Rudders in combat - Page 3 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 08-28-2015, 10:06 AM   #21
TaccoZ__Amigo1__

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerd1000 View Post
In the MiG-21 the rudder can be used to roll in high AoA turns where the ailerons are ineffective. Just apply rudder in the direction you want to roll.

That also works really well at high speed low AoA for making 90degree roll inputs really quickly for example to go defensive in the Fishbed.

Old 08-28-2015, 01:26 PM   #22
Zomba

I'm surprised at how useful the rudder is in the Mig, even at relatively higher speeds. It also has a huge amount of authority at low speed/high alpha, even more than the ailerons.
Old 09-09-2015, 07:32 AM   #23
Fri13
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zomba View Post
I'm surprised at how useful the rudder is in the Mig, even at relatively higher speeds. It also has a huge amount of authority at low speed/high alpha, even more than the ailerons.
But that is going to change in update.... At least the LNS short September update, says there is fix/change.
  • mproved drag chute physics, including chute use in stall/spin recovery (Animation is however still limited)
  • Corrected Rudder Authority (“Rudder overpowering ailerons”)
  • Added UUA Sensor animation
  • Improved Over-G weapon jettison (Dynamic Weight Calculation, per-pylon/weapon limit)

But I do agree, rudder helps and should become as second nature fairly quickly when practising.

I don't know what it means, many that ailerons have a power X and and rudder is now X+Y in power.

I remember that 4477th tested Mig-21Bis found that rudder had big effect to rolling at higher speeds and was effective way to roll it then.

Last edited by Fri13; 09-09-2015 at 07:41 AM.
Old 09-23-2015, 08:27 AM   #24
WildBillKelsoe
Veteran

You press on the side the ball is away from.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirabee View Post
As a rule of thumb, may I know if I'm to push left or right rudder when the slip ball rolls to the left or right? I've always been a little confused there. I'm new to rudder use myself but I recently picked a fairly used Saitek Pro from a friend and I'm feeling my way around with the settings and stuff. Presently, each touch of the pedals skews me wildly about and I'm hoping too that someone can put me right there. Danke schoen.

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.
Old 09-23-2015, 08:28 AM   #25
WildBillKelsoe
Veteran

I confused myself, on the ball side

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.
Old 09-23-2015, 11:17 AM   #26
sobek
Veteran

The mnemonic is to always "step on the ball", that is, whatever side the ball is on is the side you need to put your foot forward.

It may be useful, especially if being tailed in a WWII era prop, to fly uncoordinated because it makes you harder to hit. That being said, it also costs you energy so one needs to be mindful about using it.

Last edited by sobek; 09-23-2015 at 11:21 AM.

Tags
dogfight, rudders