whats the sound like? - Page 2 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 12-23-2018, 11:49 AM   #11
imacken
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepDrummer View Post
I like the stock sounds. They really tell you what the aircraft wants.
I was just listening to my Spitfire idle after a successful mission while I was doing a few things.
It purrs so nicely.
It can be made to cackle steady just off idle sometimes.
Heaven to my ears.
My suggestion:
Crank it up in 5.1 Surround
I'm with you. I prefer the stock sound to any mod I've tried. Seems to have more depth, IMO.
Intel i7 8700K 5.0GHz · Palit RTX 2080 Ti OC Gaming Pro · ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-F · Acer 4K 32" XB321HK · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 10 · HOTAS Warthog · ThrustMaster TPR Pedals · TrackIR5 · TM F/A-18 Hornet Stick · Virpil WarBRD base · Valve Index
imacken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 03:09 AM   #12
Nealius
Veteran

I think the Spitfire sounds have been updated in 2.5.4. Earlier in 2.5 the crackling sound when cutting the throttle to idle didn't exist in the stock sounds, but now they do. The crackling sounds a bit tinny, but the overall sound design is good. I used to fly with Jafa's sound mod myself, but went back to the stock sounds for a number of reasons. While Jafa's mod has good, deep tone, the cockpit volume is 10x louder than in external view standing right next to the engine, and when doing F3 flyby shots the external sound volume is entirely way too quiet.

The initial video that was posted was mine from a while back. I had Diveplane's sound mod installed, but the replay track was recorded from a LAN session, and I later discovered that sound mods don't work on multiplayer replay tracks--or at least they didn't on my machine at that time. So I don't know if those sounds are actually stock or a mod.

The video I posted in this thread is representative of current stock sounds.

ASUS Z170 | i5-7600 | RTX2070 | 32GB DDR4 | Windows 10

Last edited by Nealius; 12-26-2018 at 03:13 AM.
Nealius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 02:17 PM   #13
DeepDrummer

I just cranked up my subwoofer almost to the point of breakup in DCS.
Any tinny sound has been replaced by a wonderful purr.
The only problem is that it is too much bass for general music and media.
If there was a way in DCS to increase the bass overall, it would be great.
Still, it is worth crawling under my desk and cranking it a bit.
More bass. Trust me. It is right on. I added +10db in the mixer for the bass and tapered everything else down to neutral at the high end as well. Sub woofer is at 50%
Win 10 pro 64 bit. Intel i7 4790 4 Ghz running at 4.6. Asus z97 pro wifi main board, 32 gig 2400 ddr3 gold ram, 50 inch 4K UHD and HDR TV for monitor. H80 cpu cooler. 8 other cooling fans in full tower server case. Soundblaster ZX sound card. EVGA 1080 TI FTW3. TM Hotas Wartog. TM T.16000M MFG Crosswinds Pedals. Trackir 5.
"Everyone should fly a Spitfire at least once" John S. Blyth
DeepDrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 02:49 PM   #14
thrustvector

yea, I use a mod now as the spit sounds I think are poor, theres not enough rumble and depth too them.
I will get around to recording the spit near me, but in the mean time the mod is good, and does not interfere with skulls huey one either
thrustvector is offline   Reply With Quote