Help me land the F14.

Xthedarkknight99x

Here, I hope this helps. I recorded this super quickly for someone who had the same question, so I made a couple mistakes like calling the AOA indexer AOA indicator and such, but I put all of this in the description, please read it.

Heatblur Simulations

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

http://www.heatblur.com/

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

So DLC system is available even though flaps are full down?

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | DIY Collective | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | 2x bass shakers pedal plate| SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2 | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle

So DLC system is available even though flaps are full down?

DLC is available only with flaps and gear down and throttle not in afterburner zones.

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

DLC is available only with flaps and gear down and throttle not in afterburner zones.

But in HB training mission about takeoff, you must deploy DLC for taking off with no flaps whatsover.

However I understand landing with no flaps is a big NO-NO, even with DLC deployed full forward.

So my question is, once I get flaps full down, am I able to use DLC?

Right now I have mapped flaps up and down, no middle ground.

Should I use an axis instead for analogic control of flaps?

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | DIY Collective | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | 2x bass shakers pedal plate| SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2 | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle

But in HB training mission about takeoff, you must deploy DLC for taking off with no flaps whatsover.

However I understand landing with no flaps is a big NO-NO, even with DLC deployed full forward.

I would have to ckeck the mission because I don't think DLC has anything to do with the take off. There has to be some misunderstanding.

Yes, landing without flaps is an emergency situation.

Again, DLC is available only with the flaps down!

In the RL Tomcat flaps were used binary anyway - either full down or retracted completely. I use an axis for this but I always extend them fully anyway.

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

I would have to ckeck the mission because I don't think DLC has anything to do with the take off. There has to be some misunderstanding.

Yes, landing without flaps is an emergency situation.

Again, DLC is available only with the flaps down!

In the RL Tomcat flaps were used binary anyway - either full down or retracted completely. I use an axis for this but I always extend them fully anyway.

Thanks

I believe you are mistaking the spoilers up with Spoiler/Brks on for DLC since DLC will not deploy unless you are in the following configuration...

Gear Down

Flaps Down

Power less than Mil

So once the flaps are down, activate DLC.

I have my DLC mapped to my slew axis, but truly use it in more of a ban bang, on off sort of way. I may hold it up or down full hasten a change in descent rate in conjunction with a throttle change.

As for Flaps, aside from the maneuvering flaps, (which incidentally is controlled by the same DLC controls when NOT in the landing configuration I listed above) are up or down...full or none.

VF-31 Tomcatters

vf31-cat.jpg

http://www.csg-1.com/ | Discord

I'll try with pitch control instead of roll control to compare, might be better. I found it more logical to change the roll since you get a smooth and constant turn rate in the horizontal plane, making separation with the boat more consistent.

I'll compare both in Tacview and will report.

This is part of the reason why I am not reducing to idle during the break, she's already a handfull and having to change roll, pitch, speedbrake, gear and flaps is already enough for me without having to deal with throttle also. Consider it a shortcut.

Since two FM changes ago I stopped balooning, there is a thread regarding FM changes by fat_creason that ironed out this issue:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=245762&page=3

I'm not an ex fighter pilot, but I did stay at a Holiday in Express last night...and I have flow a plane or two...So...

I would recommend you take her up and set yourself a hard deck and practice the break as well as and possibly more important...configuration changes to the landing config. Get the feel for how pitch and power have their effects. I was once told the Case I recovery is primarily an instrument turn and procedure until you are rolling into the groove, so I work it that way.

My general sequence of the break...

-HUD OFF

-About 385 IAS entry 800AGL

-Idle

-Speed brake full

-Bank angle...whatever I need to maintain level turn...this will vary as speed falls off and you unload through the turn and the wings move forward. Reference VSI, VDI and windscreen picture for awareness.

-Roughly 45 into the turn wings to auto...they will start forward

Speed should then be falling into the VLO range roughly 90 into the turn

-Gear out as I approach 250 IAS

-Now approaching 180 in the turn and BRC Reciprocal

Start bringing in power (not too much) as speed will decay as gear extends

Start pitching up to slow and work for On Speed

Flaps out as I approach 200 IAS - anticipate and counter two things

-balloon

-speed decay

-DLC on

-As she is settling up, adjust power and pitch for trimmed AOA

-Descend into the pattern 600AGL

-As you turn in after the round down, give a bump in power as you roll into the turn (remember you rudder, KEEP it coordinated!!) and let her settle out.

-Adjust DLC as needed.

Remember....

Pitch ALWAYS controls airspeed

Power ALWAYS controls descent rate

***Trick is not to EVER get behind the aircraft and anticipate power needed to control descent at any point in the approach. If you get her trimmed for proper AOA in the downwind, life is easier as you enter the groove.

If you ever have to add a ton of power to correct and push up to Mil...you just borked the approach as DLC and Speed Brakes will stow and configuration is now all sideways. You can recover, but truly if you get to that point, a go around is in order.

I hope this helps....Good luck and have fun!

VF-31 Tomcatters

vf31-cat.jpg

I believe you are mistaking the spoilers up with Spoiler/Brks on for DLC since DLC will not deploy unless you are in the following configuration...

Gear Down

Flaps Down

Power less than Mil

So once the flaps are down, activate DLC.

I have my DLC mapped to my slew axis, but truly use it in more of a ban bang, on off sort of way. I may hold it up or down full hasten a change in descent rate in conjunction with a throttle change.

As for Flaps, aside from the maneuvering flaps, (which incidentally is controlled by the same DLC controls when NOT in the landing configuration I listed above) are up or down...full or none.

You mean the Spoilers/brakes than deploy while taxing with throttle to idle? No.

I mean some kind of leading edge slats and flaps a few degrees down before taking off. They are easy to see because of the red paint that shows up when deflected. DLC down, red paint is seen, DLC up, the wing gets back to her normal profile.

I took these screenshots from the forementioned Takeoff from shore-based training mission provided by Heatblur

Flaps full down

fBYlPmj.jpg

This is with what I think it´s a "Flaps up - DLC down" setting. Tutorial says the Cat is able to takeoff like that (light Cat for this mission). However most of you concur DLC can´t get be used unless flaps are down. Also note the tutorial caption saying "thumbwheel on the stick" and mentioning no need to flaps down for taking off.

RZ9vdOv.jpg

Cockpit view so you can see the flaps indicators is slighty down

VBYSkCq.jpg

I checked both Case I and Shore Take off tutorials and only mention of "DLC" were in Shore Take off, but even then it was only about DLC thumbwheel which happen to also control maneuvering flaps :thumbup:

You're confusing the DLC system (Direct Lift Control for landings) with the DLC/maneuvering flaps thumbwheel use. The thumbwheel controls both but not at the same time. You still don't use DLC system for take off but you touch the same control wheel to set maneuvering flaps. Is that clear?

Thumbwheel on the stick:

http://www.heatblur.se/F-14Manual/cockpit.html#control-stick

DLC system:

http://www.heatblur.se/F-14Manual/general.html#dlc-direct-lift-control

As you read the manual stay there for more on different types of flaps:

http://www.heatblur.se/F-14Manual/general.html#flaps-and-slats

Edited by draconus

Tundra, the confusion stems from the fact that the DLC controls on the stick actually command two (well, three if you count countermeasure deployment) systems:

- with flaps down, DLC controls command the spoilers and slats for landing;

- with flaps up, DLC rotary controls command the maneuvering flaps, the degree-limited deployment of flaps to improve turn rate at high AOA (pardon any mistakes in techical jargon, I'm not a fighter pilot!);

- with flaps up DLC pushbutton commands the deployment of countermeasures by the pilot.

So, as you can see, the same set of physical controls have different function depending on the situation you're on.

I checked both Case I and Shore Take off tutorials and only mention of "DLC" were in Shore Take off, but even then it was only about DLC thumbwheel which happen to also control maneuvering flaps :thumbup:

You're confusing the DLC system (Direct Lift Control for landings) with the DLC/maneuvering flaps thumbwheel use. The thumbwheel controls both but not at the same time. You still don't use DLC system for take off but you touch the same control wheel to set maneuvering flaps. Is that clear?

Thumbwheel on the stick:

http://www.heatblur.se/F-14Manual/cockpit.html#control-stick

DLC system:

http://www.heatblur.se/F-14Manual/general.html#dlc-direct-lift-control

As you read the manual stay there for more on different types of flaps:

http://www.heatblur.se/F-14Manual/general.html#flaps-and-slats

Tundra, the confusion stems from the fact that the DLC controls on the stick actually command two (well, three if you count countermeasure deployment) systems:

- with flaps up, DLC rotary controls command the maneuvering flaps, the degree-limited deployment of flaps to improve turn rate at high AOA (pardon any mistakes in techical jargon, I'm not a fighter pilot!);

- with flaps up DLC pushbutton commands the deployment of countermeasures by the pilot.

So, as you can see, the same set of physical controls have different function depending on the situation you're on.

Appreciated both answers, thanks guys, massive n00b here :pilotfly:

You mean the Spoilers/brakes than deploy while taxing with throttle to idle? No.

I mean some kind of leading edge slats and flaps a few degrees down before taking off. They are easy to see because of the red paint that shows up when deflected. DLC down, red paint is seen, DLC up, the wing gets back to her normal profile.

I took these screenshots from the forementioned Takeoff from shore-based training mission provided by Heatblur

Flaps full down

fBYlPmj.jpg

This is with what I think it´s a "Flaps up - DLC down" setting. Tutorial says the Cat is able to takeoff like that (light Cat for this mission). However most of you concur DLC can´t get be used unless flaps are down. Also note the tutorial caption saying "thumbwheel on the stick" and mentioning no need to flaps down for taking off.

RZ9vdOv.jpg

Cockpit view so you can see the flaps indicators is slighty down

VBYSkCq.jpg

Tundra...those two images illustrate...Full Flaps, and what looks to be full or partial Maneuvering Flaps. When extending either Flap mode it will program the leadgin edge slats to extend accordingly.

VF-31 Tomcatters

vf31-cat.jpg

With Flaps down, The DLC switch ONLY commands the DLC "inboard spoilers" up or down. It has ZERO effect on flaps or slats

It is called Dynamic Lift Control because it does just that...it spoils lift without re configuring the wing and affecting AOA "much", or Airspeed.

Aeronautical Nerdery here.... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spoiler_(aeronautics)

Edited by jv44bubi

VF-31 Tomcatters

vf31-cat.jpg