Operation Snowfox - Persian Gulf PvE Playground - Page 13 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 10-02-2019, 08:21 PM   #121
rmk80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surrexen View Post
You only need 'lfs' and 'io' to be remarked out.
Yes, that works. Great, thanks

Another question, how do I know which sector is which? Do I need to look at the map (F10) for that?
rmk80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 11:48 PM   #122
Surrexen

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmk80 View Post
Yes, that works. Great, thanks

Another question, how do I know which sector is which? Do I need to look at the map (F10) for that?
To learn where the sector names are yes probably look at the F10 map. It won't take you long to learn them. The mission briefing contains which sector the target is in, and the target report will give you the bearing, range etc to target so that should help you find your way around.

I was hoping to get an update out when the F-16 dropped but ED inconveniently made the release day on a day I'm going away, so the update will have to wait until I get back early next week
Surrexen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 10:19 PM   #123
Surrexen

F-16's are here!

Changelog v115

- Important: One of the units names had to be changed (Bandar Khamir power plant) to work with the new logic for the pinpoint strike missions. Because of this, I would highly recommend you remove your progress files for the world persistency and start over from scratch to avoid any potential issues.

- F-16CM bl.50 added to Ras Al Khaimah (4 slots) and Sharjah (4 slots). Loaded with HEI-T gun ammo and no fuel tanks since we can't jettison them yet
- F/A-18C added to Sharjah (4 slots)
- F-14B added to Sharjah (4 slots)
- Plane tail numbers slightly adjusted
- More efficient code
- Pinpoint strikes can now attack ground units (the current mission target must be in the sector they were called to)
- F-15E added to the roster for pinpoint strike planes
- GameMode flag switch added which will swap the game mode between multiplayer (air starts for AI) and single player (ground starts for AI)

Note: To change the game mode into single player, go into the triggers in the mission editor and change the flag value for flag 10000 to 1 and re-save the mission (see the screenshot). The game mode is set to 0 by default which will start the mission in multiplayer mode.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen_191007_233232.png
Views:	114
Size:	494.7 KB
ID:	218794  

Last edited by Surrexen; 10-07-2019 at 10:28 PM.
Old 10-07-2019, 10:32 PM   #124
rmk80

Great! Cant wait to try this version out. I have been really enjoying your mission so far. Thank you for your efforts
rmk80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 12:15 AM   #125
Badass1982

Eager to try this mission out tonight on my private servers, but just for clarification, is it just the server that needs to do the following or do all the clients need to do it too??

Thanks

"Ok so here is the deal. Persistence is very possible, but it would require people to de-sanitize 'lfs' and 'io' which is part of MissionScripting.lua in their installations. This allows for the exporting of data from the mission into a file that can then be loaded at mission start. I imagine some people may already do this to get things like TacView to load? Anyway ... it is very possible to add it in. I figure if people are comfortable with this then I can implement it for a future version.

The downside to this is that if you want to start the mission again 'from scratch' you would need to delete the exported data before starting up the mission.

How do people feel about this? Feedback is definitely required for this one."
Badass1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 12:31 AM   #126
Surrexen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badass1982 View Post
Eager to try this mission out tonight on my private servers, but just for clarification, is it just the server that needs to do the following or do all the clients need to do it too??

Thanks

"Ok so here is the deal. Persistence is very possible, but it would require people to de-sanitize 'lfs' and 'io' which is part of MissionScripting.lua in their installations. This allows for the exporting of data from the mission into a file that can then be loaded at mission start. I imagine some people may already do this to get things like TacView to load? Anyway ... it is very possible to add it in. I figure if people are comfortable with this then I can implement it for a future version.

The downside to this is that if you want to start the mission again 'from scratch' you would need to delete the exported data before starting up the mission.

How do people feel about this? Feedback is definitely required for this one."
For what you are doing, only the host machine (server) will need it.
Old 10-13-2019, 02:55 AM   #127
Surrexen

Just a little bit of news for anyone interested.

First, I will put out an update hopefully before next weekend to add a waypoint to the F-16 groups so the targeting pod can operate properly. Was unaware this was an issue until I tried it myself last night.

Second, Operation Jupiter for Normandy WW2 is now in the process of being put together. Early days but I'm hoping to get something up for it in the next few weeks. Operation Jupiter will have both red and blue coalitions available to fly so it can be used in PvP if that is your thing. Probably won't be anywhere near as involved as Snowfox in terms of custom sounds etc but we'll see what happens.
Old 10-14-2019, 06:02 PM   #128
Twwhitey

Hey Surrexen - this mission is fantastic work.. with unit persistence in place you’ve actually created a user selectable 120+ mission campaign that can be fired up at any time. Absolutely awesome!

Question for you - I end up playing totally single player (when I can find the time) and I like to focus on SEAD and A/G missions... with all of the air defenses and enemy air units I tend to get smoked more often than not even when calling in support packages.

Would you have any recommendations on how to reduce the number of enemy air units that get spawned over the course of playing? Are there any easy to adjust settings within the mission editor I could tweak to tone down the A/A threat so I work in my AG techniques? (Either frequency of flights? or total number? Or both?) Kinda simulate having air superiority?

Not a knock on your work at all it’s fantastic - I’m just wondering if there might be a way to dumb down the overall difficulty for missile bait like myself LOL
Old 10-15-2019, 02:18 PM   #129
sgray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surrexen View Post
Yes. Whatever ground units/ships/static targets you destroy gets saved to file, and that file is loaded at mission start and whatever is in the list is removed. The actual mission objective might be different though. The mission selection part will figure out if one of the target groups is already dead etc and will select a different mission if need be.
First, just want to say WOW...what a great mission and effort on your part. We have just started using your mission, so thank you!.

In regards to the persistent scripting, if I understand it correctly you just remove whatever has already been destroyed. If that is correct, is it possible to just replace the object with a damaged and burning object so that subsequent pilots will see the damage?

EDIT: Looking at the code it appears that the static objects are exploded and smoke is added, but the units are just removed. Do I understand it correctly?
vusn.org

Last edited by sgray; 10-15-2019 at 04:33 PM.
sgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 04:18 PM   #130
MarvK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twwhitey View Post
Hey Surrexen - this mission is fantastic work.. with unit persistence in place you’ve actually created a user selectable 120+ mission campaign that can be fired up at any time. Absolutely awesome!

Question for you - I end up playing totally single player (when I can find the time) and I like to focus on SEAD and A/G missions... with all of the air defenses and enemy air units I tend to get smoked more often than not even when calling in support packages.

Would you have any recommendations on how to reduce the number of enemy air units that get spawned over the course of playing? Are there any easy to adjust settings within the mission editor I could tweak to tone down the A/A threat so I work in my AG techniques? (Either frequency of flights? or total number? Or both?) Kinda simulate having air superiority?

Not a knock on your work at all it’s fantastic - I’m just wondering if there might be a way to dumb down the overall difficulty for missile bait like myself LOL
I agree with this.

This, and Operation Clear Field are great missions. But I also find myself getting shot down far more by the A/A threats than Ground to air units. I’m simply just not a good dogfighter yet. (Still working on that )

I might be wrong, but I’m guessing that you had in mind 4-6 or more in multiplayer mode? I sometimes play with a buddy, and we’ve had on more than one occasion, 10-12 enemy fighters on the map, in the air at the same time.

Maybe a menu item to remove or reduce the quantity of A/A threats in single player mode?

Again, thanks for a great mission.
MarvK is offline   Reply With Quote