Kneeboard Builder (windows app)

AlaskanGrizzly

Anyone try this in VR yet ? Wondering on how say the text is displayed if it's legible or hard to read? I am interesting in using for things like manuals or guides that are in PDF.

Yes, since well over a year exclusively.

How easy it is to read depends on ... everything. But I can say, if the PDF you use to import into KBB has good clear text, and you can read it well on a monitor, you should have no issues in VR. I try to use about 12 instead of 10 DPI, but that's about the only thing I might suggest, although I have one doc where most text is 10 and I cannot recall any issues reading it.

Try it out and see what works for you. Sometimes trying is better than asking ;)

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

Ok before I saw the replies I tried increasing the resolution in the app for the kneeboard, and that took care of it - the text is very clear to read now.

I increased from the default of 150 to 180.

Thanks so much for this great program! Going to be very handy in going through things like the startup checklist whilst in VR.

Also for Chuck's guide or manual while I am learning more of the F - 18C!

Also thanks for the feedback guys!

Edited by dburne

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I'd be curious to see how the high-res kneeboard looks, Don!

Ugh - well it did look great, but today's DCS update wiped everything I did out apparently.

Will see if I can get it done again.

Augh struggling with it now, will try and get it worked out tomorrow. Seems like I got the kneeboard all screwed up now after today's update.

Edited by dburne

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Well I have spent hours trying and trying to get the kneeboard display in the headset back to where it was that one time, and have failed. Going to take a break for a bit and come back to it in perhaps a few days. Really have no idea how I got it so good just that one time with such nice clarity. Have not been able to duplicate it yet.

Don B

Still trying to figure this one out and it is pulling my hair out now.

So I deleted everything within the Kneeboard Builder, then deleted the Kneeboard Builder, did a repair of DCS Open Beta which I thought would clean any leftovers up.

Yet I load up the Hornet and still the kneeboard I developed with the startup guide still shows up in the kneeboard in the game... anyone have any idea why this would be?

In reading the manual it states everything should have been in the Saved Games folder? I have browsed through the games folders and do not see anything related to kneeboard.

Those files are apparently still in the game structure somewhere but darn if I can figure it out.

Any ideas?

Thanks for any help,

Don B

.. In reading the manual it states everything should have been in the Saved Games folder? I have browsed through the games folders and do not see anything related to kneeboard.

Strange .. on my case, the Kneeboard Builder utility places the images on a folder named "FA-18C_hornet", that is inside a folder named "Kneeboard", inside "DCS.openbeta", inside "Saved Games" ("Juegos Guardados" on my spanish version of Windows), like this:

EeGC1yU.jpg

Hope you can fix this.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Ok apparently I had missed some files, got them deleted out and did another repair of DCS, original Kneeboard is restored. I had also searched for all Kneeboard files and there were some that came up that were listed in the game directory rather than saved games folder, that showed modified in the last three days. So I deleted those out prior to doing the repair. This may well be why I was struggling getting it working right again. Not sure how I managed to do that as I know they should all only be in the saved games folder.

Maybe I will have another look at trying it again tomorrow. I am determined to try and get it back to how good I had it that one time for VR. I so want to be able to access those guides etc from within VR.

Will update after I do have another go with it.

Edited by dburne

Don B

Well gang I am going to have to throw in the towel here.

First I want to say this is an awesome program! So nice to be able to easily insert manuals, image, etc into a custom kneeboard for each aircraft. If i were flying using my monitor rather than VR I would be using this alot! Many thanks to the author for providing this program for us!! My reflections below are not a reflection on the program itself in any way.

I have spent already many hours trying to get this resolved for VR to no avail. Many removing of files, DCS repairs, installing of files, etc. The problem is the text is too blurry for me to be able to read easily. I have now spent like three days on this issue.

To recap: The first time I used this program earlier this week, after first running it it was blurry as described above. I then went in and changed in the settings for Kneeboard Builder, the resolution from 150 to 180. Also changed a little the offset resolution and position of the kneeboard in the preferences tab of kneeboard builder. Loaded the Hornet back up, and voila! The text in Chucks Hornet Guide was very nice and easily readable. I was so excited.

Not long after, I launched DCS again and was prompted for an update. I went ahead and updated. Ever since, everything changed. Text became blurry again. Increasing the resolution in settings of Kneeboard Builder did not have any effect at all. Settings in preferences did not seem to have an effect, with the exception it would cut off half the kneeboard in the VR display but text still blurry.

I am at a loss. No idea why it worked the first time so great for me, but no matter what I have tried I can not duplicate it again. No idea if it was the Open Beta update that caused this or not. I am just stumped.

Anyway, have removed all files and done a repair of DCS once more and going to leave it at least for now. It was awesome for me the little time I had it like I wanted, maybe someday I will be able to do so again. For now I just can not get it done. It was so nice to have easy access to the information I wanted to view whilst in VR from within the cockpit.

Don B

Hot dang I got it!

So apparently what I was doing that was confusing me, was after making changes the program needs to be restarted. Once I started doing that after modifying my profile and making any changes in settings, everything was working fine in regards to moving and resizing the kneeboard and increasing the dpi in the settings. Now I have a nice large crystal clear custom kneeboard in my Hornet with easy access to Chuck's Guide.

In this kneeboard I selected just his Startup steps and printed to a new PDF file, and inserted as a custom kneeboard for the Hornet. So I will use that for my checklist in starting up the Hornet. I will do the same with other steps he has for different functions in the Hornet. And never need to remove the headset - nice !

I captured a screenshot, however that is the mirror image of one eye displayed on monitor so it really is not a good representation of how clear and large it is in the headset.

kl9faUf.jpg

Below are my profile settings to get the kneeboard to this point:

Vky9OTl.jpg

In the Kneeboard Builder Preferences I have my PDF Import Resolution set to 220 dpi.

Note I have a Rift S, so a different device with different resolution may need slightly different settings.

So anyway I guess perseverance paid off, I am thrilled now to be able to use this in VR so easily!

Many thanks again to AlaskanGrizzly for this most awesome program!

And to Chuck for these awesome guides he puts out for us!

Now I got some serious Hornet learning and flying to do - gotta make up for the last three days LOL.

• Like 1

Don B

Below are my profile settings to get the kneeboard to this point:

In the Kneeboard Builder Preferences I have my PDF Import Resolution set to 220 dpi.

Note I have a Rift S, so a different device with different resolution may need slightly different settings.

Thanks a lot for sharing your settings .. will give them a try on my Rift CV1 :)

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Thanks a lot for sharing your settings .. will give them a try on my Rift CV1 :)

You are most welcome. Holler if you have any questions.

I just did my very first Hornet cold start, it was on the carrier.

I used Chuck's Startup routine displayed in my headset, and successfully got through it along with taxi, hookup, and takeoff - all without taking the headset off which was great.

Granted it took me a while, but as I continue to repeat the process and get familiar with where all the switches are I should get better at it.

But it was a blast!

Don B

That looks super cool! Well done! :)

Thank you ! It is working out great for me.

Pretty soon I will have all your procedures segmented into their own kneeboards and finally learn the Hornet.

Don B

Can you add support for MB-339 to KB, please?

SYSTEM: Mainboard MSI MEG X570 | CPU Ryzen 7 5800X @ 4.5 GHz | RAM 64 GB @ 3200 MHz | GPU GIGABYTE RTX 4090 | 1 TB SSD | Win 10 x64

DEVICES: ASUS 27" LCD | TrackIR 5 | LukeClip | Quest 3 | PointCTRL | Virpil HOTAS | MFG Crosswind | TableMount MonsterTech

MODULES: To much to list. But I stopped buying more, because of too much bugs in e.g. A-10C(II). @ED: Fix the bugs and I spend money on modules again. Promised.

PROJECTS: OpenFlightSchool: DE / EN

Blank Pages

I'm a new user, just downloaded and tried my first kneeboard.

Not sure what is happening but it seems that the 3 lua files are creating 3 blank pages when viewing the kneeboard in the sim. Any suggestions on how to fix this?

DCS World 2.5, creating a kneeboard for the F-18.

Thanks for any help.

knee.png.16c9034dd0f23a5c586bbd7f16e2deed.png

Ok what did I do wrong

---------------------------

Kneeboard Builder is lacking permissions to modify DCS files.Please try running Kneeboard Builder as an Administrator

Use Ctrl + C to copy this error and e-mail it to s13solutions@gmail.com :

System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path 'C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\Mods\terrains\Caucasus\Kneeboard_orig' is denied.

at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)

at System.IO.Directory.InternalCreateDirectory(String fullPath, String path, Object dirSecurityObj, Boolean checkHost)

at System.IO.Directory.InternalCreateDirectoryHelper(String path, Boolean checkHost)

at KneeboardBuilder.Viewmodels.MainViewModel.CreateDefaultGroups()

at KneeboardBuilder.Viewmodels.MainViewModel.Initilization()

at KneeboardBuilder.Viewmodels.MainViewModel..ctor()

at KneeboardBuilder.Views.MainView..ctor()

OK

306th TFS Home of the "WILDHARE's" :pilotfly::gun_sniper: A10,F-14, F-15, F16, F18, AV88, UH1,KA 50, Oculus Rift ,Hotas Warthog, Stable & Beta, VRK :: AMD Ryzen 7 2700 Eight Core 3.2 ghz, RAM- 32 GB, GeForce GTX 1070

OK I did not see the "run as Administrator" ill try that first!

306th TFS Home of the "WILDHARE's" :pilotfly::gun_sniper: A10,F-14, F-15, F16, F18, AV88, UH1,KA 50, Oculus Rift ,Hotas Warthog, Stable & Beta, VRK :: AMD Ryzen 7 2700 Eight Core 3.2 ghz, RAM- 32 GB, GeForce GTX 1070

OK I did not see the "run as Administrator" ill try that first!

Or install Kneeboard Builder outside of the program files folder.

I have mine installed to C:/Kneeboard Builder.

Don B

"I had to use 'custom' as the DCS version and path to get it working (and as admin)"

That was it. Thanks.

I've tried using "Open Beta and Custom but I still cannot click on Modify and I do run it as admin. The install location id the default on the "C" drive. I might have missed something along the way, over 130 pages and my eyes are old . . .

Any help would be appreciated.

UPDATE:

The last thing I did was change back to Openbeta in the preferences and closed KBB and reopened it and now it worked . . .

Edited by Animal451

ASUS Strix Z370-E, i7 8700k @ 5 GHz, ASUS Strix GTX 1080 TI, 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4 3200 MHz, Corsair H100i, WD 1TB SSD

I've tried using "Open Beta and Custom but I still cannot click on Modify and I do run it as admin. The install location id the default on the "C" drive. I might have missed something along the way, over 130 pages and my eyes are old . . .

Any help would be appreciated.

UPDATE:

The last thing I did was change back to Openbeta in the preferences and closed KBB and reopened it and now it worked . . .

I found out the hard way that most changes in kneeboard builder, best to close and re-open the program after making a change. I had about given up on it till I figured that part out.

Don B

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

Can I use this tool and create a Kneeboard set locat on the pilot knees?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

IAF Bell205

IAF Anafa

-----------------------

DCS World Modules: A-10C, FC3, MiG-21BiS, F-86, P-51, KA-50, UH-1H Huey, Mi-8, M2000K, Gazal, Bf109, Mig-15, Hawk and NTTR

-----------------------

My System - ASUS Maximus HERO iiiv, CoolMaster 120 Sadion Plus, I7 -6700K @4.0, G.Skill ddr4 16GB ram, Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 , PSU Seasonic X-650W, OCZ 150 500Gb ssd drive X2, Seagate 7200 1T X2.

-------------

i have a problem .... when i enable "Dynamic Mission Briefing" i get 2 or 3 empty page transparent with only the border after "Dynamic Mission Briefing"

Same here... don't know why tho... this also seems to be random, or mission dependent... some missions simply generate the whole pages.

Also, the beacons pages also do the same, they are either all blank (transparent) or tend to generate some blank pages. Weird.