Any suggestions for a training plan?

xvii-Dietrich

I recently bought the P51D and the Charwood campaign, and I'm looking forward to flying it. However, I have very little experience with the P51D and what little I had, I've mostly forgotten. (I do have loads of experience with the 109 and 190 though). Anyway, the lack of experience gave me an idea.

What I want to do, is set myself a training regime, learn on the TF51D first, and then train on the P51D. Then, when I've completed my training, I'll start the campaign. I've been experimenting with the Mission Editor, and am comfortable building test missions, training ranges, target practice etc.. So, the question is how much practice should I give myself?

• How much training did real WW2 P51 pilots get before they went into combat?
  • Was there taxiing-training first? If so, how much?
  • Did they do touch-and-go type training flights?
  • How many flight hours did they get in the TF51D trainer?
  • How many flight hours solo in the actual P51D?
  • Did they use practice ranges? Or fire off live ammunition?

Based on this, I can make up an historical training regime. So any information or suggestions would be most welcome! Thanks.

PS: I've also seen a few historical training videos (e.g.

). Does anyone know of any other good immersive material that I could use?

I recently bought the P51D and the Charwood campaign, and I'm looking forward to flying it. However, I have very little experience with the P51D and what little I had, I've mostly forgotten. (I do have loads of experience with the 109 and 190 though). Anyway, the lack of experience gave me an idea.

What I want to do, is set myself a training regime, learn on the TF51D first, and then train on the P51D. Then, when I've completed my training, I'll start the campaign. I've been experimenting with the Mission Editor, and am comfortable building test missions, training ranges, target practice etc.. So, the question is how much practice should I give myself?

Based on this, I can make up an historical training regime. So any information or suggestions would be most welcome! Thanks.

PS: I've also seen a few historical training videos (e.g.

). Does anyone know of any other good immersive material that I could use?

Interesting! From most of the history that I’ve read most squadrons had about a years worth of overall training. However, that training including primary and combat training in an assortment of aircraft. There was no TF51 at all. The first time most squads set foot in a P51 was when they got to Europe with their squadron. Then they would do a few weeks of intensive training flights in the actual P51 learning takeoffs, landings, emergencies and combat employment. There where other units in theatre that transitioned from other combat aircraft to the mustang but they would typically have far more training and combat experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Somebody out there probably know better, but AFAIK,

·400 flight hours at the end of the conflict. 300-350 at start.

·Nope, they learnt in trainers first.

·Probably no at the time they reach front line fighters, see answer above.

·TF-51 trainer probably arrived very late at war time, or it's a post-war invention. They soloed only with previous trainers experience.

·Not much probably previous to their front line service. We all know Spits were flown only 7-10 hours before pilots went into combat during BoB, but later on it was probably quite more.

·Dunno ranges, I don't think so since those are fighters not bombers (bombers did bomb training), but they shot towed targets AFAIK.

And all of that is why some people (very few) ask for a trainer in DCS while most people think it's better to crash and refly all of the time until you learn or quit the simulator :D.

S!

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

Yes, keep in mind my time frame was reference to American fighter squadrons. The BOB boys where barely out of diapers. It took a special kind of either courage, stupidity or both to jump in a Spitfire for the first time after only a hand full of flight hours. It’s crazy when you think about the fact that both the mustangs and Spitfire where so new that there where no training versions of either. The first time a pilot flew them where solo. Says a lot about the resolve of the British and American airmen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

You're being FAR too formal about this. It's a PC flight simulator; jump right in and fly the thing around!

If you want, you can put the flight manual on a smartphone, tablet PC etc. etc. and display it so that you can check it out while fiddling with stuff the P-51's cockpit. But, I find the most entertaining way to get into a new module is to just hop in and start messing around with everything on the ramp :) As questions pop up, I fly the training missions and consult the manual. You said you've flown the 109 and 190 a lot; these WW2 machines are all very similar in form and function, and the major difference is the location of all the buttons and switches. Everything essentially works the same way.

No need to be so organized and formal about it. Fire up a mission and amuse yourself :)

AD

Kit:

B550 Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5800X w/ Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE, 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury DDR4 @3600MHz C16, Gigabyte RTX 3070 Windforce 8GB, EVGA SuperNova 750 G2 PSU, HP Omen 32" 2560x1440, Thrustmaster Cougar HOTAS fitted with Leo Bodnar's BU0836A controller.

--Flying is the art of throwing yourself at the ground, and having all the rules and regulations get in the way!

If man was meant to fly, he would have been born with a lot more money!

Yes, keep in mind my time frame was reference to American fighter squadrons. The BOB boys where barely out of diapers. It took a special kind of either courage, stupidity or both to jump in a Spitfire for the first time after only a hand full of flight hours. It’s crazy when you think about the fact that both the mustangs and Spitfire where so new that there where no training versions of either. The first time a pilot flew them where solo. Says a lot about the resolve of the British and American airmen.

True but think that this is happening even today. For instance agricultural pilots don't usually have two seater versions and so they just jump in and solo with their previous experience in other types alone. Anyway it's crazy going into combat like that of course.

S!

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice