Help me land the F14. - Page 2 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 08-27-2019, 09:55 PM   #11
SorelRo

I'll add my 2 cents here. I have my DLC control set-up on a rotary. This way i can do small adjustments and correct how much lift i have. Using the AOA indicator and the velocity vector on the HUD allows me to trap 95% of the time. The ones that i miss are due to a poor setup in the approach.

Fly the approach at AOA speed and use the DLC to keep the velocity vector on the deck in front of the #4 wire. That's where the nose is going to plant but you still have a lot of plane behind you where the hook is. I adjust my throttle and AOA to maintain the approach with half of DLC deploye, this way i can kill lift or extend if needed. I control the rate of descent using DLC only with minimal engine input and very small stick corrections to keep me centered on the runway.

Don't forget that you can always go around and if your approach doesn't look good at 1.5 to 1 miles out there's little chance to save it.

Cheers,
SorelRo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 01:05 AM   #12
METEOP

Quote:
Originally Posted by draconus View Post
Yeah I noticed... don't you put the throttle to idle at the break?!
I would say I am around 3 on the FF with about 5 deg aoa 450kts with wings completely swept at the brake, I put full brakes out then start the break.

You think I should be lower?

i5-6600K OC@4.5Ghz, GTX 1070 OC, 32Gb RAM, M.2 NVMe SSD
Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Rudder Pro, Trackhat Clip, 1080p projector, Custom touchscreen rig, Ikarus touchscreen panel, Voice Attack, ReShade, Simshaker Aviator
METEOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 03:08 AM   #13
VampireNZ

Carrier Landing Pattern - The Break

Break Interval 15-17 Seconds
Break at 45 deg to 60 deg bank
Speed Brake - Extended
Throttles - At Idle
Level Turn at 800 Feet

VampireNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 03:19 AM   #14
Bearfoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by VampireNZ View Post
Carrier Landing Pattern - The Break

Break Interval 15-17 Seconds
Break at 45 deg to 60 deg bank
Speed Brake - Extended
Throttles - At Idle
Level Turn at 800 Feet

"Level Turn at 800 Feet" ..... SOOOOOOOOOOOO much easier said than done!! Still working on it ...
Bearfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 04:26 AM   #15
Xthedarkknight99x

Hey guys, wanted to check in. Long day at work and unfortunately its harder for me to meet up during the week. More likely on a Friday through Sunday

I am US Western time.

So after reading the comments there are somethings I was able to identify.

I have not been giving myself enough time when the wings are folder to trim out.

The other thing I noticed is that I wasn't slowing down enough.
( noticed that about 200 knots i start to feel very uncomfortable with the pitch of the aircraft like I was going to fall out of the sky.)

Things that I want to practice. Banking angles. Gear down flaps down around the break.

Thanks for the help and the offers for assistance and live guideance
Xthedarkknight99x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 04:42 AM   #16
WindyTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearfoot View Post
"Level Turn at 800 Feet" ..... SOOOOOOOOOOOO much easier said than done!! Still working on it ...
Yea don't do 60 for a level break as you will always climb if you pull more than 2 g, you may find it easier to start slightly overbanked close to 90 and then roll the bank off a you reduce the g load.

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk

GTX 1080 Has its uses
WindyTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 08:07 AM   #17
draconus

Quote:
Originally Posted by METEOP View Post
I would say I am around 3 on the FF with about 5 deg aoa 450kts with wings completely swept at the brake, I put full brakes out then start the break.

You think I should be lower?
What? I only said that you forgot to put very important bit in your instructions: "throttle idle at the break".
Old 08-28-2019, 09:20 AM   #18
METEOP

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindyTX View Post
Yea don't do 60 for a level break as you will always climb if you pull more than 2 g, you may find it easier to start slightly overbanked close to 90 and then roll the bank off a you reduce the g load.
Good point, in time I learned to 'modulate' the vertical speed at the break by changing the bank angle so that the flight path indicator stays on the horizon throughout the break.

Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Rudder Pro, Trackhat Clip, 1080p projector, Custom touchscreen rig, Ikarus touchscreen panel, Voice Attack, ReShade, Simshaker Aviator
Old 08-28-2019, 09:39 AM   #19
Bearfoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindyTX View Post

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk
Great tip! Will give this a try.
Bearfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 10:28 AM   #20
METEOP

Quote:
Originally Posted by draconus View Post
What? I only said that you forgot to put very important bit in your instructions: "throttle idle at the break".
It was deliberate on my part to omit this step.

I might be wrong, for sure not the best. I have read the mythical manuals 'cough'.

I have found that putting the throttle at idle just screws up my break big time. If I idle the throttle at the break, I do not have sufficient velocity to finish the turn without either deploying flaps before the end of the turn (which messes the whole thing up and doesn't seem a good idea to me) or increasing power, thereby creating another problem where you have too much power after leveling, leading to that dreaded 'balooning' at the end of the break.

I tried it again this morning, since there were so many changes in the FM. Nope!

By leaving the throttle at the same power than before the break, I can keep on altitude during the break and finish it pretty much on speed when leveling out.

Once level the plane decelerates further, the fpi starts dropping so I pull down the flaps to stay on altitude around 700agl. With this setup there is very little trimming to do on the downwind leg.

Try it