[WIP] Proper IFF when?

Capn kamikaze

The current placeholder implementation is next to useless on MP, you see a diamond, then launch, then it turns to a bloody square, then you get kicked because you just shot down a friendly because your IFF said it was an enemy, FFS, if it's going to be a placeholder, then at least for the time being make it so it is more reliable.

IFF works fine in MP. the problem is between the chair and keyboard.

Once you figure out how the IFF works now, maybe you will not shoot down friendlies.

In your description of "it turned square and i already fired on a diamond" sorry i cannot tell you what you did wrong. What aspect was the target? hot/cold? did you put it in your ladder?

Intel i9-9900K 32GB DDR4, RTX 2080tiftw3, Windows 10, 1tb 970 M2, TM Warthog, 4k 144hz HDR g-sync.

Not really, no. Sometimes it bugs, and it's no user fault.

It happened a week ago to me that a diamond turned square at 3 miles. In ladder, hot, not really maneuvering much, in the center of the hud.

Sometimes it just goes mad.

Once you figure out how the IFF works now, maybe you will not shoot down friendlies.

In your description of "it turned square and i already fired on a diamond" sorry i cannot tell you what you did wrong. What aspect was the target? hot/cold? did you put it in your ladder?

IFF can shift back and forth between friendly and hostile at any range and aspect. It happens a lot in MP, so I don't think the problem is between the chair and the keyboard.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Win10 64, Asus Maximus VIII Formula, i5 6600K, Geforce 980 GTX Ti, 32 GB Ram, Samsung EVO SSD.

I have the same issue in Mp. I killed 2 players and I also know how the iff works.

Hostile 20nm, rws lock with the 120c, iff diamant, rifle at 15nm.

5sec later the iff give me a sqaure...splash

Wtf :suspect:

It seems to be a mistake.

i9-11900K, alle Kerne 5100 MHz  –  Asus ROG Maximus XIII Extreme – 64 GB DDR4 3733 MHz Cl17 – NVIDIA Rtx Asus Strix Oc 2080 super (4090 später 🕹️) – Hotas Warthog mit Drossel – Vpc Mongoos T50CM2 & Vpc 200 mm Verlängerung – Vpc ACE Sammlung Pedale -Trackir5

I'm also looking forward to getting a proper IFF implementation with transponder modes and codes.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Will- that is just SO invalid

Windows 10 Pro - 64 Bit / ASUS ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming / AMD 7800X3D / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 64GB DDR5 6000 Ram / SSD M.2 SK hynix Platinum P41 2TB / MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 SUPRIM Liquid X 24G / SteelSeries Arctis 7 Headset /LG-Ultragear 38" IPS LED Ultrawide HD Monitor (3840 x 1600) / Track IR4 / Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Virpil HOTAS VPC Constellation ALPHA-R & VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle

I have the same issue in Mp. I killed 2 players and I also know how the iff works.

Hostile 20nm, rws lock with the 120c, iff diamant, rifle at 15nm.

5sec later the iff give me a sqaure...splash

Wtf :suspect:

It seems to be a mistake.

Thats NOT how the IFF works.

Intel i9-9900K 32GB DDR4, RTX 2080tiftw3, Windows 10, 1tb 970 M2, TM Warthog, 4k 144hz HDR g-sync.

IFF can shift back and forth between friendly and hostile at any range and aspect. It happens a lot in MP, so I don't think the problem is between the chair and the keyboard.

Never said it couldn't shift back and forth... thats why you have to understand how the IFF is implemented in game...

Thats NOT how the IFF works.

What do you mean ?

i9-11900K, alle Kerne 5100 MHz  –  Asus ROG Maximus XIII Extreme – 64 GB DDR4 3733 MHz Cl17 – NVIDIA Rtx Asus Strix Oc 2080 super (4090 später 🕹️) – Hotas Warthog mit Drossel – Vpc Mongoos T50CM2 & Vpc 200 mm Verlängerung – Vpc ACE Sammlung Pedale -Trackir5

I'm also looking forward to getting a proper IFF implementation with transponder modes and codes.

That'll make for some interesting team kill discussions / server boots where people on the same side have the wrong codes entered / wrong mode active.

Cheers.

What do you mean ?

Put the contact in your ladder, it will IFF based on if the the contact is hot or cold will return different results. If the contact is lagging or losing lock will return friendly(even if enemy). This works both ways so if you lock a friendly cold, it will return a diamond IFF in the ladder.

All you told me was you had locked a target at 15nm. that isn't how the iff works.

That'll make for some interesting team kill discussions / server boots where people on the same side have the wrong codes entered / wrong mode active.

As it would IRL

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

Put the contact in your ladder, it will IFF based on if the the contact is hot or cold will return different results. If the contact is lagging or losing lock will return friendly(even if enemy). This works both ways so if you lock a friendly cold, it will return a diamond IFF in the ladder.

All you told me was you had locked a target at 15nm. that isn't how the iff works.

What ? So the IFF works , but is in reality merely a hot/cold detector ? That's your position ?

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

That's why I'm slowly losing faith in humanity because of people like this guy (will-)...

*joke* Svsmokey, cmon man, you didn't know that IFF is a hot/cold detector? Stop trolling mate, IT'S OBVIOUS. *joke*

Seriously, it's the first time I heard something that stupid about IFF. So imagine a plane flying in circles and your IFF is going nuts because the target that you are locked on is going back and forth... If that would be the case IRL we would be seeing a lot of real life teamkills.

Honestly I don't even know why we are trying to explain that to someone who thinks that IFF response is based on heading according to our position.

I pretty much stopped playing F-18 online in PVP servers that don't show friendly contacts on F-10 because it has seemed broken since being implemented. The confusion in this thread with different people having completely different understandings of how it works kinda shows there isn't a guarantee it is working for you in MP even if you're doing things correctly. Does anyone know if the pitch ladder thing is true for the real hornet or just a bug?

I'm not really complaining about IFF because I know it is a WIP but just want to note that people are using it correctly in its current implementation and still experiencing issues.

That's why I'm slowly losing faith in humanity because of people like this guy (will-)...

*joke* Svsmokey, cmon man, you didn't know that IFF is a hot/cold detector? Stop trolling mate, IT'S OBVIOUS. *joke*

Seriously, it's the first time I heard something that stupid about IFF. So imagine a plane flying in circles and your IFF is going nuts because the target that you are locked on is going back and forth... If that would be the case IRL we would be seeing a lot of real life teamkills.

Honestly I don't even know why we are trying to explain that to someone who thinks that IFF response is based on heading according to our position.

I getcha ! This example pales , though , compared to the one in 2.5 / wishlist / aircraft(s) needed , wherein one post suggests that ED obtain intelligence on a current Russian aircraft from the U.S. , a position so breath-takingly clueless as to render me incapable of response . :) (no joke)

Edited by Svsmokey

LOL, I just checked this one out :megalol:. I'm on this forum more or less 1 time per day, just scrolling through threads and there is a lot of situations where I'm like "I don't even know what to say here..." and then I just keep going down the list.

@RShackleford That ladder trick is not true. Maybe it works in DCS, who knows... In real life IFF is actually really simple (only the algorithm for it is top secret). It's like a conversation. You ask "friend or foe?" and you either get a response "friend" or nothing which means "foe" (enemy). Also in real life you can count on AWACS and ask them for confirmation if contact is friendly or not, and it happens quickly, in DCS it's gonna take some time...

@RShackleford That ladder trick is not true. Maybe it works in DCS, who knows... In real life IFF is actually really simple (only the algorithm for it is top secret). It's like a conversation. You ask "friend or foe?" and you either get a response "friend" or nothing which means "foe" (enemy). Also in real life you can count on AWACS and ask them for confirmation if contact is friendly or not, and it happens quickly, in DCS it's gonna take some time...

I understand how it works in fighters in general, which surprised me that there is no info on the radar screen. Mode 1 and 2 is pretty straight forward, you put in a 2 or 4 digit code that gives a response, and fighters can also interrogate if there's any response at all (correct code vs normal response.) 4 and 5 are crypto based, where it can be changed daily and is loaded into the jet pre-flight. In real life F-15s, the data shows on the radar screen showing something like -M2C meaning lack of mode 2 correct code, or -M2N meaning lack of mode 2 squawk of any code. I think for DCS purposes the easiest solution is to give every jet on your team mode 4 and all it would take is to set that as IFF for your jet's interrogator, and if the F-18 has two interrogators like the F-15 then you could set another interrogator to look for mode 2 and have your wingman/flight lead squawk that as well in case Link16 isn't working for easy flight rejoin.

I think you are kneejerking here. I never said how it works IRL. I'm telling how it works in game. Your a shinning example of why im still correct and your still wrong. just trying to help. Probably will not reply anymore, people just don't want to listen.

If it works like that in game = It’s broken... that’s kinda the point we are making. I’ve had contacts go from enemy to friendly back to enemy again all while within 15 miles and all in the pitch ladder. It’s torally unreliable.

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.