[REPORTED] AUTO issues after shutting AUTO off

TomCatMucDe

Hi,

Attached a track.

If you select Auto Waypoint, and have the next waypoint as WP2 for example. If then you scroll up to WP 3 before you fly over WP2, and then come back to WP2 (or any other waypoint), when you fly over WP2, the Auto waypoint will select WP4 (it increments based on the highest waypoint you happen to scroll through) and not WP3.

It is not a high prio bug, but worth looking at it if it is a low hanging fruit.

Auto Waypoint Bug.trk

Edited by TomCatMucDe

+1 to the sometimes erattic auto waypoint behaviour

(Don't know if my reply to this thread helps to get it on the "acknowledged bugs" list, but it's worth a shot :P)

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

Auto Waypoint Switching - Getting out of sequence?

I've been flying the CF-188 Red Flag user mission and finding the auto waypoint stepping odd. I am not sure if I am doing this wrong, there's a fix, this is how it really is, etc.

I have SEQ1 and AUTO boxed. I am fine during the navigation phase with the waypoint stepping to the next as expected. However, in Sally Corridor, we deviate to the tanke and then direct to waypoint 5 (skipping 4). If I continue this way, after every waypoint it was to make waypoint 5 next (even after passing waypoint, 6, 7, 8, 9, etc.). If I fly to waypoint 4, then 5, it stays in sequence. However marshall and push points are close together, so the system advances to waypoint 7 (ingress) while marshalling at 5. If I step backwards to 5 or 6, it keeps auto next to 8, 9, 10, etc.

I was thinking this would automatically advanced to waypoint n+1, so I could either go skip a waypoint in sequence on the HSI and it would auto advance to the next, or I could go backwards and reset.

Is this not how it works in the real bird? And if so, is there some workaround to skip to a later waypoint or revert to an earlier and now mess the whole sequence up?

I've reported this anomoly in the bug section a couple of times over the last few months, but it's never been officially acknowledge or reported as far as I'm aware. Go over to the bugs section and make your voice heard.

Check out my 'real world'

video series

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

There is something even in the "auto change waypoint" behavior that I dont understand ( maybe its just how it works).

Sometimes I get the auto-change within the 0.2 nm , other times I get when I reach 1.5 nm ... I dont quite understand how the system is supposed to work.

I can provide the track if it can help.

Could it be the Mission Editor waypoint type used in the mission? On p. 129 of the User Guide, (see screenshot below), the two types of waypoint related settings are Turning Point and Fly Over Point. The M.E. behavior for Turning Point is that the aircraft will “turn short” of the waypoint so as to roll out on centerline of the next leg segment. The M.E. behavior for Fly Over Point is that the aircraft will fly over the waypoint and then correct back to centerline of the next leg segment.

Whether the DCS F-18 avionics can override these M.E. Settings of the mission builder, I am not sure. Also, Radius of Turn, (ROT), is affected by airspeed. Faster airspeed produces greater ROT. If you’re flying faster into the waypoint, a greater ROT is produced which requires you to turn earlier to roll out on centerline of the next leg segment. Also not sure about aircraft status as AI vs. player controlled. I realize that this discussion is centered on player flown aircraft. Hope that helps. Testing to ensue. :)

25g8c4n.jpg

Edited by Backy 51

I don't need no stinkin' GPS! (except for PGMs :D) :pilotfly:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

After having inserted more then 14 WP's. Then, when flying the FP & passing WP14 I switch to SEQ2 (boxed) but the AUTO change doesn't work.

Edited by CoBlue

i7 8700k@4.7, 1080ti, DDR4 32GB, 2x SSD , HD 2TB, W10, ASUS 27", TrackIr5, TMWH, X-56, GProR.

There is something even in the "auto change waypoint" behavior that I dont understand ( maybe its just how it works).

Sometimes I get the auto-change within the 0.2 nm , other times I get when I reach 1.5 nm ... I dont quite understand how the system is supposed to work.

I can provide the track if it can help.

Waypoint change is supposed to happen when distance is increasing and within some limit (2nm?). So changeover should happen at your closest approach which will be different depending on your situation. It should never change while your distance to waypoint continues to decrease.

The only point of confusion is if it's required that the closure flip sign or is it simply enough that the distance is increasing. You can imagine a waypoint2 and waypoint3 placed in such a way that the moment waypoint 2 is passed and changes over to waypoint3 the airplane is already within the changeover radius. Let's also assume that the airplane is also increasing distance from waypoint3 at this moment.

Should the waypoint immediately changeover again to waypoint4? If the logic only checked that distance was increasing and within radius then the answer is yes. If the logic requires that the distance actually change from decreasing to increasing then the answer is no.

• 6 months later...

Still getting this annoying bug? and it's been reported numerous times with no official acknowledge despite tracks being attached and multiple reports.

Check out my 'real world'

video series

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Has this bug been [REPORTED] at all?

If it's not a bug, then come someone explain this behaviour?

Simple example, if flying from WP1 to WP2 with AUTO, SEQ and WYPT selected (and directing to WP2), if I deselect AUTO, then switch it back on, when I reach WP2, the sequence changes to WP1! Obviously, if AUTO is supposed to steer to the NEXT waypoint, then it should move to WP3.

Maybe we're missing something.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

• ED Team

This is what we are seeing, and appears to be working as expected. If your bearing to the waypont has a bearing less than 90 degrees, it acts as a fly over point. If you pass to either side of the waypoint over a bearing of 90 degrees, then it acts as a turn point with a 5 nm diameter around the waypoint.

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

NL, not sure I understand what you mean, but there is something not right here. If AUTO is on, switched off and back on again, when the designated WP is reached, AUTO does not change to the next one. Often, it changes to WP1 regardless of where it was in the sequence to start with.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

• ED Team
NL, not sure I understand what you mean, but there is something not right here. If AUTO is on, switched off and back on again, when the designated WP is reached, AUTO does not change to the next one. Often, it changes to WP1 regardless of where it was in the sequence to start with.

My message was to those talking about fly over behaviour, there is something wrong with turning AUTO on and off, and at the end of a flight plan as well.

Also, if you guys are going to add to a bug report like this, I appreciate new tracks as well.

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

I don't know if it's only a work around or if it is true for the real thing:

whenever your auto WP jumps back to WP1 let the auto mode stay ON and do a manual WP step to the WP you are at the moment.

auto WP will immediately jump to next WP and stays working as desired for all following WPs.

you can do this with/at every WP of the sequence.

Sorry, I didn't realise that this was new info. Here is a track showing the AUTO switching issue.

Travelling from WP1 to WP2, switching AUTO off and then back on after a few seconds, makes AUTO jump back to WP1 rather than WP3 when passing over WP2.

I don't know if it's only a work around or if it is true for the real thing:

whenever your auto WP jumps back to WP1 let the auto mode stay ON and do a manual WP step to the WP you are at the moment.

auto WP will immediately jump to next WP and stays working as desired for all following WPs.

you can do this with/at every WP of the sequence.

Hmm, this doesn't work for me. It is not possible to select every WP manually when this goes wrong.

The best way of demonstrating the issue is to run the Waypoint Navigation Training Mission, as it has loads of waypoints a short distance from each other. Don't have to listen to Wags every time, just put Active Pause OFF at the start.

BTW, the first 3 WPs are not working correctly, so wait till you get past WP3 to test switching AUTO off and ON.

Hmm, this doesn't work for me. It is not possible to select every WP manually when this goes wrong.

You should not select every WP. You should just go to the WP you are at when auto jumps to WP1.

E.g. you are heading for WP3. As soon as you reach it auto switches to WP1 (instead of WP4). You only have to switch manually from WP1 to WP3 and auto immediately switches to WP4 and thereafter it continues as desired.

You should not select every WP. You should just go to the WP you are at when auto jumps to WP1.

E.g. you are heading for WP3. As soon as you reach it auto switches to WP1 (instead of WP4). You only have to switch manually from WP1 to WP3 and auto immediately switches to WP4 and thereafter it continues as desired.

Sorry, I didn’t mean I was trying every WP! I just meant that all were not selectable, including the one I just passed at times.

This method doesn’t work for me.