Stealth attacks on the AI now possible

Katmandu

With the latest update we now have, I quote:

AI aircraft will not react to lock by undetectable optical systems.
:thumbup:

Hunting the AI is now a lot more realistic and fun, particularly so with radar-less WW2 birds, early jets and Russian optical systems equipped MiG's and Su's.

Here is me in MiG-29A sneaking up on "Excellent" AI in F-15C:

Edited by Katmandu

Yeah that's a bigger deal than it sounds, proper AI that doesn't cheat is a rare thing out there, Starcraft 2 is one that also does it right AFAIK, but otherwise in entertainment gaming the AI's always seem to see stuff they shouldn't.

Modules: A-10C I/II, F/A-18C, Mig-21Bis, M-2000C, AJS-37, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, P-47, FC3, SC, CA, WW2AP, CE2. Terrains: NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf, Syria

Good one. This would cut the AI invincibility in certain circumstances.

I hope the AI ability to unrealistically perform manuever during dogfight could be address too. They seems not susceptible to aoa induced drag.

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

This is very welcome news. It's interesting, as a thread I created a while back, ended up discussing this very issue in depth, when I noticed an AI F-16 reacting to an IRST lock. And now we have a fix. Excellent news.

Thanks for sharing this Katmandu.

Edited by FightingFalcon

//Flaming Cliffs 3 / T16000 HOTAS / TrackIR 5 / i7 4770k@4.5GHZ / EVGA RTX 2070 / 32GB 1600MHZ RAM/ Samsung Evo 1TB SSD//

Nice. Forces some questions:

Is AI able to use Datalink to be aware of non emitting threats?

Is AI able to be warned by early warning systems like AWACS?

Do AI Wingmen warn each other if one sees a stealthy threat?

I thought about this too.

I am in doubt if AI with SA are implemented to use information on their SA display to react to threat.

I would be surprised if this is done already.

For me, I am arm with the SA page if I have awac/friendly aircraft should any enemy aircraft want to creep up on me

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

Awesome stuff :thumbup:

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

Having a camera in front of him should have ticked him off. :D

Now the AI just need to check 6 once in a while.

:lol:

Nice video example OP

Cheers,

Don

i7 6700 @4ghz, 32GB HyperX Fury ddr4-2133 ram, GTX980, Oculus Rift CV1, 2x1TB SSD drives (one solely for DCS OpenBeta standalone) Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

Airframes: A10C, A10CII, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-16C, UH=1H, FC3. Modules: Combined Arms, Supercarrier. Terrains: Persian Gulf, Nevada NTTR, Syria

I just can't believe he didn't open up with his guns, I couldn't have resisted! :D

When is this being implemented, two weeks?

Asus Z790-PLUS D4, Corsair 1000X PS / Intel i9-13900KF @5.8Gz - Corsair H150i Liquid CPU cooler, 64GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 @3192mhz / 2TB M.2 NvMe Boot Drive (DCS World Beta installed here), 1TB M.2 Data drive, 1TB WD SATA drive, Zotac Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 Trinity 24GB - Nvidia 551.76 driver / 3 Samsung LC32G53TQWUXEN 32" 7680x1440 at 144Hz  / Win11 Pro Ver.  23H2 - Build 22631.3374 TIR 5, TM Warthog HOTAS\VirPil stick base, MFG V3 Crosswind Pedals, TM MFDs  on 2 8" Lilliputs/ Simgears ICP / Varjo Aero VR

Yeah that's a bigger deal than it sounds, proper AI that doesn't cheat is a rare thing out there, Starcraft 2 is one that also does it right AFAIK, but otherwise in entertainment gaming the AI's always seem to see stuff they shouldn't.

They still cheat in DCS (for example, through simplified and unrealistic flight models) just not through sensors.

• 4 weeks later...

To continue the thread, i have now discovered that it seems AI may loose sight during dogfight. In the previous video the AI F-15 never knew about my existence, here the Su-27 saw me and then lost me it seems. Not sure if it's the clouds or not, but it is still super nice to have! :thumbup:

I'm in the 16 here, radar off.

Nice. Forces some questions:

Is AI able to use Datalink to be aware of non emitting threats?

Is AI able to be warned by early warning systems like AWACS?

Do AI Wingmen warn each other if one sees a stealthy threat?

If the AI is done well, it gets to be a modular and it is not one AI "instance" that is running, but each unit gets their own AI that is required to communicate with others to get a different situational awareness, and be able to perform autonomously with the limited information they can get by itself. Be it own sensor beam FOV, their visual scanning FOV, their prebriefing of possible locations, and their memory of the last seen positions, vectors etc. There should be delays between communications (information sharing), delays in reaction times, even some randomness, like I would like to see a AI pilot to do panic flaring in such case when they spot just missile trail coming toward etc.

Then it would be nice to see AI to perform the expected searches, like have the flight pattern for search, try to find the lost or expected enemy etc by some randomness, instead directly knowing what is where. If they lose the target, not to fly directly ahead blindly to their rear, but to perform "crazy ivan".

In flights they would perform the random checks to their six by the wingmens, do the turns, separations etc to get the different headings and perspective and really put challenge to everyone.

Edited by Fri13

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.