Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library - Page 64 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 10-17-2019, 03:05 PM   #631
Charly_Owl

Hi everyone,

I’ve been asked by a few users “when’s the Viper guide coming out?”. Well, not at the moment. I have completed a number of sections already, but many of them are put on the backburner for now since the Early Access state of the F-16 is missing too many core functionalities (some sort of MEL (Minimum Equipment List) so to speak). To list a few:
  • Data Cartridge implementation
  • Manual Steerpoint creation capability
  • As a minimum, the following DED pages need to be implemented: CRUS, MARK, DEST, INS, DLNK, MAN, MAGV, BULL
  • The following DED pages are not implemented yet but I can live without them for a first iteration of the guide: TIME, FIX, ACAL, VIP, VRP, CORR, OFP, INSM, GPS, DRNG and HARM
  • As a minimum, the following MFD pages need to be implemented: WPN, DTE, FLCS
  • The following MFD pages are not implemented yet but I can live without them for a first iteration of the guide: TFR, FLIR, HAD, RCCE, RESET
  • Stores jettison
  • Fuel system model completion
  • External lights
  • Targeting pod implementation needs to be completed
  • Lead Computing Optical Gunsight (LCOS)
  • Depressible Reticle
  • Lack of DED INS page makes it impossible to monitor INS alignment status, providing negative training
  • HUD Velocity switch logic implementation
  • Active and Time to Intercept calculations for DLZ (Dynamic Launch Zone)
  • Customizable CMDS programs (not done through a text file)
  • IFF
  • Datalink

After a quick survey of what is currently implemented, these particular items are what is blocking me. While the Hornet early access model allowed basic tasks to be taught (good core functionalities to be expanded upon without much risk of negative training... but with a more restrictive set of equipment available), the early access model of the Viper focused on the availability of ordnance in lieu of core functions I listed above, which makes the Viper more capable operationally speaking (at least on paper) but less functional as a whole. The only way I could circumvent these missing features is to take screenies from another sim, but that would kind of defy the purpose of a DCS guide. Of course, there are many other missing items I have not listed but these do not actively prevent me from creating procedural tutorials. For this reason, I will wait for the Viper to be in a more mature state.

Once again, apologies if that post looked more like some sort of rant. In the meantime, I will be focusing on the upcoming JF-17.

Last edited by Charly_Owl; 10-17-2019 at 11:31 PM.
Charly_Owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 03:33 PM   #632
Alex337G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charly_Owl View Post
I will be focusing on the upcoming JF-17.

Thanks a lot ! I can't wait to play with this "exotic" plane !

:-)
Alex337G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 05:28 PM   #633
sc_neo

I just redownloaded the A-10C guide with the added booksmarks. Really cool you are adding those bit by bit to all guides. Concerning the A-10C...that guide has been out for quite some time and with a dang short of 100 pages falls a bit behind your latest guides lengthwise. Do you have plans to go all out on that guide some time in the future, or will it stay at its current scope/level of detail?
sc_neo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 06:51 PM   #634
Charly_Owl

Yes. A complete overhaul will be done once the JF-17 and F-16 guides are done and the new A-10C cockpit becomes available.
Charly_Owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 07:35 PM   #635
sc_neo

Thats great to hear! However, i've got a hunch that the A-10C might get a bigger overhaul in the not too distant future, maybe a higher suite than we currently have, or at least with some additions. At least Wags wording from the recent Mudspike AMA kinda sounds like the A-10C module will get the same treatment like the KA-50. First a visual cockpit update, and after the KA-50 is done maybe a more encompassing update to its systems.

From the Mudspike article:
"
With the upcoming revamp to the Black Shark, we’re seeing a free update to an old module combined with paid DLC to add new gizmos. Do you see this as a viable way of continuing support for all the elder modules in the back catalogue or is this something you need to try out first?
Yes. We will continue to update older content as DCS World grows, and part of that will be updating older aircraft modules like the Ka-50 and A-10C. While we will provide a free update version of these modules to existing owners, we will also provide more feature-rich versions of the module to new and existing users. These more feature rich versions will be offered to existing owners of the module at a substantial discount. Once the Ka-50 and A-10C updates are done, we’ll look at other aircraft to refresh. A big one for me would be an update to the F-5E for example."
Old 10-31-2019, 11:59 PM   #636
Emmy

The A-10C “update” is known to be cosmetic only.
Emmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 11:38 AM   #637
sc_neo

Yes, the coming visual update, thats true. But, the wording from the AMA makes it sound like there is something coming for the A-10 thereafter in the future. We'll see.
Old 11-01-2019, 12:28 PM   #638
KTFBGB

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc_neo View Post
Yes, the coming visual update, thats true. But, the wording from the AMA makes it sound like there is something coming for the A-10 thereafter in the future. We'll see.
There is. It’s well documented by wags and has been in news letters. New graphical model=free, new graphical model plus upgraded systems and features = pay. Same goes for the black shark.
KTFBGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 01:00 PM   #639
Dunbal

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTFBGB View Post
Same goes for the black shark.

Since I paid for both Blackshark AND Blackshark 2, I expect a double discount!
Dunbal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 01:09 PM   #640
KTFBGB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunbal View Post
Since I paid for both Blackshark AND Blackshark 2, I expect a double discount!
Hold your breath and see! Lol
KTFBGB is offline   Reply With Quote