Spac3Rat

Thank you!

Spoiler

W10-x64 | Z390 Gigabyte Aorus Ultra | Core i7 9700K @ 4.8Ghz | Noctua NH-D15

Corsair 32Gb 3200 | MSI RTX 3080ti Gaming X

Asus Xonar AE | TM Hotas Warthog

MFG Crosswind pedals | Valve Index

Good read. Thanks for sharing the link.

Cooler Master HAF XB EVO , ASUS P8Z77-V, i7-3770K @ 4.6GHz, Noctua AC, 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, EVGA 1080TI 11GB, 2 Samsung 840 Pro 540GB SSDs Raid 0, 1TB HDD, EVGA SuperNOVA 1300W PS, G930 Wireless SS Headset, TrackIR5/Wireless Proclip, TM Warthog, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, 75" Samsung 4K QLED, HP Reverb G2, Win 10

"in the interest of full disclosure, I’ve never flown the UH-1H. "

It would be nice to add the full quote, since it makes sense and provides a better understanding of his experience:

"In the interest of full disclosure, I’ve never flown the UH-1H. But, up until about 10 years ago, the U.S. Army did all of its preliminary instrument flight training in UH-1 simulators. I went though U.S. Army flight training about 12 years ago, so I was among the Last of my generation of Army Pilots to “enjoy” IFR training in the Huey simulators before they were phased out. This didn’t give me a completely accurate knowledge of the flight characteristics, but it did give me a good idea of the aircraft systems."

• Like 2

Sérgio Costa

HeliSimmer editor and founder

www.helisimmer.com

That was a good article. I'll definitely need to pick up the Huey next.

Oui! It's an awesome Whirlybird sim! a must have. ;)

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

• 6 months later...

I've been flying helicopter's in real life for 31 years, various variants of the Huey for 12 years. I flew SH60B's in the Navy for twenty years, then my last 4 years I flew HH-1N's. when I retired I was hired as the chief pilot for a major Sheriff's Office in the western U.S., where I currently fly an HH-1H Air Force model as well as a UH-1H model on a daily basis. Every helicopter has slightly different flying qualities and characteristics, even among exactly identical models. In my experience the Belsimtek Huey is an incredible simulation. Is it perfect? No. But neither are the multi-million dollar full motion simulators used in military training. I always used to say beware the pilot who flies the sim like an ace, he's probably a goat rope in the real thing.

As far as flight models go, it's not bad. I don't like the autorotation or vortex ring state, they are not accurate at all. It's far too easy to get in to VRS, and the helicopter tends to go nose low on entry into the auto.

However, on the whole I love flying the thing. It's as close to the real thing (outside of that big money DoD sim) that you're going to get.

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

Edited by Doogie
  • Like 3

thanks for the review captain. i also think that this helicopter loose speed after 40 kts and very quickly enters vrs. it is very hard to fly at it 20-30 kts. do you agree with this?

my other question, i think taking off and hovering is very challenging. i also have mi-8 and it is way too easier. how do you find hovering with dcs huey?

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

hahaha

:thumbup:

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

But neither are the multi-million dollar full motion simulators used in military training.

This is true of the full motion flightsims I have used during my meager 17 year fixed wing pilot career as well...

Simulating flight is too complex for man made approximations on a computer. In light of this, I think it's incredible what ED and external developers have achieved with DCS.

However, on the whole I love flying the thing. It's as close to the real thing (outside of that big money DoD sim) that you're going to get.

Thanks for sharing your observations, very interesting to read from someone with real experience! :thumbup: