each time you start DCS just check it and rename it, if you can compress it and attach it to the post.

Some servers will boot you if you have any "mods" as well as booting you for long ping times etc. But you usually get a message telling you why.

It would be more helpful if you could tell us what version etc and which server(s) :thumbup:

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

The log file is over written each time you start DCS just check it and rename it, if you can compress it and attach it to the post.

Some servers will boot you if you have any "mods" as well as booting you for long ping times etc. But you usually get a message telling you why.

It would be more helpful if you could tell us what version etc and which server(s) :thumbup:

Interestingly, now that I finally said something about the problem, I just now managed to actually get on a server for the first time in months. The Normandy WWII server. But I then went to Inferno and it just went into forever load mode as it always has done for that server and me. It drives my disc usage percentage up to 100% while trying to get on. I'll post a log file tomorrow its late here. I don't think there is anything wrong with my two computers.

Your RAM capacity seems low for MP Server would consider 16GB.

What sort of connection are you using?

Your RAM capacity seems low for MP Server would consider 16GB.

What sort of connection are you using?

Yeah....I'm going to upgrade to 24gb RAM any day now. However I have 16gb RAM on my other laptop and have the same problem connecting to servers. I'm using wifi to connect to the internet on both. Also, I have noticed that while trying to connect to a server my disk usage goes to 100%. I dont know if it does that on the old laptop because it's too risky to run DCS on it right now to test it because the CPU fan has quit and I am waiting on the part so I can exchange fans.

Wireless should be okay for LAN but what is you actual connection to the internet ADSL?? what I'm asking is it like copper wire to the house or something else?

I'll check but I not sure about disk usage, generally in SP I get about 6 to 8GB RAM and 6 to 8 GB VRAM in MP about 16GB of RAM and 10.something GB of VRAM.

Just a thought did the repair utility do anything for you install?

Yep you need that fan working. :D

I never tried to repair because I don't understand the instructions anywhere on the web I've read. I get 'access denied' if I try to use the Terminal or whatever Win 10 calls it. Don't know why I would need a repair since I just installed DCS on this pc. Which is weird because I used Terminal to update DCS the other day. Win 8 was so much better for me than 10. I even took the pc to Geek Squad so they could check it. They seemed to think it is running OK. ...Oh..I have a cable connection.

Just tried to get on to Buddy Spike. It eventually opened up to what appeared to be a blank Mission map and then after a few minutes it went to a black screen with my Task Bar showing at the bottom. I had to use Task Manager to close DSC.

Edited by Cpt Cuckoo

It's your game installed on a SSD drive?

If your pc take too much time to load DCS, the multiplayer server force close the connection with your client because for server your DCS is not responding while loading.

I know it's pretty annoying but DCS 2.5+ need at least 16GB of RAM and an SSD to run smooth in multiplayer.

FlighRIG => CPU: RyZen 5900x | RAM: 64GB Corsair 3000Mhz | GPU: nVIDIA RTX 4090 FE | OS Storage: SSD NVMe Samsung 850 Pro 512GB, DCS Storage: SSD NVMe Sabrent 1TB | Device: Multipurpose-UFC, VirPil T-50, TM WARTHOG Throttle, TrackHat, MFD Cougar with screen.

Our Servers => [ITA] Banshee | Krasnodar - PvE | PersianConquest PvE Live Map&Stats | Syria Liberation PvE Conquest

Support us on twitch subscribing with amazon prime account linked, it's free!

...And confirmed....cleanup and repair does not work in Powershell. The commands are not recognized even as Admin.

Huh!

No just windows start menu navigate down to "Eagle Dynamics" then under Eagle Dynamics selection is a selection "Repair DCS" just use the mouse to select it like any other app you would run from the start menu. :)

If you really want the command line version I'll give it to you however thats not really necessary ATM.

Have you managed to get a copy of the DCS log after DCS crashes?

Not sure if this will help, but wanted to share in case you’re having the same issue I had.

Recently I changed the page file from a secondary drive it was on to a larger C: SSD. However, I had allocated a fixed size page file. Unbeknownst to me, DCS apparently didn’t like this, because I noticed that I was getting basically a black screen (except for the status bar at the bottom) when I joined multiplayer servers like blue flag. Then I had to kill DCS via task manager, etc. A squad buddy had a similar issue and had me change the page file back to Windows (10) controlled (I.e. size).

After that, and a reboot, all was well and I could connect again no problems.

So, the question to you is, have you changed your page file configuration lately?

That's worth a try good call.