Take Off in the Bf 109K-4

iFoxRomeo

Yes,

at cruise power settings the aircraft is a charm to handfly - incredibly stable, and exhibiting neutral stability in pitch - feels like it has FBW :)

And indeed in landing configuration it behaves exactly as you say Yo-Yo, and is very docile and easy to land, provided you get it right in terms of approach, over the threshold and flare speeds!

I am also very satisfied with the ground handling, particlularlly during taxi. It's evident for me that after all the "excessive" torque effects can be readily overcome with the locked tailwheel, and the fact that it is correctly modeled in DCS World's K4 makes a big difference!

Excellent work Yo-Yo !!! Congratulations :) And yes.... she can be a bitch!

P.S: I haven't yet read the Manual ( I should, I know :-/ ) but I guess that there are some important aspects to bare in mind during takeoff:

1) Use Manual Pitch, and set the prop pitch at 12 o'clock, not 12:30 as it tends to default in the Takeoff Quick Mission!

2) Full nose heavy stabilator seems ideal for takeoff ( 2 )

3) Once airborne, change back into Automatic Pitch Control.

Edited by jcomm

Flight Simulation is the Virtual Materialization of a Dream...

I need some training too :)

Well second take off looks strange. I think 109 should stall like the hell after aribone with such wing drop and you should make big boom on the ground like it was with first take off.

Also looking at DavidRed landing i saw that during approach before touch down at speed below 200 kph and nose up position slats were still closed - i think they should be full open. ( in 109 slats open about 200 kph with increasing angle of attack)

Edited by Kwiatek

I was pretty sure he'd crash in that second attempt, but he managed to just get the AOA so he'd still fly.

Cool vid!

But you really shouldn't yank like that on the stick at takeoff. That's what caused the crash on the first attempt I guess.

As for your landing: If your approach isn't good you shouldn't force it. You should have aborted, especially after you bounced the first time. On grass.

• ED Team
Well second take off looks strange. I think 109 should stall like the hell after aribone with such wing drop and you should make big boom on the ground like it was with first take off.

Also looking at DavidRed landing i saw that during approach before touch down at speed below 200 kph and nose up position slats were still closed - i think they should be full open. ( in 109 slats open about 200 kph with increasing angle of attack)

They work not for the dynamic pressure but for AoA. If you do not see them out with flaps it means that the AoA is not high enough.

Ніщо так сильно не ранить мозок, як уламки скла від розбитих рожевих окулярів

There is nothing so hurtful for the brain as splinters of broken rose-coloured spectacles.

Ничто так сильно не ранит мозг, как осколки стекла от разбитых розовых очков (С) Me

Thanks guys !

It was a quick and dirty introduction to the Bf109, you've witnessed my very first minutes with the beast.

My last time flying props in DCS was the Mustang more than a year ago so...I'm a bit rusty, they do not behave quite like jets.

I didn't pulled the stick on take off, the plane did that on its own.

I did not abort my landing because I just had no idea what was the ideal approach speed, stalling speed, etc so I just went for it :D

I guess I have some reading to do now :p

Disable takeoff assistance

Takeoff assistance is defaulted to 100% again, same as it was with the 190. If you're actually trying to maneuver the aircraft on takeoff it just makes things worse.:doh: Now I have an excuse for my early foibles with the 109.:music_whistling:

• Like 1

P-51D | Fw 190D-9 | Bf 109K-4 | Spitfire Mk IX | P-47D | WW2 assets pack | F-86 | Mig-15 | Mig-21 | Mirage 2000C | A-10C II | F-5E | F-16 | F/A-18 | Ka-50 | Combined Arms | FC3 | Nevada | Normandy | Straight of Hormuz | Syria

They work not for the dynamic pressure but for AoA. If you do not see them out with flaps it means that the AoA is not high enough.

I just compared it to RL 109 G-4 landing when in similar position and speed slats were open in it.

But looking at DCS videos with K-4 take off and landing i think it looks very good like real 109 :)

Ohh maby not in second take off in Eight Ball video - i dont think that in real 109 he could recover from such situation :P

The problem is that the real trim was exactly the same we have now regarding the elevator position. In the powered flight the plane was neutral and trim position was stick forward within the whole IAS range.

Curious. I had read a Hungarian 109G pilots memoirs, and his choice of words was excactly that for cruising or high speed - "we are pushin' it". While it could be understand in Hungarian as a phrase meaning doing something really hard, now that with YoYo's comments it seem the old veteran meant that he was literally pushing the stick!:thumbup:

http://www.kurfurst.org - The Messerschmitt Bf 109 Performance Resource Site

Vezérünk a bátorság, Kísérőnk a szerencse!

-Motto of the RHAF 101st 'Puma' Home Air Defense Fighter Regiment

The Answer to the Ultimate Question of the K-4, the Universe, and Everything: Powerloading 550 HP / ton, 1593 having been made up to 31th March 1945, 314 K-4s were being operated in frontline service on 31 January 1945.

@golani:

I think you were too fast, partly because you started your approach pretty high IMO. That'S why you bounced. Still not a bad landing.

@nirvi:

Nice flying, man!

I see you have a similar approach like I have: Start very cautiously, then slowly try pulling some Gs and stalling it.

The landing was.... well, actually ok considering the situation. :)

<== armchair pilot :D

Keep those vids coming, guys! Very cool to watch them while waiting on my own chance to fly the 109!

So...

reading the Manual, English version, it all makes sense now!!!

1) As I noted before, Prop Pitch should be at 12:00, not 12:30, so, better use Manual Prop Pitch for takeoff...

2) ATA 1.35

Takeoff like this, and it'll be a charm!!!!

By the Book!!!!

Now I have to get proficient inflight, and in Combat, before I jump into the DoW Server and smash all of those p51d wings!!!!!

Edited by jcomm

Flight Simulation is the Virtual Materialization of a Dream...

So...

1) As I noted before, Prop Pitch should be at 12:00, not 12:30, so, better use Manual Prop Pitch for takeoff...

2) ATA 1.35

By the Book!!!!

Now I have to get proficient inflight, and in Combat, before I jump into the DoW Server and smash all of those p51d wings!!!!!

I like that by the book !!...I will try that now, because I am having too many failures, as compared to my successful take offs :pilotfly:

So...

2) ATA 1.35

By the Book!!!!

Any mention of trim being used on take off?

For me when i get into the air the aircraft goes very nose high and I have to set trim nose down to two.

Don't ask me for advice on these Two Subjects:

1.. How to Take Off in the Dora!

2.. How to Land the Dora!

UNLESS YOU WANT TO DIE!

That's the spirit! Lol We will work to incorporate the 109 into our missions ASAP and give you plenty of chances to encounter a P-51D

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

[Dogs of War] WWII COMBAT SERVER | P-51D - FW190-D9 - Me109-K4

Visit Our Website & Forum to Get More Info & Team Speak Access

Just had my first takeoff attempt without takeoff assistance. It is much, much easier. This should definitely be 0% by default.

P-51D | Fw 190D-9 | Bf 109K-4 | Spitfire Mk IX | P-47D | WW2 assets pack | F-86 | Mig-15 | Mig-21 | Mirage 2000C | A-10C II | F-5E | F-16 | F/A-18 | Ka-50 | Combined Arms | FC3 | Nevada | Normandy | Straight of Hormuz | Syria

Thanks for finding this, it was messing me up too.:thumbup:

Ask Jesus for Forgiveness before you takeoff :pilotfly:!

PC=Win 10 HP 64 bit, Gigabyte Z390, Intel I5-9600k, 32 gig ram, Nvidia 2060 Super 8gig video. TM HOTAS WARTHOG with Saitek Pedals